Scary Puppets in Haunted Houses @ HHN

What I want to see at a Haunted House at Halloween Horror Nights this year is Scary (muppet styled :lol:) hand puppets. while you were walking in any haunted house in HHN,

a goulish person with a scary hand puppet pops out of the wall, and scares the living hell out of you.

show94.jpg

Matt Ficner "Puppeter" (right)

Edited by diefordethklok

It would certainly allow for scares to pop out of unusual places, like picture frames, mini-doors, air vents, etc. Just looking for an alcove or door would no longer help you dodge the scare. You'd just need to be careful about drunks vandalizing the prop, because now you might very well have a hand in there for them to grab!

It would certainly allow for scares to pop out of unusual places, like picture frames, mini-doors, air vents, etc. Just looking for an alcove or door would no longer help you dodge the scare. You'd just need to be careful about drunks vandalizing the prop, because now you might very well have a hand in there for them to grab!

Very true! I, for one, wouldn't be volunteering to be one of the people behind the puppet!

• 2 weeks later...

Remember the Chucky heads in Friends Til' the End?

I would like to more puppets used (where appropriate of course). Don't put them in a house just for the sake of using them and being scary, though.

The bad thing is, the actors that operate the puppets woudn't (I suppose) have much fun. The fact that they wouldn't be able to get in the role a whole lot, or use a lot of physical motions wouldn't make me want to do it.

Edited by The Director of Horror

correct me if I am wrong, it might be a rumor, or false information but, I heard that someone using the Dog puppet in the thing house in 07, I heard that a drunk person started to pull on the puppet and they broke the actor's arm, I don't know if I heard this in the Vault, I really don't remember, But I remember hearing that was the reason they took those off afterward

Speaking as a former Thing: Assimilation cast member, yes, we had issues with drunks messing with the actors operating the monsters. There was a night where the dog puppet actor did get a pretty serious arm injury (some idiot slammed both fists RIGHT DOWN on the puppet), but he luckily didn't have anything broken.

One effect didn't even make it past employee preview night. In the hallway before the rec room, one of the windows on the right had a Thing face that would pop out. It ended up getting torn down by someone, and I don't think it got replaced.

When I was a fence inmate in PS:HFTH, we were told only to put our faces up to the fence and not reach our hands into the guest's path. I didn't even consider it because I could just imagine my arm getting grabbed and then me being pulled into the fence.

That wasn't a puppet, but an example of what could have been done if there was a puppet on the end of my arm.

• 1 month later...

They use to be more common. The original Screamhouse had a puppeteer, (moving random body parts in the fridge), and Jungle of Doom had a butt-kicking gremlin that flew at you from out of a cave. The girl in my cast who did the puppets in Screamhouse wasn't a huge fan of the role. She liked that it was easy, but couldn't even see any of the scares she got.

Personally, I think puppets are a hair too impersonal. They're great for startle scares, but unless it's an imposing beast of a puppet (like Cerebus SHOULD have been), or a distraction, I think guys in garb is the more effective (and most importantly, safer) way to go.

Going off of what Legacy said, actual scareactors have the advantage of flexibility. A scareactor can go high, low, or right at eye level for a scare. They can find new ways to come out of a boohole or be given two or three holes they can jump out of to ensure unpredictability. They can follow a guest out of a boohole or give a very personalized scare against someone they know.

What does a puppet do? Comes out of the same hole the same way each time.

• 3 months later...

It shouldn't be hard to automate them, though. I mean, not full on animatronic, but just something that would shoot them out of a wall or something, and then retract them. Or, better yet, give the puppeteer several different booholes to choose from in a particular area/hallway or something, and give them one that they can control with a rope that would drop from the ceiling or something. I can imagine now walking into a hallway and hearing some small demonic creature scurrying around, making some nasty breathing noises, and then hearing it follow me through the hallway from behind the wall or above me, and then it jumps out from a random hole.

I think it'd be epic, and wouldn't be very hard at all to pull off. Except maybe the one that'd be coming from the ceiling, but that wouldn't even be necessary to make it a great scare. Best part would be that if you go through the house multiple times, you'll never know where it'll pop out from to "get" you.

They use to be more common. The original Screamhouse had a puppeteer, (moving random body parts in the fridge), and Jungle of Doom had a butt-kicking gremlin that flew at you from out of a cave.

I vaguely remember a puppet in the Scary Tales house in 2001. It was a very small thing resembling a clown, placed on a bookshelf up high, and it would lean down and move its arms in a punching motion. I believe it was right inside the entrance and was one of the very first few scares.

Well if you want puppets well Chucky is perfect....Chucky's Insult Emporium which is native to the HHN in hollywood...this is something i would love to see this brought to Orlando...heres a vid if you havent seen it.....

Well if you want puppets well Chucky is perfect....Chucky's Insult Emporium which is native to the HHN in hollywood...this is something i would love to see this brought to Orlando...heres a vid if you havent seen it.....

We had it in the nineties. We've moved past it.

And this thread is specifically about using puppets as a scare in houses.

• 2 weeks later...