Park Memorabilia - 2000

What happened to the last two that shows the map?

Nevermind. They showed up. :) YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY THIS MAKES ME. :D

Also, I never knew Clive Barker's Harvest took place in the Castle theater...interesting.

And what happened to House of 1000 Corpses? Did that get changed at the last minute or something?

Frakazoid, you asked to see the shirt for this year's event. It's buried in a box of 200 other haunt shirts, but take a look at the insert card I posted (it's the very first picture). See the big 3 icons in color? Change it to grayscare, get rid of the dates, and leave the "Halloween Horror Nights" in yellow. That's the shirt.

• 2 months later...

^Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures/video to show you since there aren't really any out there; however, I do have a DVD that shows a walk-thru video of *most* of the mazes from 1999-2000. I can describe to you roughly what the Undertaker and the Buffy mazes were like.

First off, the two mazes took place in a sound stage building on the lower lot. It was the one used directly behind the Mummy ride and to the immediate guest's right side of the Backdraft/SES building (Now Transformers).

As soon as the guest would enter the door leading into the sound stage, he would be immediately greeted by a descent-sized castle-like facade. Interestingly enough, the name of maze was actually on the facade. Something Orlando or Orlando never do anymore as it would ruin the realism factor of walking in to the environment. First, you would walk through Buffy's apartment, followed by a walk through central park (Really cool to see them pull it off in the maze.), a subway full of victims and vampires, and finally, the underground tunnels. There was one scene in there that had a "puppet scare" that was a large snake-like creature that reminded me of the cobra from the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. As a matter of fact, quite a bit of mazes back in the late 90's/2000 utilized puppetry and hopefully so will the Thing maze that we're getting this year. Besides that, they used the bungee scare quite a few times. One involved a scene with a vampire "swoop down" and grab a dead body. It was quite an impressive effect to see. I haven't been to any of the events back then since I was just too young, but according to Zombieman, it was one of the best mazes ever done at HHN Hollywood.

Despite the greatness that was Buffy and Angel's Hellmouth Haunt, there was one maze that was hailed as one of the worst mazes in HHN history (Both in Hollywood AND Orlando) and that was "The Undertaker: No Mercy". Like Buffy, as soon as a guest would walk through a door, he would be immediately greeted by a descent-sized facade. Only this time, the facade resembled that of a large machine. The whole plot of the maze revolved around the life of the Undertaker. As soon the guest would walk through the facade, he would walk through the funeral home where the Undertaker was born and then through some boiler room where they had these unique bungee scares. Instead of jumping off of a platform to do the scaring, the actor would drop through the ceiling above you! Though it was a clever scare tactic, that was the only thing worth seeing in there. After that, you would walk through the wrestling area where the guest would be greeted by other wrestlers that were in a chain-link fence above the guest and pounded the fence with a chair to attempt to scare the him. After that, there was a scene in the Undertaker's lair that showed Christian and Kane impaled by Undertaker signs as you exited the maze.

Another thing to add: John Murdy had no part of the event whatsoever back then. Ghost Ride productions did all of the mazes back then. Hopefully that satisfy for curiosity for the mazes a least somewhat.

Can't help but notice that Bill and Ted was in the Waterworld arena... I wish they would do that now. At least once because it seems like it would be epic.

But yeah, apparently things are too busy in those soundstages today for a maze to be in there *eye roll*

• 1 month later...

The thing I find the most amusing, and a little interesting, is the usage of a video game property as the event's sole scare zone... that's just saying something, and it makes me happy.

How was that SZ, by the way?

Edited by Onca

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...