HHN XXI Speculation II

So went back through and re-read some of this thread and after re-reading it I decided to comment on something. Everyone keeps putting so much stock in the phrase "a new era of fear." I think it should be pointed out that last year when A&D came up with that slogan they had no plans for the future. It was a slogan created for buzz and marketing. In a way they have cursed themselves this year cause everything they do will be scrutinized under the assumption that its suppose to be this bold new vision. Yes we have many new things to look forward to this year but don't try to hold A&D to this promise of an all new era of fear.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So went back through and re-read some of this thread and after re-reading it I decided to comment on something. Everyone keeps putting so much stock in the phrase "a new era of fear." I think it should be pointed out that last year when A&D came up with that slogan they had no plans for the future. It was a slogan created for buzz and marketing. In a way they have cursed themselves this year cause everything they do will be scrutinized under the assumption that its suppose to be this bold new vision. Yes we have many new things to look forward to this year but don't try to hold A&D to this promise of an all new era of fear.

Going on the "era" concept, look at the site. In th legacy section we have era's(expansion, iconic,etc.) many houses and character's have been seen in other era's( Jack, Scary Tales.) This new era doesn't mean everything will be wiped away and we could still see sequels and reusage of characters, and not just the one's from last year.

Edited by killswitch22

After reading the post about the roulette wheel in the commercial, I immediately thought of the Saw VI scene where the team of people are tied to one of those playground wheels, and they slowly spin until one stops infront of the shotgun. Crazzzzzzy.

As for "Lady Luck", I like the idea, over the idea of Fate. I feel like you could say that your Luck determines your Fate. ;)

And even though it's been said, I would like to see an event without an icon again. I feel like the idea of Luck, Chance, Fate or whatever can easily be done without having a main character representing the idea. Granted marketing is a lot more powerful with a face to put to it, but isnt that an advertisers job? To find a new and interesting way to market a terrifying event without relying on the icon?

Why do people feel to defend the old? Is it a form of selfishness or is their some sort of fear of change involved? It's quite annoying. There's been a shift of management of the event so expect changes. The old is gone...but like zombies they might reanimate. But the corpses of the past are too fresh to be exhumed as zombies.

Also I apologize, I'm a bit snippy after my long day of work. I have a great appreciation for the carpenters and carvers hired by uni to give you all the framework of the event. Building a haunted house is a dirty and miserable job. *picks the foam out of his hair* But quit the bickering and circular arguments about past icons and characters coming back this year. I'd have to yell COP OUT, if they do bring back characters this year. I'm ready for a new empire a new decade of HHN.

This is complete speculation, but methinks the rumored "Thing Sequel" will be in Jaws. I was at the parks today, and happened to get a quick glance inside (one of the black tarps was peeled back where the exit gates are) and i saw what appeared to be some sort of fleshy thing sitting on a table(...?). There were also hanging lights that looked arctic-basey, and a couple of big water heater type tanks (might be a part of the jaws queue?) but then the more i think about it i feel like the atmosphere of jaws might make a good thing house...i dunno. The Roles posted on HHNrumors are vague enough to really be anything. And The pictures that cavalry posted there showed more tanks and some pipes and stuff that all just seemed very Thing to me.

In terms of icon talk, I dont feel that Chance would make a very strong lead icon, she doesnt really seem captivating or scary enough to me to represent the entire event. maybe a less juggalo, more scary offshoot would do it :D

Or an italian man who wields stale bread. He can sit on the roof of louies with a flamethrower and some baguettes and just wreak havoc.

This is complete speculation, but methinks the rumored "Thing Sequel" will be in Jaws. I was at the parks today, and happened to get a quick glance inside (one of the black tarps was peeled back where the exit gates are) and i saw what appeared to be some sort of fleshy thing sitting on a table(...?). There were also hanging lights that looked arctic-basey, and a couple of big water heater type tanks (might be a part of the jaws queue?) but then the more i think about it i feel like the atmosphere of jaws might make a good thing house...i dunno. The Roles posted on HHNrumors are vague enough to really be anything. And The pictures that cavalry posted there showed more tanks and some pipes and stuff that all just seemed very Thing to me.

In terms of icon talk, I dont feel that Chance would make a very strong lead icon, she doesnt really seem captivating or scary enough to me to represent the entire event. maybe a less juggalo, more scary offshoot would do it :D

Or an italian man who wields stale bread. He can sit on the roof of louies with a flamethrower and some baguettes and just wreak havoc.

It makes little to no sense to have the Thing prequel/sequel in JAWS. The prequel is set in Antarctica, and JAWS is notoriously the hottest house on property. If they're going to do the Thing, I see it being in a Soundstage for the climate control.

I know I've stated that Disaster is likely not a holiday house, but details are starting to suggest my assumption was wrong.

That stated, the facade (if it does tie logically into the progression of the house) can only, effectively, be surrounding the first holiday.

Edited by Legacy

Those wicker chairs look like the ones in the easter bunny photo ops.

First of all, I love the idea of a holiday haunted house, but how will it tie in to the overall theme? Not the icon or the concept of gambling, but the ideas of fate, chance, and death that seem to be the overarching themes of this year? I mean, the most I can think of is that the house represents holidays that come in different seasons (as in stages of life) and it would probably lead up to New Year's Eve in which the old year 'dies' and the new year begins, but that feels like a stretch. Is there any possibility that the event does not have an OVERALL theme?

Also, on the Chance conversation one page back I want to know why we all believe it has to be the same Chance? It just seems like since she was so minor, she is an easy character to change. The speculation about her having any ties to Jack past, present, or future just seem crazy to me. Personally I think they could just as simply make it a completely new character and keep the name intact. Heck they could even make it a guy for all I care (not likely given the cards on the table, but you know what I mean).

Edited by Cooger and Dark

Is there any possibility that the event does not have an OVERALL theme?

Yes, considering all a "Theme" does is help market the event.

Nothing we have seen implies that a "theme" will tie everything together this year.

I know I've stated that Disaster is likely not a holiday house, but details are starting to suggest my assumption was wrong.

That stated, the facade (if it does tie logically into the progression of the house) can only, effectively, be surrounding the first holiday.

Yes, considering all a "Theme" does is help market the event.

Nothing we have seen implies that a "theme" will tie everything together this year.

I am actually glad to hear that A&D may not be tied down by trying to make everything fit into some overall theme.

My question to you, Legacy, is what do you consider to be the first holiday? It could be either New Year's Day or Valentine's as far as I can tell (unless they decided to be controversial and do MLK day). If Valentine's I envision us entering a bloodstained Valentine's card which would be amazing. For New Year's day I have no idea.

I am actually glad to hear that A&D may not be tied down by trying to make everything fit into some overall theme.

My question to you, Legacy, is what do you consider to be the first holiday? It could be either New Year's Day or Valentine's as far as I can tell (unless they decided to be controversial and do MLK day). If Valentine's I envision us entering a bloodstained Valentine's card which would be amazing. For New Year's day I have no idea.

If I wanted to spell it out, I would have done so in the first place. The first holiday is the first holiday. The intent of my phrasing is so it can be deciphered, and when the facade is known it will be fairly obvious.

I have a feeling the time era is set in the '30s because of the music style and in 1931, gambling was finally legal in the state of Nevada, assuming the event takes places in a Vegas setting. With this in mind, could the event be revolved around "The Great Depression?" Just a thought. Besides, it was a time period of terror that caused major crimes throughout the US, so I think it's a possibility.

It makes little to no sense to have the Thing prequel/sequel in JAWS. The prequel is set in Antarctica, and JAWS is notoriously the hottest house on property. If they're going to do the Thing, I see it being in a Soundstage for the climate control.

Does anybody think this is REALLY a hindrance? PS Home for the Holidays (or whatever) wasn't exactly freezing cold and Hades wasn't a thousand degrees like it should be at the center of the earth.

While it being cold would be cool, I think it adds very little to the house itself. Would much rather they spend all that $$$$ on props and costumes for the house, and leave the temps as they are.

Does anybody think this is REALLY a hindrance? PS Home for the Holidays (or whatever) wasn't exactly freezing cold and Hades wasn't a thousand degrees like it should be at the center of the earth.

While it being cold would be cool, I think it adds very little to the house itself. Would much rather they spend all that $$$$ on props and costumes for the house, and leave the temps as they are.

No I personally would rather they do that house in one of the soundstages. It's colder already in there so there's no need to bring in extra equipment to make it cold.

I've come to agree that it does add very little. I don't need to be absolutely freezing cold in order to believe that we're supposed to be in Antarctica. I just need the right vibe. Hopefully they'll continue to be logical though. Like, it made sense to put Orfanage in the hottest maze location, much like it makes sense to place what's been rumored for that queue there this year, and I'm not talking about The Thing Prequel.

I'm not saying they need to turn the Soundstage into an Igloo, I'm just saying that having the Thing in JAWS - which a freakin' sauna - will suspend all belief I have of entering a lab in Antarctica. I surely hope I'm not the only one who would find it much more believable to be see ice/cold when I'm in air conditioning.

Edited by Lizz

I've come to agree that it does add very little. I don't need to be absolutely freezing cold in order to believe that we're supposed to be in Antarctica. I just need the right vibe. Hopefully they'll continue to be logical though. Like, it made sense to put Orfanage in the hottest maze location, much like it makes sense to place what's been rumored for that queue there this year, and I'm not talking about The Thing Prequel.

How can you possibly have the "right vibe" of being in Antarctica when you're sweating to death in the JAWS house? That's my point - if there is to be a house based in Antarctica, it needs to at least be in air conditioning. Not saying I need to have to wear a parka to enter - a little cold blast upon entering a Soundstage would do.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk with my comment...just saying that Jaws being hotter than other houses in Central Florida (I'm from NY...so it's hotter than hell down there regardless of the time of year) really is a negligible factor for me on if a Thing house can be there.

I don't remember the THING part of Silver Screams being cold and it didn't bother me. Don't remember Creatures being wet or Interstellar Terror feeling like I was really in space. I wish they could put you 100% in the moment, but I just want awesome houses and scares.

I disagree I'd actually go to the other extreme and like them to theme it more thoroughly. It's not that hard if they pick the right theme and subject. This year for instance they could come up with 8 different houses based on different aspects of luck and fate. This could be carried on through to the scarezones. Games of chance with a horror theme in the streets. Maybe random elements added to the houses so that the layout or scenes change every so often. When you consider the fuss they made over the appearance of Fear last year prior to the event and then did virtually nothing with him or the theme I think a more widespread theming would be better. It would certainly make you feel like you'd entered one specific place/event rather than 8 randomly assembled horrors. Don't get me wrong I've loved the last 3 HHN I've been to but I've sometimes left wishing there was more of a link. I guess Id prefer a novel rather than a book of short stories with each house representing a chapter of that story. What do you guys think? More or less theming this year?

There's a difference between an Arctic house having a freezing entrance and a kinda cool interior and an Arctic house causing the monsters to pass out from heat exhaustion.

Moreover, such a house would greatly benefit from having a large space that they can freely construct in; the Jaws queue provides much less freedom for building the environments like the rec room and underground ice tunnels that would be inevitably seen.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but checking back at Emeric Belasco's twitter his update "Pity is for the living, envy is for the dead." sort of gives me the idea that there may be something linked with torture. I don't mean Saw all over again, yet something to do with 'The House'. Not sure how it would work, but just a thought....

First Post! :rolleyes:

Personally, while I prefer when everything ties together....ex. Bloody Mary how all the houses, while seemingly random at first, eventually tied in beautifully to the wonderful plot. I dont MIND if they dont. Last year I still had just as much fun as I would have if all the houses had been directly linked to Fear. But the event just seems neater and much more thought out when everything strings along so nicely. That being said though, isn't it only the big fans who sit back and truly bask in a well themed year?