HHN 21: Our Mutual Friend

JDW

Two questions -

1) How does "Talk" relate to "Count?"

2) Why are in taking apart words to found "Count?"

1. Another word for talk is count as in telling your account of things, or tales.

2. I didn't take anything apart just highlighted the same occurrences in the the clues.

If there is an Icon which I feel that Lady Luck would fit the bill. She would be a sort of teller kind of person like Elsa Strict.

We will view her history in the form of a walk through of tales, or misfortunes of others via the Mazes. ROF perhaps?

Just throwing it out there to discuss. Some here may expressed their discontent when others like me post things like this, so I my intent is not to fuel an argument. Just thinking out loud if you will.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe talk in the first clue was there to specifically point us to what those three men actually were known to say. All three are associated with the phrase "another thing" pointing clearly to the Thing House which is quite literally about "another Thing".

God's Own County (note the capitalization) is a nickname for Yorkshire, thus a return to New Yorkshire where we already know they remove one's body's bounty as a regular occurrence.

Count in the third clue points to Count Floyd, Joe Flaherty's SCTV character who like Vampira (Maila Nurmi) was a Vampire Television Horror Movie Host.

So there may be another reason why count keeps coming up, but perhaps the clue is more simple and has a more obvious meaning. Also all the clues may form a longer poem giving us each house, and in good poetic fashion certain words and sounds will be repeated.

I think that the misspelling of cemetery is deliberate and significant, as is the blue light. What exactly this refers to, I have not yet deduced, but it seems to suggest something oddly familiar which I cannot quite recall. I had thought about King's Pet Sematry, but then why a different misspelling? Blue Light may be moonlight as Jeff has suggested, but perhaps that too is reading too much into it.

It may be something more basic and familiar. Where do we encounter blue lights? Two things pop up right away, Police cars and K-Mart. Cops would become irritated by folks messing about in cemeteries at night. Is the dreaded blue light the police come to apprehend?

Or perhaps there is meant a connection to K-Mart? S-Mart? Or something else? Oddly enough K-Mart has presented for many years an online video game of a haunted house. Could we see an adaptation of this famous house? This is probably too far fetched as well.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is the best. Until we can figure something else out my best guess (which is probably wrong or incomplete) would be a house set in a haunted graveyard. The most likely location for this based on what little we know and the code-word names of scareactors would be I think Sprung Tent 1. Floating Head, Gutter, Star and Shoes Man could fit such a house I think. Star may even be the ghostly blue light. Shoes Man makes me think of how people are often buried without shoes.

Hopefully whatever the obvious and yet still ungrasped meaning of this clue will become evident to one of us in the near future. But the more elaborate interpretations I fear are likely wrong.

1. Another word for talk is count as in telling your account of things, or tales.

2. I didn't take anything apart just highlighted the same occurrences in the the clues.

If there is an Icon which I feel that Lady Luck would fit the bill. She would be a sort of teller kind of person like Elsa Strict.

We will view her history in the form of a walk through of tales, or misfortunes of others via the Mazes. ROF perhaps?

Just throwing it out there to discuss. Some here may expressed their discontent when others like me post things like this, so I my intent is not to fuel an argument. Just thinking out loud if you will.

I just wasn't entirely sure what your train of thought was. I pay attention to your postings, so I wasn't sure where you were trying to go with that. I do like the idea of our "icon's" story being told through the houses. It would extraordinarily reminiscent of Mary.

So there may be another reason why count keeps coming up, but perhaps the clue is more simple and has a more obvious meaning. Also all the clues may form a longer poem giving us each house, and in good poetic fashion certain words and sounds will be repeated.

I think that the misspelling of cemetery is deliberate and significant, as is the blue light. What exactly this refers to, I have not yet deduced, but it seems to suggest something oddly familiar which I cannot quite recall. I had thought about King's Pet Sematry, but then why a different misspelling? Blue Light may be moonlight as Jeff has suggested, but perhaps that too is reading too much into it.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is the best. Until we can figure something else out my best guess (which is probably wrong or incomplete) would be a house set in a haunted graveyard. The most likely location for this based on what little we know and the code-word names of scareactors would be I think Sprung Tent 1. Floating Head, Gutter, Star and Shoes Man could fit such a house I think. Star may even be the ghostly blue light. Shoes Man makes me think of how people are often buried without shoes.

Hopefully whatever the obvious and yet still ungrasped meaning of this clue will become evident to one of us in the near future. But the more elaborate interpretations I fear are likely wrong.

Jimmy, I think we should focus more on the "voice" of this last clue. It's different from the others. It's from a different era, with its "'Tis," and "Lest" and "Cemetaries." While the details should be interpretted quite literally, the voice is something completely different from what we have seen prior to this one (which should dispell the notion of the clues tying together. Even "The Waste Land" maintained a singular voice). The first three were strictly content, this one has very little "content" to go on. If you think about it, the voice has a very "Old English" quality to it, which gives us even more information than just the words would.

The "Blue Moon" thought was my immediate thought when I read the clue, however the more I ponder it the more I think it is strictly ghosts and that the voice is more important.

I agree with you Legacy

'Tis wise to avoid cemetaries by night, Lest one should encounter the dreaded blue light.

Reminds me of Christmas as far as language goes.

Here is The Blue Light by the Grimm Brothers LINK ( Fairy Tales ) - Disaster maybe

Edited by Sinister

Jeff has a good point, the word cemetery was often spelled cemetary before the year 1890. If HOS wasn't doing a Poe house, I would be thinking along those lines. But other writers have used archaic spelling for effect.

Laz, I somehow don't think Grimm's fairy tale applies here either. There are unfortunately so many ghostly blue lights is horror and other traditions. I can think of off the top of my head, the will 'o the wisp, the strange lights Jonathan Harker saw on the coach trip to Dracula's castle, The House of Blue Lights in Indiana, the sexually explicit gay horror story "Blue Light" by Aaron Travis and Leni Riefenstahl's witch movie - none of which do I believe would apply here.

Maybe there is something else in the exact choice of words that escapes us?

Hey guys, this is my second post, I'm also a long time reader on HNN as well as on the Vault, blah, blah, blah (you know how it goes).

Anyway, when I saw the new clue I immediately though about one of my favorite book, Stephen King's horror novel/cult classic movie "Pet Sematary" (yes it's spelled SEMATARY).

Now, take a look at the book cover:

10583.jpg

When Lewis (the main character) follows Victor (the ghost) to the Pet Sematary, he sees this creepy blue light, which is meant to represent some kind of barrier between the world of the living and the world of the dead. He's advised many times not to go there, but well, we all know how it ends.

Having said that, does this mean we are going to see a Pet Sematary house/scare zone this year? Or could this be a mere coincidence??

Stephen King has so much good material that had never been exploited in HHN (maybe only IT?), a Pet Sematary house could be awesome.

What do u think?

Ely,

Pet Sematary also crossed my mind when I was thinking about this clue.

Jeff has a good point, the word cemetery was often spelled cemetary before the year 1890. If HOS wasn't doing a Poe house, I would be thinking along those lines. But other writers have used archaic spelling for effect.

Laz, I somehow don't think Grimm's fairy tale applies here either. There are unfortunately so many ghostly blue lights is horror and other traditions. I can think of off the top of my head, the will 'o the wisp, the strange lights Jonathan Harker saw on the coach trip to Dracula's castle, The House of Blue Lights in Indiana, the sexually explicit gay horror story "Blue Light" by Aaron Travis and Leni Riefenstahl's witch movie - none of which do I believe would apply here.

Maybe there is something else in the exact choice of words that escapes us?

Is there a reason Universal couldn't do a Poe house just because HOS is doing a Poe house? I don't think that's enough of a reason to dispel the idea.

Guest HHNPicMan

It may be something more basic and familiar. Where do we encounter blue lights? Two things pop up right away, Police cars and K-Mart. Cops would become irritated by folks messing about in cemeteries at night. Is the dreaded blue light the police come to apprehend?

You know Dr. Jimmy, when you said Police cars, for some strange reason I instantly thought of a hat similar to this...

bobby+hat.png

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I could see a london bobby chasing you around a graveyard at night.

You know Dr. Jimmy, when you said Police cars, for some strange reason I instantly thought of a hat similar to this...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I could see a london bobby chasing you around a graveyard at night.

Ok the cemetery and the bobby makes me think of the Highgate Vampire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highgate_Vampire, but that doesn't tie in the Blue light as far as I can recall

Not to step on JWFearman's toes, but I fear he's busy at work and I want to make sure you guys have the new clue:

Había cuatro naves y se fue de España; Navegó por el sol, el viento y la lluvia. Tres barcos continuaron explorando, Pero, ¿qué pasó con el número cuatro?

"There were four ships and left Spain, sailed by the sun, wind and rain. Three ships continued to explore, But what about number four?"

Very cool! : )

This was from Google Translator, so forgive me that it's not grammatically correct. I don't know Spanish.

Clue Translated:There were four ships and left Spain, sailed by the sun, wind and rain. Three ships continued to explore, But what about number four?

This makes me think of the legend of the Bermuda Triangle which actually started in the 1500s during the height of trading between Spain and the Americas. I have nothing else, at the moment.

This seems to point directly to Christopher Columbus' 4th voyage in which he had 4 ships. They sailed into a hurricane where 500 lives were lost including the governor Fransico de Bobadilla. (code name in one of the houses) http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

Later on in the voyage a ship gets stranded in a river in Panama.

Edited by HHNJen

This seems to point directly to Christopher Columbus' 4th voyage in which he had 4 ships. They sailed into a hurricane where 500 lives were lost including the governor Fransico de Bobadilla. (code name in one of the houses) http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

Later on in the voyage a ship gets stranded in a river in Panama.

Cool a ghost ship maybe. If they add wind machines and a howling wind soundtrack this could be a really cool house. Im presuming this is possibly where the request for Spanish speaking scareactors ties in.

Hey I see you've been struggling with that one, Spanish is my mother tongue, so here's the correct translation:

"Había cuatro naves y se fue de España; Navegó por el sol, el viento y la lluvia. Tres barcos continuaron explorando, Pero, ¿qué pasó con el número cuatro? "

"There were four ships and he/she left Spain, he/she sailed through the sun, the wind and the rain. Three ships continued exploring, But what happened to number four?"

Ok, so it has to be about Christopher Columbus first voyage.

In 1492 he sailed from Spain to prove the Earth's roundness, but also to search for a western route to the Orient.

He ended discovering America and landed in the Bahamas, marking the beginning of the European exploration and colonization of the American continent.

In this voyage, he sailed with three ships according to most history books: La Pinta (The Painted), La Niña (The Little Girl) and The Santa Maria (St. Mary).

BUT recent studies have shown that he actually sailed with not three but four ships, and the last one - called "San Jose" (St. Joseph) - got lost in the Bermudas Triangle and never made it.

I think here is where the clue is heading to: a Spanish ghost ship.

Does anyone else think that, "'Tis wise to avoid cemetaries by night, Lest one should encounter the dreaded blue light," goes together with the crypt game on the website? Each crypt's lantern glows blue if you use the proper key to unlock it, and when all three are unlocked they open to reveal a blinding blue light that fills their entrances. The title Lady on Elizabeth Hawthorn's grave fits the vernacular of this clue as well.

Does anyone else think that, "'Tis wise to avoid cemetaries by night, Lest one should encounter the dreaded blue light," goes together with the crypt game on the website? Each crypt's lantern glows blue if you use the proper key to unlock it, and when all three are unlocked they open to reveal a blinding blue light that fills their entrances. The title Lady on Elizabeth Hawthorn's grave fits the vernacular of this clue as well.

Absolutely. 100%.

Había cuatro naves y se fue de España; Navegó por el sol, el viento y la lluvia. (There were four ships that left Spain, sailed by the sun, wind and rain.)

Tres barcos continuaron explorando, Pero, ¿qué pasó con el número cuatro? (Three ships continued to explore, But what about number four?)

My two cents. Pirates... or simply ships. But one got shipwrecked.