Bart Simpson's Tree House of Horror: the ride (The Simpsons Ride)

Once every year, The Simpsons Ride transforms into a Halloween styled ride, inspired by The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror specials, past & present...

Plot: The Simpsons return to Krustyland for a Halloween event. Bart, Lisa, and Milhouse discovered an abandon Haunted House ride that has been broken down since last year, or two, after the grand opening of Krustyland. Meanwhile Kang and Kodos used their laser beam to bring the old haunted house ride, in Krustyland to life. You travel along with Bart, Lisa, and of course... Milhouse as they journey their way out of the house where everything comes to life, featuring Characters, Scenes, and environments from past Treehouse of Horror specials of The Simpsons, Including "The Devil and Homer Simpson" (Hell), "Bart Simpson's Dracula"(Mr. Burn's Castle), "The Shinning"(The Mansion), "Nightmare Cafeteria"(Cafe), "Homer³"(3D realm), and more.

What do you think?...

On second thought I doubt it would happen since it would take an entire reprogramming of the hydraulics of the ride (if the ride is the same as Universal), sound, video editing, wind/water spraying effects, etc... I would guess it would be far too time consuming and expensive to do. Neat idea though.

I thought about this idea last year when I was in HHN, I went to the Simpsons ride and I thought, It would be very amazing if they changed this ride into a halloween themed ride

but then I thought, that would probably cost a bunch of money and Uni would probably won't spend a nickel or a ride that people go to either way,

the reason I love this idea is because I like the Simpsons ride when it came out, but now I don't like it anymore, I mean, is cool but, I thought the back to the future ride was better,

the cartoonish world of the simpsons makes me a little dizzy, Is cool but, is not my favorite, I don't really ride it anymore,

if they changed it to halloween, not only would it be amazing but they could market it and have it be halloween ride during the day, and people would come, plus on HHN that could make the lines shorter, be like a haunted house on itself kind of, I know people would come just to see it, I mean, look at disaster, there is nothing new about it besides the movie plot idea and the cameras, yet people still come because the name is new,

I really would love this idea, I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the potential, but like I said, I doubt they would spend money for it just for one month,

It would get people, but like stuntman said it's a huge headache. Along with retheming everything and producing a new movie, you'd need to reprogram the entire ride for a short time. Programming a ride isn't a short or easy process, so generally it's only done for something that's used for a long stretch of time, like changing an aspect of the ride to work better. Making them reprogram and change the theming and decorations for such a short time is a much bigger headache than just hanging props on a street.

So, in a way this idea is similar to Disneyland's annual rebranding of the Haunted Mansion into Haunted Mansion Holiday. It's not only a huge hit with returning Guests, but people will actually plan trips during this time of year so that they can catch the new version of the ride.

That being said, there were rumors a few years ago that they would be applying this seasonal overlay to the HM at WDW. From what I've heard, it was eventually nixed because of the demographic difference between Guests in California and Guests in Orlando. You see, a large number of California theme park Guests are Annual Passholders and other locals. Orlando, on the other hand, gets a large number of international Guests. The difference is this: locals will come back to see something "tweaked" or "plussed" or otherwise differentiated from the norm. International visitors are seeing something for the first (and sometimes only) time. They don't appreciate limited-time things, as they don't have the luxury of returning frequently.

Here's my question: Is a limited-time holiday-themed overlay worth the potential risk of misrepresenting your attractions and/or alienating first-time visitors? Does it behoove Universal to spend the money and effort to create an attraction overlay that will be used for one month out of the year? And, in that month-long span, it's probably only going to be operational during the limited hours of HHN, as both Universal and IOA operate normally during daytime hours.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of holiday overlays, but it just doesn't seem to be in Universal's best interests to create them.

So, in a way this idea is similar to Disneyland's annual rebranding of the Haunted Mansion into Haunted Mansion Holiday. It's not only a huge hit with returning Guests, but people will actually plan trips during this time of year so that they can catch the new version of the ride.

That being said, there were rumors a few years ago that they would be applying this seasonal overlay to the HM at WDW. From what I've heard, it was eventually nixed because of the demographic difference between Guests in California and Guests in Orlando. You see, a large number of California theme park Guests are Annual Passholders and other locals. Orlando, on the other hand, gets a large number of international Guests. The difference is this: locals will come back to see something "tweaked" or "plussed" or otherwise differentiated from the norm. International visitors are seeing something for the first (and sometimes only) time. They don't appreciate limited-time things, as they don't have the luxury of returning frequently.

Here's my question: Is a limited-time holiday-themed overlay worth the potential risk of misrepresenting your attractions and/or alienating first-time visitors? Does it behoove Universal to spend the money and effort to create an attraction overlay that will be used for one month out of the year? And, in that month-long span, it's probably only going to be operational during the limited hours of HHN, as both Universal and IOA operate normally during daytime hours.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of holiday overlays, but it just doesn't seem to be in Universal's best interests to create them.

I know what your going, and maybe yes. Similar to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Holiday "featuring the characters from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas."

Anyway, I wish they should temporary shut-down the ride for decorating up the place, During the Decorating of Universal's Halloween Horror Nights both at Orlando, Florida and Hollywood, California.

Decorating the Haunted Mansion is not even comparable to making an entire new movie and completely reprogramming the synchronization of the hydraulics, wind and water simulations to the movie for the Simpsons Ride. The Haunted Mansion dosn't take a whole lot more work than decorating the rest of the park while having a new Halloween-themed Simpsons ride would probably take far more time and money than it would generate. It's not an easy overlay but a complete reworking of the ride. Maybe in the future to keep the ride fresh with the same investment/overhead/equipment they will do something like this, but I doubt they would do this for a limited season.

As far as will it deter international or non-local visitors? I doubt it would any more than the Halloween theme of the park in general. If anything it might attract more people. Heck, i'm flying down to Orlando just to see their HHN.

Decorating the Haunted Mansion is not even comparable to making an entire new movie and completely reprogramming the synchronization of the hydraulics, wind and water simulations to the movie for the Simpsons Ride. The Haunted Mansion dosn't take a whole lot more work than decorating the rest of the park while having a new Halloween-themed Simpsons ride would probably take far more time and money than it would generate. It's not an easy overlay but a complete reworking of the ride. Maybe in the future to keep the ride fresh with the same investment/overhead/equipment they will do something like this, but I doubt they would do this for a limited season.

As far as will it deter international or non-local visitors? I doubt it would any more than the Halloween theme of the park in general. If anything it might attract more people. Heck, i'm flying down to Orlando just to see their HHN.

yeah I can see how it could be a pain to change the ride,

I had the idea but I never said anything, I just think is cool someone else thinks the ride made into halloween is a good idea,

I don't really understand your point. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Decorating the Haunted Mansion is not even comparable to making an entire new movie and completely reprogramming the synchronization of the hydraulics, wind and water simulations to the movie for the Simpsons Ride. The Haunted Mansion dosn't take a whole lot more work than decorating the rest of the park while having a new Halloween-themed Simpsons ride would probably take far more time and money than it would generate. It's not an easy overlay but a complete reworking of the ride.

Have you ever seen what's involved with Haunted Mansion Holiday? It is by no means an "easy" overlay, as it involves extensive redecoration, including the installation of additional audio animatronic figures. The entire experience of the attraction changes, including different lighting, narration and music. A new Simpsons attraction, on the other hand, would require a new ride film (time consuming, but easily done) and new choreography for the vehicles. It's not quite as difficult as you make it out to be. This isn't "The Amazing Spider-Man," after all. You're not changing a ride path or altering anything physically.

But I digress, my intention was not to assign a range of difficulty to holiday overlays in general, it was simply to give an example that this sort of thing is occasionally done.

Maybe in the future to keep the ride fresh with the same investment/overhead/equipment they will do something like this, but I doubt they would do this for a limited season.

You've just reiterated the point I was making. Any holiday overlay requires an investment in time and money. The question is, is the payoff worth it? HHN is already a huge-selling event. Would a re-themed Simpsons ride bring any more Guests to the turnstiles?

As far as will it deter international or non-local visitors? I doubt it would any more than the Halloween theme of the park in general. If anything it might attract more people. Heck, i'm flying down to Orlando just to see their HHN..

I think we're getting our signals crossed here. My point was this: Some people have no interest in Halloween (it's not a popular holiday worldwide, FYI) and simply want to experience the park in a "normal" fashion. HHN is an after-hours, specially-ticketed event. You can choose whether or not you want to experience it. For this reason, a Simpsons overlay would only be utilized during the limited hours of the HHN event. Getting back to my earlier point: is the investment of time and money worth the payoff of a slightly different ride experience that you can only utilize for a few hours per night, a handful of nights per week?

I don't really understand your point. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Have you ever seen what's involved with Haunted Mansion Holiday? It is by no means an "easy" overlay, as it involves extensive redecoration, including the installation of additional audio animatronic figures. The entire experience of the attraction changes, including different lighting, narration and music. A new Simpsons attraction, on the other hand, would require a new ride film (time consuming, but easily done) and new choreography for the vehicles. It's not quite as difficult as you make it out to be. This isn't "The Amazing Spider-Man," after all. You're not changing a ride path or altering anything physically.

But I digress, my intention was not to assign a range of difficulty to holiday overlays in general, it was simply to give an example that this sort of thing is occasionally done.

You've just reiterated the point I was making. Any holiday overlay requires an investment in time and money. The question is, is the payoff worth it? HHN is already a huge-selling event. Would a re-themed Simpsons ride bring any more Guests to the turnstiles?

I think we're getting our signals crossed here. My point was this: Some people have no interest in Halloween (it's not a popular holiday worldwide, FYI) and simply want to experience the park in a "normal" fashion. HHN is an after-hours, specially-ticketed event. You can choose whether or not you want to experience it. For this reason, a Simpsons overlay would only be utilized during the limited hours of the HHN event. Getting back to my earlier point: is the investment of time and money worth the payoff of a slightly different ride experience that you can only utilize for a few hours per night, a handful of nights per week?

Yes i've been to the Haunted Mansion Holiday, I use to live 30 minutes from Disneyland. It's still re-decorating and using stationary animatronics. Not too different to stick an animatronic zombie and throw additional dead body parts around the Jurrasic Park ride, as well as local speakers playing additional scream effects/music (which might be a cool idea to make Jurrasic Park have a Halloween theme to it).

The whole Simpsons ride IS the movie and the synchronization of the ride - both of which are highly involved and time consuming processes that you don't give enough credit to. Its like reprogramming Star Tours at Disneyland or Back to the Future. If it was so easy and worth the investment, I think they would have been done to said rides to keep the rides fresh rather than bore the audience with 10-15 year old entertainment. Due to the time and cost of doing this, I doubt they will anytime soon or just for HHN. I'd guess they would in the next 5-10 years once the popularity of the ride dies down. It seems that people like the Simpsons ride but get over its dizzying effects after a handful of times on the ride.

Don't get me wrong, I would be stoaked to see this happen and the Treehouse of Horror episodes are some of my favorite. But from seeing rides like this programmed in the past, I'm just not convinced it will be worth the investment... yet.

it's probably isn't worth it, I mean you are probably right The Ghastly Green Ghost, It will never change and the problem is that if they do, it might backfire

but at the same time, I won't ride it again, I liked the back to the future ride better, the cartoonish look of the simpsons makes me dizzy, I just don't like it that much, the back to the future ride never made me dizzy like this one

Edited by black7mask

I don't know much about the technical aspects of reprogramming a ride but couldn't they do a new movie and soundtrack to the existing movements of the ride? I know that would cost a good bit of money but may be worth it to run it for the length of HHN. I think it may bring in more people to the park to see the special month only version of the ride every year. I'm not sure if it would be worth it but I would like to see it happen.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of reprogramming a ride but couldn't they do a new movie and soundtrack to the existing movements of the ride? I know that would cost a good bit of money but may be worth it to run it for the length of HHN. I think it may bring in more people to the park to see the special month only version of the ride every year. I'm not sure if it would be worth it but I would like to see it happen.

They could, but there's no guarantee that it would be GOOD; they could easily end up trying to shoehorn sections of the film in to fit effects and movements in when the natural progression of the film makes it an awkward transition. A re-themed movie would be at its best only if they made the movie BEFORE looking at the physical ride elements and changed it to fit what isn't possible, and that's the more expensive route.

Ok, for some of you think is good or bad idea for a Halloween themed Simpsons Ride. Thats fine by me. But anyway, you people prefer the Back to the Future ride. Well, I do too want to ride in the Back to the Future ride. But I haven't been on there. But have it on the extras menu on the Back to the Future trilogy on Blu-Ray. So I think the reason they took down the BTTF ride is because, do people know they realize the year 2015 both in Prt. II of BTTF and the scene in the Ride? Because, 2015 is Four years from now. It's 2011. So, I think they should bring it back to Universal, and put it in 3D, and edit the 2015 scene and replace it with either a different scene, like 1985. Or maybe we skip the 2015 future scene and cut to the Ice Age scene.

I thought about this too

I don't know but maybe they could make a new video but keep the ride, the same movements of the ride, like AaronPaHHNFan said, I could see that working,

True, but i'd hate to write the script for the movie to match the programming rather than program the ride to the movie. Sounds like it would be harder that way. Plus I'm not sure the investment it would take to make the movie alone.

...I still wish they would do it though.

Edited by stuntman

• 5 months later...