HHN 21 Discussion

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have never been to HHN on halloween night, how crowded is it usually?

The times I have gone it is always pretty quiet, however, on these nights I usually go in a few hours late. I'd go though because the improve in Bill and Ted's last show is great and the scareactors in the zones and houses are normally really crazy on this night from what I have seen. AIW was great on Halloween! the SAs were going nuts! so much funto watch!

Things that make you go WTF:

Hubby and I did Stay & Scream yesterday (as usual) and there was no one behind us in the queue so we decided to wait outside for a while, since there was a conga line in front of us. We stepped aside and waited near the entrance, and the Ops person said, "You can go in now." I said, "We're just waiting a little while." She said, "You don't want to go in?" and I replied, "No, we're just waiting for the big crowd to get through, since there's no one else coming" Then it dawned on her and she said, "You want to go through ALONE?!" Uh, no, I just love shuffling through with the rest of the cattle, missing half the scares, and quite possibly getting trampled. Busch Gardens charges $40 for the privilege of going through a house yourself, so damn straight I'm gonna take the chance when I can get it for free.

We waited in two express lines last night with a 20-30 minute wait (saws and steam and the in between). Now to be honest, it didn't really seem that they had the most compitent people scanning expresses last night, so this could have been the cause....

It's Universal. They have no competent people. Want an example? They were out of the souvenir shot glasses and were thus selling shots at $6 in a disposable plastic cup. After explaining this to me the "bartender" charged me for two shot glasses at $7.50. When I questioned him he tried to tell me that I would get refill shots if I kept the Solo plastic cup. Talk about a fucking moron.

Things that make you go WTF:

Hubby and I did Stay & Scream yesterday (as usual) and there was no one behind us in the queue so we decided to wait outside for a while, since there was a conga line in front of us. We stepped aside and waited near the entrance, and the Ops person said, "You can go in now." I said, "We're just waiting a little while." She said, "You don't want to go in?" and I replied, "No, we're just waiting for the big crowd to get through, since there's no one else coming" Then it dawned on her and she said, "You want to go through ALONE?!" Uh, no, I just love shuffling through with the rest of the cattle, missing half the scares, and quite possibly getting trampled. Busch Gardens charges $40 for the privilege of going through a house yourself, so damn straight I'm gonna take the chance when I can get it for free.

I was able to do 3 houses by myself, the Thing, The In Between, Saws and Steam,

out of the 3

The In Between Scare the Shit out of me it was sunny outside so my vision was messed up, add the 3D glasses, they really got me so good, o my god I almost ran out one room at the beginning, at the end I catch up with a couple that was going to the house by themselves, but it was cool

Saws and steam, well the actors did not try to scare me really, a couple of them did, but, was very disappointed by myself, Which i was afraid of, that if you go by yourself the actors wont scare you because it kinda happened in the thing, Although a couple of actors scared me so bad,

best house to do by yourself, The in between

My fiance and i on our first trip ever to hhn got four houses done in just under 45 mins. Thr longrst wait time we saw by the time we were done was 15 mins which was nightengales. We were able to do all thr houses w/o the express pass by 9pm. Great times indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why they didn't do the live feed again like last year...???

Well, I'd assume the company that did it last year charges for their services. This year Universal had a whole new social media PR company that is one of the best there is. I'm sure the money that they paid for the live feed was used for Context Optional this year.

Well, I'd assume the company that did it last year charges for their services. This year Universal had a whole new social media PR company that is one of the best there is. I'm sure the money that they paid for the live feed was used for Context Optional this year.

You do realize streaming online cost's very little right? With sites like uStream even you could do it for free with a computer and webcam. It's not like last years was amazing quality. I'm sure they have someone on staff that can figure out cheap streaming options. I'm guessing the real reason is for one it gave away a scare and it may have to do with web traffic for the stream last year. If they didn't convince people on the fence to spend their hard earned cash on a ticket then it didn't do it's job and was pointless to do again this year. I would like to see a constant stream in a scarezone like 7 all night every night. Of course how many regular people are going to sit at their computer and watch HHN? I'm guessing it was just the hardcore fans watching and we're going to go to the event no matter what.

You do realize streaming online cost's very little right? With sites like uStream even you could do it for free with a computer and webcam. It's not like last years was amazing quality. I'm sure they have someone on staff that can figure out cheap streaming options. I'm guessing the real reason is for one it gave away a scare and it may have to do with web traffic for the stream last year. If they didn't convince people on the fence to spend their hard earned cash on a ticket then it didn't do it's job and was pointless to do again this year. I would like to see a constant stream in a scarezone like 7 all night every night. Of course how many regular people are going to sit at their computer and watch HHN? I'm guessing it was just the hardcore fans watching and we're going to go to the event no matter what.

Streaming online via a professional company and not some live show site like uStream does have it's costs. Universal hired a professional company to stream live, the same company that streamed the opening of Harry Potter for Universal. No one from Universal sat on a bench somewhere and just turned on their terrible webcam and started streaming on uStream. They used real cameras and since they didn't have any ads the professional company has to get the money for bandwidth and all from somewhere. Video streaming takes up tons of bandwidth. You can't just use some laptop camera with HHN as you wouldn't be able to make out anything in the dark. Not to mention Universal using uStream isn't too professional looking, even when they tried to integrate it in a Facebook app this year it didn't look great.

You did hit another point though when you mentioned that it didn't convince people. I don't think for the effort and money and all it gave outstanding results, or else we'd see it back.

Streaming online via a professional company and not some live show site like uStream does have it's costs. Universal hired a professional company to stream live, the same company that streamed the opening of Harry Potter for Universal. No one from Universal sat on a bench somewhere and just turned on their terrible webcam and started streaming on uStream. They used real cameras and since they didn't have any ads the professional company has to get the money for bandwidth and all from somewhere. Video streaming takes up tons of bandwidth. You can't just use some laptop camera with HHN as you wouldn't be able to make out anything in the dark. Not to mention Universal using uStream isn't too professional looking, even when they tried to integrate it in a Facebook app this year it didn't look great.

You did hit another point though when you mentioned that it didn't convince people. I don't think for the effort and money and all it gave outstanding results, or else we'd see it back.

I was attempting to point out that if they did hire a company it wasn't something they needed to do. With a decent IT person and a decent camera they could have done the same thing for free or next to nothing. An IT person that I would think a company like Universal would have already on staff.

You say they spent a ton of money on last year's stream? For all that money spent they got a terrible quality stream. If you think that stream was good then you need to check out some of the stuff currently out there. A 500 dollar camera could have picked up things better than the camera's used last year.

You mention facebook, the technology is out there for a great HD stream. The UFC streams live HD content on facebook every other week or so. Don't even tell me Universal can't figure out how to do that themselves. If they can't I think they need to hire some better personnel, although I know they already have people that good on staff.

As for you saying they didn't have any ads so money had to come from somewhere, I would argue that the whole thing was one big ad. It was a promotional tool for Halloween Horror Nights, in my book that makes it an ad. It didn't work so I believe that's the real reason it didn't return this year.

I was attempting to point out that if they did hire a company it wasn't something they needed to do. With a decent IT person and a decent camera they could have done the same thing for free or next to nothing. An IT person that I would think a company like Universal would have already on staff.

You say they spent a ton of money on last year's stream? For all that money spent they got a terrible quality stream. If you think that stream was good then you need to check out some of the stuff currently out there. A 500 dollar camera could have picked up things better than the camera's used last year.

You mention facebook, the technology is out there for a great HD stream. The UFC streams live HD content on facebook every other week or so. Don't even tell me Universal can't figure out how to do that themselves. If they can't I think they need to hire some better personnel, although I know they already have people that good on staff.

As for you saying they didn't have any ads so money had to come from somewhere, I would argue that the whole thing was one big ad. It was a promotional tool for Halloween Horror Nights, in my book that makes it an ad. It didn't work so I believe that's the real reason it didn't return this year.

If they wanted to do it them self they'd have to set up a flash player to stream the content the decent IT person was on the street filming. Further, the decent IT person would need to buy Universal some servers or optimize their current ones for live video streaming. All of Universal's flash, the more advanced web designing, and many many other things not related is done by X Studios. So they'd more than likely end up hiring them to set them up a flash page that streamed the live content the decent IT person was filming.

I thought the stream was great quality last year. Perhaps it was your internet and or connection to the stream that was the problem. There's many other things to consider besides them using a bad camera.

Facebook marketing until this year was not a big deal for Universal. It became a much bigger focus this year when Universal hired Context Optional. To do a stream on Facebook it'd be the exact same thing as setting up an external page expect the page would be in a facebook application. Universal uses X Studios to design their facebook applications, so it'd be the same exact process as I put above with a little bit of more coding junk and such added.

When I mentioned the ads I was explaining the company that Universal hired obviously couldn't put up ads on the streaming page so they had to pay for the expenses of a server that does live video streaming and such somehow.

Ok no offense but I'm not going to argue with a little kid who seems to think he knows everything. I only work with stuff on a daily basis for a marketing/auction/shipping company here in Pa. I will make a few points and that's it.

Why would an IT person be behind the camera? I don't even know what to say to that.

You questioned my internet connection but honestly that's a joke, I have very reliable and VERY fast internet. The quality wasn't very good compared to other streams I've seen. Including one I'm watching currently on Facebook in HD.

Facebook wasn't big for Uni until this year, your right........................how does that have anything to do with them not being able to do a cheap stream on facebook this year?

My most important point I want to make is what you don't seem to realize I'm trying to say. It's cheaper long term in the real business world to do as many things in house as possible. You keep trying to throw all this knowledge at me and truth is I don't care to hear business dealings from a 14 year old.

All I'm trying to say is they should already have people currently in their employment that know how to do a cheaper stream than what they did last year if indeed they hired an outside company to do it for them. If the company I work for which employs a whole 7 people can figure out how to stream cheap, quality streams for our auctions right in our webpage and facebook, universal could do the same. It cost's us in the ballpark of 700 dollars for us to stream a 2 hour auction. I think Universal has that laying around somewhere.

Once again it all boils down to cost vs reward. Weather they hired an outside company or did it in house. There wasn't enough reward last year for them to do justify doing it this year.

I just wish that they professionally film the houses each year and maybe release them after the event or like you can buy a DVD of the event once the season is over. I don't know, but I would love that!

That would be awesome. I've always wanted them to do that. Professionally film every house, with scareactors, every scarezone and Bill and Ted. I would pay 20 maybe 25 for that DVD every year. They could just release it the following year. Basically you could get this years DVD starting right before next years event.

I'd also pay for that DVD of the houses and event. I don't think they will however as I think they are worried about giving other companies a quality platform with ideas to work from. They may also think some might just buy the DVD and not go to the event and they would be worried about losing money on food, drink and merchandising. It's a shame as I say as I'd definately buy it as a memento to aid my weak memory lol. I buy DVDs from other parks like Seaworld and Disney whenever they are available so why not here.

I would pay that just for Bill and Ted this year. The houses and scarezones would be a great bonus though

B&T would never ever happen for the same reason why the take down old B&Ts off youtube, even when the event is over.

House and scare zone videos would be awesome though. Although I could see some problems with filming in some of the zones like Nightmaze. A light would ruin the zone.

I'd also pay for that DVD of the houses and event. I don't think they will however as I think they are worried about giving other companies a quality platform with ideas to work from. They may also think some might just buy the DVD and not go to the event and they would be worried about losing money on food, drink and merchandising.

they've done it before with the "Art of the Scare" DVD back in 02, though it was travel channel and not just Uni.

if people just getting the DVD and not going to the event is a problem, then they could sell them during the event only in the park. i would love for them to do it again. it would be nice to always have WN & IB to watch in acton.

Edited by foREVer56

they've done it before with the "Art of the Scare" DVD back in 02, though it was travel channel and not just Uni.

if people just getting the DVD and not going to the event is a problem, then they could sell them during the event only in the park. i would love for them to do it again. it would be nice to always have WN & IB to watch in acton.

I agree I'm all for a dvd and a coffee table book, I'd buy both. Those ideas appeal to me more than shot glasses etc. They would be the perfect companions to the event. It's just I can't believe that those ideas haven't come up when they get their heads together planning the event merchandise so there must be some reason they are against it. Whatever those reasons are I'm sure there are ways to solve the potential problems they see. Come on Universal give it a try next year and see how it works out!