HHN 21 Discussion

Please explain to me how they "Dropped the ball"? Ever think that they intentionally "dropped the ball"? As if it was an extra teaser aka Hal Geluk. What better way to hype up conversation other than, "Oh no Universal is going to be angry because Burger King leaked the window cling!" Did they or was it planned? How about this short commercial clip, only on the internet? Where they know people like us will look and help "leak". All I have to say to Universal A&D/Marketing...GENIUS!!!

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are really off base with your perception of the "general public." This can likened to the buildup for Assasin's Creed really. Back in 2007 I was a hardcore gamer. There was so much hype and buildup with Assassin's Creed that ultimately many of us in the hardcore community were let down. But many of my friends in college and people who I knew in general knew nothing of the game besides that it was supposed to be epic. And they were happy with the finished product while people such as myself thought "this could have been so much more. What a let down." Just today I was listening to The BS on 104.1 and they recieved a card from HHN and incorrectly recalled that last year was Ripped from the Silver Screen. There really is no way to please hardcore fans. Half will think the build up is awesome and will get exited, while the other half will contend it's a let down before the whole thing has even started. Especially in this age of digital media that we live in where almost anything can be leaked in some fashion.

Please explain to me how they "Dropped the ball"? Ever think that they intentionally "dropped the ball"? As if it was an extra teaser aka Hal Geluk. What better way to hype up conversation other than, "Oh no Universal is going to be angry because Burger King leaked the window cling!" Did they or was it planned? How about this short commercial clip, only on the internet? Where they know people like us will look and help "leak". All I have to say to Universal A&D/Marketing...GENIUS!!!

Burger King they went with, the commercial was too much. That's how I see it anyway - Universal acknowledged the Burger King leak with Hal and flexibly built it into their social media campaign, but the commercial was clearly not supposed to happen - Universal continuously deleted it from their Facebook page and Hal (who has posted since) has made no mention of it. Obviously, the feedback to the (incomplete) commercial wasn't particularly positive, and as Horus pointed out, first impressions are everything, so that probably wasn't a good thing for them.

That said, under then these leaks, Universal's social media marketing has been top-notch this year!

I guess it remains to be seen. The things you mentioned were minor (at least to me) and are easily edited.

In a 15 sec commercial, where is the announcer supposed to come in?

Sound effects can change 8-9 times in different revisions of a spot. This one is extremely short...

I'm more interested in hearing and old timey song... "Luck be a Lady" fits perfectly.

When have they EVER shown the kill?

I agree on the voice.

4th wall issue doesn't bother me as it happens after the kill.

As for the other side... time will tell. Hard to judge what will happen when it isn't clear what happens.

My biggest qualm is that they allowed the first impression to be ruined. Because it will be over analyzed and picked apart until they show the full one.

To me, that makes the most sense. I think Marketing is trying to think of ways to build the hype even further by asking BK and the television affiliate to "leak" the commercial and cups/ads on purpose so that it drives people to the site/Facebook to find out what all is going on. I think it is a brilliant ploy by the Marketing team, if it is the case.

The fact that the commercial is still up on YouTube and Universal hasn't tried to get them pulled (that would actually make a great marketing gimmick) means they most likely expected or even wanted to get this "leaked", so to speak.

Also, interesting they got Fergie to work HHN for them. :P

I guess it remains to be seen. The things you mentioned were minor (at least to me) and are easily edited.

In a 15 sec commercial, where is the announcer supposed to come in?

See the commercials from 2007, 2008, and 2009 - the action all occurred, and THEN the announcer came in and did the "Halloween Horror Nights..." spiel. If he narrates the action, it's no longer scary.

Sound effects can change 8-9 times in different revisions of a spot. This one is extremely short...

We'll see.

I'm more interested in hearing and old timey song... "Luck be a Lady" fits perfectly.

Exactly. Sort of go for the 2003 "You Oughta Be in Pictures" vibe...

When have they EVER shown the kill?

They haven't shown the gore or anything - too intense for a TV spot - but they've always explained what was ABOUT to happen to the victim. 2002? Open, living surgery. 2003? Electrocution or the hooks. 2005? Anvil on the bed of nails. 2006? Sliced through the coffin. 2007? Chainsaw'd. 2008? Mary's attack. 2009? Mauled by Wolfman/stabbed by Chucky. 2010? Worst example, but "eaten" I guess. 2011? He's... on a wheel. And he "lost." There has to be some clear danger shown - like Lady Luck holding a "spade" blade of some sort, and is ABOUT to stab him when he "loses" and then the commercial cuts.

I agree on the voice.

4th wall issue doesn't bother me as it happens after the kill.

It's not even so much the 4th wall issue I guess - it's how CHEESY the line is, and how it's delivered. I don't want to hate on the actress too much, but good god it just sounds awful and campy. It's not threatening.

As for the other side... time will tell. Hard to judge what will happen when it isn't clear what happens.

My biggest qualm is that they allowed the first impression to be ruined. Because it will be over analyzed and picked apart until they show the full one.

If it isn't in the commercial, it won't matter to the public's perception sadly. The general public has spoken of what they think of the shown portrayal of the icon.

Responses above in bold. Once again - I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Based on the reactions here and at the Facebook page I must conclude that I am now completely out of synch with most fans of HHN.

I guess it's probably because I'm older than most of you? I don't know.

But for me Lady Luck is one of the best and most powerful Icons I have ever seen, and I'm talking about the part you have all seen, not her so-called "dark side".

Maybe it reflects on the devaluing of women in a male dominated society, or perhaps on young male machismo, I don't know. But let me tell you there is nothing more frightening than to be in the presence of a really, really pissed off woman.

There is very little chance that any of you will ever be killed by an evil clown, creepy mortician, ghoulish theater usher nor be a victim in a snuff film.

But, I fully expect that very many of you will at some point in your life will anger a woman so badly that she will rip your life to bloody pieces, although hopefully not literally, it will hurt as much if not more.

maybe that's why so many of you immediately hate Lady Luck, she strikes too close to home.

I think she's utterly awesome, as terrifying and deadly as the storm that's ripping up the east coast at this very minute.

Based on the reactions here and at the Facebook page I must conclude that I am now completely out of synch with most fans of HHN.

But for me Lady Luck is one of the best and most powerful Icons I have ever seen, and I'm talking about the part you have all seen, not her so-called "dark side".

Maybe it reflects on the devaluing of women in a male dominated society, or perhaps on young male machismo, I don't know. But let me tell you there is nothing more frightening than to be in the presence of a really, really pissed off woman.

There is very little chance that any of you will ever be killed by an evil clown, creepy mortician, ghoulish theater usher nor be a victim in a snuff film.

But, I fully expect that very many of you will at some point in your life will anger a woman so badly that she will rip your life to bloody pieces, although hopefully not literally, it will hurt as much if not more.

maybe that's why so many of you immediately hate Lady Luck, she strikes too close to home.

I think she's utterly awesome, as terrifying and deadly as the storm that's ripping up the east coast at this very minute.

It's the acting that bothers me. Not the concept or the fact that she's a woman. The acting/her voice just removes any sense of menace from her character. Keep in mind that most people want escape in HHN - we desire more fantastical things. No one is looking for a house that takes place in the streets of New York where thugs come out and assault you.

It's the acting that bothers me. Not the concept or the fact that she's a woman. The acting/her voice just removes any sense of menace from her character.

Couldn't agree more. The voice, the mannerisms, and the look inspire laughter more than anything else given that this individual is suppose to extract fear from people. I was a huge critic of "Fear" last year but this new character makes even his flamboyant self look downright terrifying.

Guys, I bet that the event will still be fantastic and as awesome as we expected, even if the icon is scary or not scary. I want to see more of Lady Luck before I can judge and if she's still not what I expected and not scary, than I'll still have all of the 8 houses, 6 scarezones, and 2 shows to enjoy anyways.

Edited by Terra Guard

So I've been thinking about this "other side" to Lady Luck and an idea popped up (work has slowed so now I have more time to think of these things)

Its been mentioned that there are 2 dresses indicating 2 people (which has been stated that there are not). So 2 personallities? Sounds very resonable...but I'd like to offer a different idea. Some have said that maybe she transforms like a Jekyl and Hyde type. That would fall under the "other side" descriptions but not the hint UO gave about "not seeing ALL of her yet". Also, there's the "she is two-faced" speculation / descriptions....So where am I going with this? Its a far stretch but what if Lady Luck literally had 2 faces. Think the mayor from Nightmare Before Christmas. Her head does a slow 180 turn (like Exorcist, half way), she parts her red hair and BAM another, more evil looking face gazes back at you before you meet your end. I know, not very human...but its supposed to be all new and different this year. It would also explain the multiple female scareactors said to have been cast in what is supposedly her SZ. Thoughts?

It's the acting that bothers me. Not the concept or the fact that she's a woman. The acting/her voice just removes any sense of menace from her character. Keep in mind that most people want escape in HHN - we desire more fantastical things. No one is looking for a house that takes place in the streets of New York where thugs come out and assault you.

I gotta agree 100 percent, if I want to see an angry woman I'll stop here in England and save a fortune lol. I want to see some imaginative, scary and otherworldly. It's definately not the fact that she's a woman as one of my favorite icons was Bloody Mary, she was scary just to look at.

I cannot of course make my decision on her until weve seen the full Lady Luck. It wouldn't be fair. My thoughts are based on my first impression which do unfortunately last. I'll be happier if she is Lady Hawthorn because then at least there will be a reason why were watching a woman in an evening gown rather than a otherworldly creature.

Regardless of whether she improves I still think it will be a great event.

So I've been thinking about this "other side" to Lady Luck and an idea popped up (work has slowed so now I have more time to think of these things)

Its been mentioned that there are 2 dresses indicating 2 people (which has been stated that there are not). So 2 personallities? Sounds very resonable...but I'd like to offer a different idea. Some have said that maybe she transforms like a Jekyl and Hyde type. That would fall under the "other side" descriptions but not the hint UO gave about "not seeing ALL of her yet". Also, there's the "she is two-faced" speculation / descriptions....So where am I going with this? Its a far stretch but what if Lady Luck literally had 2 faces. Think the mayor from Nightmare Before Christmas. Her head does a slow 180 turn (like Exorcist, half way), she parts her red hair and BAM another, more evil looking face gazes back at you before you meet your end. I know, not very human...but its supposed to be all new and different this year. It would also explain the multiple female scareactors said to have been cast in what is supposedly her SZ. Thoughts?

That's a great idea but how would they pull it off makeup wise? You have to remember that at Halloween Horror Nights there is no cgi. I just don't see how they could pull it off. It would be rather crazy if they did.

How have they dropped the ball? What is there to handle?

ok, for one... any company out there wants to control and manage how information gets into the hands of the public.. and more so what the initial impression is. Fist impressions are everything, especially in marketing. Now, when you set a date to reveal your information to the public, you want to make sure they see what you want them to see FIRST, and then anything after is ancillary. So Universal decides to do the reveal on Aug 31st... and a week before that all the marketing images and a cut of the commercial that they done want as the first impression is released to the public.

THAT is the definition of dropping the ball, that is failure to manage your message. pure and simple.

The Website. unengaging, gives very little buildup for the event and the game is as said, a walking disaster because your casual visitor is going to be banished quickly, never return, and have a bad impression of the event. When designing a "game" for marketing it should be used for drawing the user into your site... keeping them there longer and engaging them. Make them interested and give them a connection to the event. This game basically limits their time on the site and then drives them off.

And once again... as far as getting the diehards stoked. The more you tease, and the more you build up... the farther and harder you fall when you fail to meet expectations. People know they can do better... once again look at 2008. Everything for that was well managed and designed. HHN not only has to live up to expectations of past events (which to some is quite low after the last 2 years) , but also expectations that fans build up... it makes it a hard fall when they dont meet those expectations.

so that is 3 ways....

more to come as more is revealed....

You nailed it. 100% agree with you

Exactly, we are expecting something that blows our minds, we know UO can do much better than this spot, 'cause they've done it before flawlessly.

Anyway, as you said, it's not fair to make a snap judgment about her character until we've seen the full reveal, but first impressions last.

I still have high hopes for the event, and overall Lady Luck is a great concept...let's wait and see how it goes from here.

That's a great idea but how would they pull it off makeup wise? You have to remember that at Halloween Horror Nights there is no cgi. I just don't see how they could pull it off. It would be rather crazy if they did.

Well we could speculate a bunch of ways it could be done but if its not what's happening then there's probably no use in doing it.

But, for arguements sake and since I put it out there, I'll bite and propose one idea:

2 actors: one "regular" Luck, one "dark side" Luck. Regular luck is a person in make-up and gown. Have a wig for the red hair but seen from behind (back of head) maybe there's an eye and nose indicating a face mostly covered by hair. Then ad a scar around the neck to simulate the ability to do a head turn. For "dark side" Luck, same thing only different gown and make-up. Now "regular" Luck is the "back of the head" and just have the eye be a different color and on the opposing side of the "face". Like wearing mask backwards and adding hair.

Again, its just fun thinking of the "how" but if its not what's happening then probably no use trying to speculate further. Thanks for indulging though.

I don't want to put a bad taste in anyone's mouth again about the commercial... but.... the commercial....

I think Universal knows that this "Lady Luck" is not as scary as we wanted. That's why they dropped that hint picture in the commercial that someone has awesomely captured. The idea of a jeckyl and hyde icon was made while back by a lot of people, and its fitting to say that lady luck could be just that. Universal HAS to have something up their sleeve; we know how creative they have been with backstories and icons before the events start. They even posted something on twitter saying "For those of you who think you have seen the face of HHN 21: You haven't seen anything yet." All of this ties in with the fact that whenever we have seen a card of the Queen of Spades (Lady Luck) we only see one half of the Queen's figure. Perhaps the other half, the upside-down part, is her evil side. Maybe she is a schizophrenic. Another thing is how well Universal has been toying with hardcore fans over these past few years. the interactive games, though based on luck, are still meant for those who are passionate for the event. Last year they had the pictures in the flame in the lantern to represent the icons of the past. Why would Universal regress the grip they had on hardcore fans? Answer is they didn't. Uni has hinted the darker theme for the event that most of us still have not comprehended. The quote I have shown and the hidden pic in the video are ample evidence they Uni has not truly revealed what the event is all about. Everything seems so dark in the event besides this commercial, maybe they are tricking us. Now I know this is a lot of information you have seen before, and maybe not, but I just wanted to compile evidence in a single post.

There is a reason so many of the "insiders" have been iterating that you haven't seen the other side of Luck. We mean it. A lot, as far as Luck's character, is missing. A whole lot.

Honestly, it would be best to just drop it until you see what we mean. You haven't seen the scary part.

And regarding the Poe scene being in a tent... remember Catacombs. A couple of rooms had walls that went up twenty feet, the Baby Crypt and "Narrow Passage" specifically.

I will put this out there - I'm holding out hope that this situation improves. What I'm more concerned about is that whatever "scary" side there is to this icon, it's not going to be shown in the commercial or other print ads. This leads to a poor representation of the icon and a poor opinion with the average joe. Is this "scary side" going to be seen in the final cut of the commercial? If so, then I'll shut up.

As for Poe - going off of the curved nature of the structure, I would imagine those rooms (and this room) were towards the center of the house, where the ceiling was slightly higher, yes? I'm so happy that the tent houses' production values continue to increase each year... well, ignoring the fact that Tent 2 has used the same layout since the Funhouse I think? Any chance we'll actually get a new layout this year?

Guest HHNPicMan

Dr. Jimmy, I think this is a repeat of what happen last year with Bill & Ted. It seemed as if you and I were in the minority liking B&T last year. This year, it seems as if we are yet again in the minority. Of course, I know that there are a few others on here that like the icon so far, as we know her to date.

Personally, I think the icon "Luck" works rather nicely. If anything, at least the commercial has someone that can actually be portrayed in the park this year. Last year we only had a set of teeth on the commercial that was obviously not going to be portrayed in the park. Also, I think Universal is toying with us like never before. Like others have said, the video still has not been pulled, thus, I can see this as a marketing ploy. With the release of the statement about not seeing "anything yet," I say that this is something to get us stirring. Soon, something even better will be released and boy, wouldn't that make us look kind of crazy.

You know, wouldn't that be something if all this was occurring to see who really could be trusted? Maybe our sources are testing us, with incomplete material. Well, we can stop there.

But anyways, I think luck will be played out differently that what the little clip of a commercial has shown us. Perhaps, this was a version that was edited to release exclusively to the fan community. You know, when they film commercials, they tend to film lots and lots of extras takes that will never end up being seen. Perhaps this is what we are seeing with this short 30 second spot. You never know!

Personally, I think the icon "Luck" works rather nicely. If anything, at least the commercial has someone that can actually be portrayed in the park this year. Last year we only had a set of teeth on the commercial that was obviously not going to be portrayed in the park. Also, I think Universal is toying with us like never before. Like others have said, the video still has not been pulled, thus, I can see this as a marketing ploy. With the release of the statement about not seeing "anything yet," I say that this is something to get us stirring. Soon, something even better will be released and boy, wouldn't that make us look kind of crazy.

You know, wouldn't that be something if all this was occurring to see who really could be trusted? Maybe our sources are testing us, with incomplete material. Well, we can stop there.

But anyways, I think luck will be played out differently that what the little clip of a commercial has shown us. Perhaps, this was a version that was edited to release exclusively to the fan community. You know, when they film commercials, they tend to film lots and lots of extras takes that will never end up being seen. Perhaps this is what we are seeing with this short 30 second spot. You never know!

It's not a marketing ploy. It's a nice idea, but it pretty clear at this point it isn't. Hal becoming a Burger King employee after Luck was put up, constantly deleting the commercial from the Facebook page, but not actually acknowledging it, the sudden increase in updates today, all of that screams of a marketing team trying to cover there own asses. It's important to note that the people who posted the video aren't just some fans... they're advertisers for the event. They pay Universal to use the commercial. Requesting advertisors to pull a commercial is a bad bad bad for several reasons. Bad PR. Potential loss of an advertiser and loss of money. It's bad. And it's the main reason why it wasn't pulled. I'm sure if it was an individual fan who posted it, it would have been pulled and Legal would have been contacted. There is HUGE difference.

Regarding the "trust" thing, there's a reason several of the "insiders" are saying, "Wait,there's more." If anything, the lack of leaks should prove whose trustworthy this year. While conspiracies are fun when things go "wrong" or unexpectedly, they very rarely are true. More often then not, people just mess up.

Guest HHNPicMan

It's not a marketing ploy. It's a nice idea, but it pretty clear at this point it isn't. Hal becoming a Burger King employee after Luck was put up, constantly deleting the commercial from the Facebook page, but not actually acknowledging it, the sudden increase in updates today, all of that screams of a marketing team trying to cover there own asses. It's important to note that the people who posted the video aren't just some fans... they're advertisers for the event. They pay Universal to use the commercial. Requesting advertisors to pull a commercial is a bad bad bad for several reasons. Bad PR. Potential loss of an advertiser and loss of money. It's bad. And it's the main reason why it wasn't pulled. I'm sure if it was an individual fan who posted it, it would have been pulled and Legal would have been contacted. There is HUGE difference.

Regarding the "trust" thing, there's a reason several of the "insiders" are saying, "Wait,there's more." If anything, the lack of leaks should prove whose trustworthy this year. While conspiracies are fun when things go "wrong" or unexpectedly, they very rarely are true. More often then not, people just mess up.

All great points and stated very well. I was just poking at the people who seem to be ripping away at what they have seen so far. I always find it particularly funny when people come out with statements that are negative toward the event before HHN even happens. Not to mention, I see about 75% of the people on here have already made their minds up about something that we really do not even know about, with the exception of a few, of course!

But, great thoughts, and don't worry, the whole conspiracy thing was mostly for fun!!! ;)

Just guessing here but I would think that due to red and black being the colors on the roulette wheel I would assume that landing on red means you get the red headed lady luck but should you land on black you get the raven haired fate. Meaning her appearances changes by a spin of the wheel. Perhaps the ring is the source that allows her to do this.