HHN XXI Construction

Excuse my ignorance guys, but when they start putting up the facade of the houses outside can we assume they are done with the inside of the house? It only makes sense that they would put up the facade after theyre done constructing the inside.

It's possible but it's still a little early yet. When building and consructing the house thay have an entire team doing so. So when some are working on the outside the rest are working on the inside.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the roofs - I understand the fire code concerns, but what I don't get is HHN has had roofs for... well, 19 years with no problems. HHN19 an 18 DEFINITELY had black tarp roofs which were extremely effective. Why this sudden requirement for no roofs?

Different building fire code inspector than previous years...no joke. If memory serves me correctly, they actually explained to the inspector how they had used the false ceilings before and that in wouldn't obstruct fire safety procedures, but the inspector wasn't seeing eye to eye with them, so they pulled them out to meet code. I can remember whether or not this was the case as well, but there may have been some recent changes to city fire codes as well. But I'm pretty sure it was just that particular inspector.

The internal house contruction is contracted out. But some or possibly all of the facades are done personally by the design team and department. It is possible that they build some facades earlier to help the scenic artist team get "in the mood" for the them of the house.

Regarding the roofs - I understand the fire code concerns, but what I don't get is HHN has had roofs for... well, 19 years with no problems. HHN19 an 18 DEFINITELY had black tarp roofs which were extremely effective. Why this sudden requirement for no roofs?

Different building fire code inspector than previous years...no joke. If memory serves me correctly, they actually explained to the inspector how they had used the false ceilings before and that in wouldn't obstruct fire safety procedures, but the inspector wasn't seeing eye to eye with them, so they pulled them out to meet code. I can remember whether or not this was the case as well, but there may have been some recent changes to city fire codes as well. But I'm pretty sure it was just that particular inspector.

Bulldawg pretty much hit the nail on the head. Also, in 2007 how the houses were coded changed; Because they were up for more than 30 days they become officially coded as permanent structures. That change greatly effected how the houses are built. From my understanding, all wires (sound and lighting) have to troughed or ran through conduit and a fire-suppressoin system has to be installed or accessible. Since installing and testing a fire-suppression in a house that will be only be up for 60 days would be pointless cost-wise, Universal just uses the systems within the buildings themselves.

Catacombs and Hades made it work by using "scenic elements" (ropes, 2x4's, and cloth) as faux-roofs in certain rooms that allowed for a roof-type effect while still keeping the actual top of the house open. That sort of work-around can't work with every house theme, though. Grating could be an suitable "roof" that would allow the fire-suppression system to work while still implying a ceiling, but guests would still be able to see through it. They might have been able to work something out with the Code-Enforcement Office, but until we start walking through the houses I anticipate no roofs again.

Catacombs and Hades made it work by using "scenic elements" (ropes, 2x4's, and cloth) as faux-roofs in certain rooms that allowed for a roof-type effect while still keeping the actual top of the house open. That sort of work-around can't work with every house theme, though. Grating could be an suitable "roof" that would allow the fire-suppression system to work while still implying a ceiling, but guests would still be able to see through it. They might have been able to work something out with the Code-Enforcement Office, but until we start walking through the houses I anticipate no roofs again.

That is what they used at our house as well, it's mostly themed as a hotel but the first floor was a sort of underground theme. They used mine shaft studs that weren't lit in the back to give the illusion that there maybe something there, but isn't. They used 2x4 braces where patches of roof or, the "floor above" has fallen away and decayed. As far as I know, as long as the fire sprinklers aren't blocked you're in good shape. Concerning the fire marshals and codes, sometimes you get the good marshals and other times you get the good but policy heavy and rigid marshals. Safety is a big deal, that doesn't excuse the fact that there are breaks in communication and knowledge between person to person. One marshal might not be aware of "X" Rule, while the other is aware of "XYZ".

Very interesting stuff on the fire code inspector, thanks for the info. I wonder if they'll attempt the roofs again, and just cross their fingers for a more lenient inspector? It really helps so much with the immersion and its lack of presence was felt last year, especially (IMO) in Hades, Hallow'd Past, Legendary Truth, and Psychoscareapy. I'd take some thick grating over nothing (if anything gives you more of a sense of claustrophobia) but the black tarp is really ideal.

Is that why there was no black tarp enclosing the facades this year, as well? I thought it was very odd that the Psychoscareapy facade was just sitting there with the entire building visible behind it, and we could clearly see the strobe lights that occur at the finale.

HORRORORLANDO Posted Yesterday, 09:37 AM

(black mask, on 21 June 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

yeah I agree, also with roofs I think the houses would be overall scarier, a lot of times I am taken back to reality because of the roofless houses like Legendary truth, seeing the sound stage roof , some houses would be really scary if you looked up and saw nothing, or a black roof, that would freak me out

That is another aspect I totally agree on. Looking up and seeing the tops of the tents, soundstages, parade buliding etc...really can give you that sense of feeling that ok you are just in a house that isn't real. With having the entire house covered in my opinion really makes the experience come to life. Your brain can't recongnize something if you don't see it therefore making the house feel more alive...

I thought that was the point; to be totally immersed....

Legacy Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

HORRORLANDO, on 19 June 2011 - 02:49 AM, said:

I agree to that to some extent but some rooms within a house need their own setup. You don't want to be walking through a particular part of a house and get distracted from the sounds and flashing lights coming from another part of the house. The anticipation of a scare coming from just around the corner is what makes a house so great. Sometimes it's good to be left in the dark... ;)

If the scareactors are doing their job, you won't be looking up.

Ah, but up-scares become more and more popular....2009 had a feral bride in Dracula:Legacy of Blood at bout 10 ft up and there was a clear view of the ceiling when she was there. It did detract for me, but I am only one.

Mae

Ah, but up-scares become more and more popular....2009 had a feral bride in Dracula:Legacy of Blood at bout 10 ft up and there was a clear view of the ceiling when she was there. It did detract for me, but I am only one.

Mae

There have been several houses with "up scares", and I would have to agree that seeing past the faux ceilings can definitely take you out of the mood. Dracula's bride and wolfman both crawled over the crowd on suspension. I will say, however, that there have been moments where I have enjoyed being able to see the ways they have made a scare or set the mood for certain rooms. But as a general note, I would much rather be "backstage" seeing this than in the middle of a scare.

Edited by JONNYFXM

(black mask, on 21 June 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

yeah I agree, also with roofs I think the houses would be overall scarier, a lot of times I am taken back to reality because of the roofless houses like Legendary truth, seeing the sound stage roof , some houses would be really scary if you looked up and saw nothing, or a black roof, that would freak me out

That is another aspect I totally agree on. Looking up and seeing the tops of the tents, soundstages, parade buliding etc...really can give you that sense of feeling that ok you are just in a house that isn't real. With having the entire house covered in my opinion really makes the experience come to life. Your brain can't recongnize something if you don't see it therefore making the house feel more alive...

I thought that was the point; to be totally immersed....

Legacy Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

HORRORLANDO, on 19 June 2011 - 02:49 AM, said:

I agree to that to some extent but some rooms within a house need their own setup. You don't want to be walking through a particular part of a house and get distracted from the sounds and flashing lights coming from another part of the house. The anticipation of a scare coming from just around the corner is what makes a house so great. Sometimes it's good to be left in the dark... ;)

If the scareactors are doing their job, you won't be looking up.

Mae

There have been several houses with "up scares", and I would have to agree that seeing past the faux ceilings can definitely take you out of the mood. Dracula's bride and wolfman both crawled over the crowd on suspension. I will say, however, that there have been moments where I have enjoyed being able to see the ways they have made a scare or set the mood for certain rooms. But as a general note, I would much rather be "backstage" seeing this than in the middle of a scare.

Well see if a house has an Up Scare, then Yeah no roof is fine, because there is something for you to look at, BUT those kinds of scares do not happen often, besides dracula and wolfman, I dont remember any others, (Jason had one but that was different)

at the same time, Seeing the empty space and the roofless is worst when They SHOULD have had an up scare, it still baffles me to this day that Legendary Truth did not have an actor hanging, if any house needed that type of scare it was Legendary truth, and they didn't ( maybe they had a reason) but I just feel that a roof is really needed for all houses, I really wish they found a material a cloth or something that wont be a problem with fire codes,

Well see if a house has an Up Scare, then Yeah no roof is fine, because there is something for you to look at, BUT those kinds of scares do not happen often, besides dracula and wolfman, I dont remember any others, (Jason had one but that was different)

at the same time, Seeing the empty space and the roofless is worst when They SHOULD have had an up scare, it still baffles me to this day that Legendary Truth did not have an actor hanging, if any house needed that type of scare it was Legendary truth, and they didn't ( maybe they had a reason) but I just feel that a roof is really needed for all houses, I really wish they found a material a cloth or something that wont be a problem with fire codes,

I am completely behind the faux-ceiling for houses, in every opportunity possible. The Freddy house in 2007 is my favorite example of that. It was just cheesecloth with holes in it, fire-retardant treated, and certainly nothing to keep any light, sound, water, etc out of the room but it still offered the illusion of a ceiling. It made huge difference to me. It was sorely lacking in the LT house, to be sure.

Mae

I had these pictures since last Friday but I have been too lazy to get them onto my computer from my phone. These were taken from the Disaster queue and I didn't go into any off limit areas. You could hear them constructing before it started to rain.

270422_229069903781294_100000348576365_787789_6071082_n.jpg

264892_229070930447858_100000348576365_787810_6723639_n.jpg

Second one is shitty, but ehhhh :D

Edited by DROOG

I dont remember any others, (Jason had one but that was different)

I really wish they found a material a cloth or something that wont be a problem with fire codes,

Dead Exposure - Under/Over scare

As for the fire codes.

At least 5 permits have been pulled that address last year's problems with the inspector and implies the possibility of ceilings.

I do not have access to the permit site right now so I am unable to supply you with the permit numbers.

it still baffles me to this day that Legendary Truth did not have an actor hanging, if any house needed that type of scare it was Legendary truth, and they didn't ( maybe they had a reason)

I watched a video of the UTH tour through Legendary Truth, and I remember them mentioning that there was a certain part of LT that had nothing going on, but they originally had planned to have a ghost swoop down on you from above. I don't remember why they didn't go through with it though.

As for the fire codes.

At least 5 permits have been pulled that address last year's problems with the inspector and implies the possibility of ceilings.

I do not have access to the permit site right now so I am unable to supply you with the permit numbers.

This is very interesting. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had complaints about the lack of ceilings.

As for the fire codes.

FIR2011-00615 - Sprung 1: Add (2) sprinklers under temporary obstruction (room ceiling) over 48" wide

FIR2011-00616 - Sprung 1: Add [8] sprinklers under temporary obstruction (room ceiling) over 48" wide

FIR2011-00631 for SS23B: - Add (5) sprinklers under temporary obstruction (room ceiling) over 48" wide.

FIR2011-00632 for SS22: - Add (3) sprinklers under temporary obstruction (room ceiling) over 48" wide.

FIR2011-00633 for SS23A: - Add (2) sprinklers under temporary obstruction (room ceiling) over 48" wide.

I saw that Phreeq had posted those permits on Rumors, and it looks like Sprung 1 will either A) have a full roof or B) have a heck of lot Up-scare. That second permit for 8 sprinklers is kinda shocking... because that's a big obstruction. I think the spacing for sprinkler heads is 12 foot in Orlando coding, which means that obstruction is nearly fifty foot square (or eighty feet long). That's massive. It does look like the Sprungs might be getting Soundstage quality builds again though.

I watched a video of the UTH tour through Legendary Truth, and I remember them mentioning that there was a certain part of LT that had nothing going on, but they originally had planned to have a ghost swoop down on you from above. I don't remember why they didn't go through with it though.

This is very interesting. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had complaints about the lack of ceilings.

It was a figure on a pendulum of sorts that had a face on both sides. They originally planned to have it on a catch and release style system. The figure would be attached to a bar on the catwalk above and at a certain time would be released and would come flying down at the people in the house and then swing back up out of sight. The problem was they could never get the figure to swing back up high enough for the mechanism to re-catch it so it was removed but they left the sound effect and light que on because it still freaked people out.

Thanks for posting those JW.

I have had to rely on my phone to post recently, and couldn't find my post on Rumors. And I couldn't pull up the permit site from my phone so...

Thanks again.

Sure thing. thanks for finding them. I hate the way that site is laid out. It is an exercise in frustration.

Edited by JWFearman

It was a figure on a pendulum of sorts that had a face on both sides. They originally planned to have it on a catch and release style system. The figure would be attached to a bar on the catwalk above and at a certain time would be released and would come flying down at the people in the house and then swing back up out of sight. The problem was they could never get the figure to swing back up high enough for the mechanism to re-catch it so it was removed but they left the sound effect and light que on because it still freaked people out.

That is also why the floor in that hallway sloped down so drastically. This would have been a killer scare if it had, in fact, worked out.

That is also why the floor in that hallway sloped down so drastically. This would have been a killer scare if it had, in fact, worked out.

That's interesting. I always thought the only purpose was to get you back down on the floor of the soundstage, since the first part of the house was elevated to make room for the "under the floor" scare.

but that just makes me wonder, why didn't they just put someone there hanging, I dont mean an actor, just a body handing, a dead person, I mean Of course that was not the intended effect but, they could have put something, no? Im i thinking too much? would that have been impossible? kinda like the body in the catacombs, I don't know, that would have freak me out too,

(same with Hades, maybe they had an idea for the throne and things didn't work out but, Why wouldnt they just put an actor in make up and robes to sit there, to me that seems so illogical, an actor acting as Hades, (maybe someone with a beard) and pointing at you or something, seems like something that could have been simple to do... <_< I don't know the whole story, maybe there was a problem? but someone sitting, I dont know...)

Edited by black mask