HHN 21 Discussion

I agree I'm all for a dvd and a coffee table book, I'd buy both. Those ideas appeal to me more than shot glasses etc. They would be the perfect companions to the event. It's just I can't believe that those ideas haven't come up when they get their heads together planning the event merchandise so there must be some reason they are against it. Whatever those reasons are I'm sure there are ways to solve the potential problems they see. Come on Universal give it a try next year and see how it works out!

I agree with everyone here on a DVD or book. But I understand why they don't do it. Shooting, editing, manufacturing, and distributing a DVD (or creating a book) is far more work (and more expensive) than just having a logo printed on shirts and shot glasses. I have to think that that is the reason, which is a shame, of course.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd assume the company that did it last year charges for their services. This year Universal had a whole new social media PR company that is one of the best there is. I'm sure the money that they paid for the live feed was used for Context Optional this year.

Incorrect. Universal does use outside vendors for media production services, but that does not include social media and PR. Those are handled in-house.

As far as a coffee table book goes, they definitely are a lot of work. That being said, ours may not be officially licensed by Universal, but I think we had some pretty nice results. We'll have info on the HHN 21 book once we're a little further along.

Edited by W. Wilson

Incorrect. Universal does use outside vendors for media production services, but that does not include social media and PR. Those are handled in-house.

As far as a coffee table book goes, they definitely are a lot of work. That being said, ours may not be officially licensed by Universal, but I think we had some pretty nice results. We'll have info on the HHN 21 book once we're a little further along.

Let me rephrase, they now use Context Optional to make and maintain the Facebook (and twitter) app they use to post/schedule their social media. They do not even bother using a custom application to hide it on Twitter. When you go to one of Universal's tweets and click the method it was sent ("Social Marketing Suite") it will take you to a log in page for Context Optional.

Coffee table books is a great idea and all but I'm not sure if it'd have the same wide appeal every single other piece of HHN merch has. I don't know how many people that go to HHN would want to buy a coffee table book. DVDs on the other hand I could see being a great hit and selling as well as the hoodies and such.

Let me rephrase, they now use Context Optional to make and maintain the Facebook (and twitter) app they use to post/schedule their social media. They do not even bother using a custom application to hide it on Twitter. When you go to one of Universal's tweets and click the method it was sent ("Social Marketing Suite") it will take you to a log in page for Context Optional.

Coffee table books is a great idea and all but I'm not sure if it'd have the same wide appeal every single other piece of HHN merch has. I don't know how many people that go to HHN would want to buy a coffee table book. DVDs on the other hand I could see being a great hit and selling as well as the hoodies and such.

I think a coffee table book, produced in a limited run like the hoodies, could sell fantastically among the hardcore. Fill it to the brim with high-quality, glossy images, various stages of concept art and blueprints, construction shots, and designer anecdotes. Remember all of that jaw-dropping concept art of the scare zone characters for 2008? Imagine that in a book! Think of it like the souvenir books they always sell at Broadway shows... those sell like hotcakes.

I agree with everyone here on a DVD or book. But I understand why they don't do it. Shooting, editing, manufacturing, and distributing a DVD (or creating a book) is far more work (and more expensive) than just having a logo printed on shirts and shot glasses. I have to think that that is the reason, which is a shame, of course.

While making a DVD may be a little more expensive than making a t shirt they are a movie studio. They could handle it all without outside sources. If anyone can do it they can

Please let us know once it's complete. I'd love a copy of your HHN 21 book. The photos I have seen of yours are awesome so I can imagine how good the collection is going to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not so sure where to post this, yet today it was announced that Jaws is closing, as well as the Amity area January 2nd, 2012. That only leaves one question: Is it goodbye to the Jaws que haunted house?

Story of Jaws' Closure:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/universal-to-close-jaws-20111202,0,1429208.story

There's a thread dedicated to this on the main page. Cheers! :)

• 6 months later...

A halloween Horror Night dvd or Official collectors art book, would be the ultimate merchandise. No one can realistically say to me with a straight face and any working knowledge of how these things are done that Universal could not put these out or that it would be too much trouble. I would be able to do the dvd my damn self if given the access to the process, people, and opportunity to film some "live" footage. Other than that they just need a camera, some software, and a dvd duplicating device that goes for only about 2k...oh and a printer, not to mention a little creativity and voila...kick ass dvd. The book on the other hand would require far more man hours, due to compiling all the photos, scanning or resizing docs, and then of course the printing, But then you have an amazing piece that would sell year after year. I would assume if they did a book that they would do years past, and then do a new book every few years. Doing one for each year would be taxing, and potentially limit the content that would be in each book. I would happily pay for one of these products.

Edited by Mr.Grim