HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one story with much untapped potential is the continuing mystery of Carey, Ohio.

As far as HHN canon that has developed in the last ten years, Carey is the only thing I would hope continues. That's only because it's a thread that ties everything in the past together and there is no conceivable reason (short of Carey being destroyed) for that to be eliminated. It's deeper than the franchise house and characters. It's the enigma of the event that just seems to keep on driving the nightmares.

And Fearman, you hit the nail on the head.

I would love to see another Ghost town... as of course stupid hurricanes had me miss that year. Cool idea to mix with the LT.

As for queue videos, I have always loved the videos... or at least something to entertain whuile you wait in the heat for 10 min to 1 hr+

I'd be happy if we got something similar again, too. I thought Ghost Town was spectacular. The details were stunning and there were so many places to hide a scare in each scene, just the suspense of where they would be was enough to throw you. It had a very authentic feel to it, as if they worked with the scareactors to become 'actors'; they had appropriate accents, lines and 'screams' consistent with the story/theme of the house, and a certain carriage to them that made it feel very real.

Line entertainment and comfort is something all parks should be working on constantly!

Mae

I know it's all about money... But I don't get why Creative doesn't get...well more creative. Do the in queue videos really have to match the houses if it costs too much to produce? What about just addressing the theme? How about having a contest and let fans create their own videos that we can watch while we wait... Once the theme gets out, let the future autuers get crackin'. Get the creators to sign a release (which of course they will) and maybe have a place to vote for a favorite which can be announced Halloween night.

Just a random idea...

What was the Ghost Town finale like? I'm curious?

A collapsing gold-mine. You entered a mine shaft with trapped miners reaching at you from behind support beams, when a loud rumbling would start and then multiple air cannons (like twenty/thirty on each side of you) started going off to simulate falling rocks. People would sprint out of that thing (myself included).

They made it even better, because you would exit the mine on the backside of the "town church," but still inside the soundstage. It was an open area still inside the soundstage that "felt" like you were backstage and the house was over. There were actually three more townspeople who would hide in the fog and chase you out of the building.

It was an inspired house.

A collapsing gold-mine. You entered a mine shaft with trapped miners reaching at you from behind support beams, when a loud rumbling would start and then multiple air cannons (like twenty/thirty on each side of you) started going off to simulate falling rocks. People would sprint out of that thing (myself included).

They made it even better, because you would exit the mine on the backside of the "town church," but still inside the soundstage. It was an open area still inside the soundstage that "felt" like you were backstage and the house was over. There were actually three more townspeople who would hide in the fog and chase you out of the building.

It was an inspired house.

well that sounds pretty amazing, I know people already talked about not bringing back the ghost town house and that we should get original material but,

I would Loved to see this in a future year , sounds pretty cool,

specially when almost none of the houses in the past recent years had anything close to this

Edited by black mask

well that sounds pretty amazing, I know people already talked about not bringing back the ghost town house and that we should get original material but,

I would Loved to see this in a future year , sounds pretty cool,

specially when almost none of the houses in the past recent years had anything close to this

I loved Ghost Town especially that awful smell in the stable!

Like I said; Ghost Town was inspired. The reason it never came back though (like I stated rather verbosely before) was that the story was over. It was only about a cursed gold and the town destroying itself in the pursuit of it. That was it. It was a masterpiece of A&D's capabilities in layout, cohesiveness, directing, and ambiance (and the disappearing facade was an effect rarely eclipsed outside the Silver Screams Hollywood Theater), but only had the simplest of stories to carry it. It was the house that, frankly, the Wyandot Estate should have been (I think the people who experienced Ghost Town would understand and agree where I'm coming from with that statement).

I would love to see A&D study what made that house work so well (telling the story, characterization, ghostly effects) and start trying to recreate that feel in the new era. It still bugs me that it didn't get house of the year. Castle Vampyre sucked (pun not intended) in comparison.

I want them to experiment with the Legendary Truth theme. They can go anywhere with it. I like the ghosts idea, I think it's really cool. Wyandote Estate wasn't the best and clearly could have been better. I never got to experience Ghost Town, but I've seen pictures, and I'd love for them to do something like that or study it to do something better than it, as Legacy said.

Edited by Goo

Like I said; Ghost Town was inspired. The reason it never came back though (like I stated rather verbosely before) was that the story was over. It was only about a cursed gold and the town destroying itself in the pursuit of it. That was it. It was a masterpiece of A&D's capabilities in layout, cohesiveness, directing, and ambiance (and the disappearing facade was an effect rarely eclipsed outside the Silver Screams Hollywood Theater), but only had the simplest of stories to carry it. It was the house that, frankly, the Wyandot Estate should have been (I think the people who experienced Ghost Town would understand and agree where I'm coming from with that statement).

I would love to see A&D study what made that house work so well (telling the story, characterization, ghostly effects) and start trying to recreate that feel in the new era. It still bugs me that it didn't get house of the year. Castle Vampyre sucked (pun not intended) in comparison.

They could use the same general Western theme, but not the same storyline and with a completely new storyline. Add that with cowboy ghosts, new scene layouts, undead horses, Legendary Truth, yadda, yadda, and there you have a completely new house.

I really get you, I really do, I get why you would hate the ghost town back and you want original houses, I really do,

and I don't want to say this because I get upset when I hear this... but, The general public could care less about story, and I frankly think even if guests came that year, is been a while, I could see people having a mild recollection or not remembering at all,

I know that, my first year 06, I only remember half the houses i did, I barely remember PS, barely remember Psycho, dont remember the story teller's house, so, If they decided to bring one of the houses in 06, I wouldn't be too mad,

I know, I know everyone would be kinda mad about it, but, 70-80 percent of the people going to HHN, they don't even know the backstories of the icons, or the houses, people last year were calling Eddie Jason Voorhees and calling Cindy the girl from the Orfanage....

I know we are getting original houses, but if they decided to bring the ghost house back, I don't think too many people would complain

but, I really understand your points about the story

Edited by black mask

They could use the same general Western theme, but not the same storyline and with a completely new storyline. Add that with cowboy ghosts, new scene layouts, undead horses, Legendary Truth, yadda, yadda, and there you have a completely new house.

Exactly, Just change the story of the house and change the name from Lightning Gulch to something totally different and there you have it...Ghost Town II... :D

Exactly, Just change the story of the house and change the name from Lightning Gulch to something totally different and there you have it...Ghost Town II... :D

*HeadDesk*

That's exactly what I don't want. And simply adding Legendary Truth to an old ghost house does not a new house make. If they are going to revisit a western town, at least give it different characters (since it was mentioned, I'm partial to a vampire versus lycan western town).

I agree, I think that could be cool. Even if it's just a haunted house that was built over an Indian burial ground.

To play devil's advocate: What's the difference between a haunted house built over an Indian burial ground and a haunted house that suffered a massacre? Wouldn't that just be the "Wyandot Estate: Oklahoma Edition?"

I really get you, I really do, I get why you would hate the ghost town back and you want original houses, I really do,

and I don't want to say this because I get upset when I hear this... but, The general public could care less about story, and I frankly think even if guests came that year, is been a while, I could see people having a mild recollection or not remembering at all,

I know that, my first year 06, I only remember half the houses i did, I barely remember PS, barely remember Psycho, dont remember the story teller's house, so, If they decided to bring one of the houses in 06, I wouldn't be too mad,

I know, I know everyone would be kinda mad about it, but, 70-80 percent of the people going to HHN, they don't even know the backstories of the icons, or the houses, people last year were calling Eddie Jason Voorhees and calling Cindy the girl from the Orfanage....

I know we are getting original houses, but if they decided to bring the ghost house back, I don't think too many people would complain

but, I really understand your points about the story

I realize that about the general public. Art and Design realizes that about the general public. They have shown, however, that they recognize how much passion WE have about the event. They have even gone as far as putting shoutouts in scarezones directed at active HHN Online community members. I would like to believe that they feel bringing a rehash out from the files would be a bit of a disservice to us. Ship of Screams did get some flack for being too similar to Frightanic. I never went through the '98 house, and even I knew it.

I was thinking about my stance on this yesterday, and I realized that '06 is a great example of how to "revisit" (reimagine) a house from the past. They took the Dungeon of Terror, gave it a story and roadside attraction overlay for the same concept with a different feel. They took "People Under the Stairs" and deconstructed it with a gimmick to give a fresh take on dated franchise. They did a similar thing with Psycho, focusing on the visuals of Norman Bates' mind rather than the Bates Motel itself. Run, an adrenline-pumping classic, turned into a scene-based torture house. Psychoscarepy, amped up the dark comedy by adding a clown, where the original was an effective, though relatively straight-forward asylum. Screamhouse worked to conclude a story that started in 2002, and changed the tone by creating a "cult" of sorts to follow Albert Caine. The only house that, essentially, more of the same was DrIvE In: Final Cut, which had the benefit of being "collage" house which can change and progress easily by including different franchises and films.

Each house that year took an old concept and attempted to turn it on its head. It made some better (Psychoscarepy) and made some worse (Screamhouse peaked on the original) but A&D advanced the concepts that they were revisiting. That year is proof that it can be done, and Psychoscarepy is proof that a franchise can continue simply by changing tone (and location).

IF a western ghost town is going to be revisited with Legendary Truth, it better a deserted, derelict place and not the period piece Ghost Town was. That's the only (concievable) way to fully revisit that specific of a them without building the same house. Granted, a town that appears during lightning storms could just appear during a different storm... but then what has changed.

I know it's all about money... But I don't get why Creative doesn't get...well more creative. Do the in queue videos really have to match the houses if it costs too much to produce? What about just addressing the theme? How about having a contest and let fans create their own videos that we can watch while we wait... Once the theme gets out, let the future autuers get crackin'. Get the creators to sign a release (which of course they will) and maybe have a place to vote for a favorite which can be announced Halloween night.

Just a random idea...

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this post but THAT is a GREAT idea!!! I'll have to remember to add that one to the HHN surveys from now on!

Mae

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this post but THAT is a GREAT idea!!! I'll have to remember to add that one to the HHN surveys from now on!

Mae

The main reason why A&D probably won't do something like that is because of continuity. The queue videos that had been built specifically for houses, many times, were actually filmed in the house itself. Even some web promos are shot in the house (last year's Havoc and OrFanage games come to mind). An aspiring film maker outside of Universal itself wouldn't have the access to accomplish that. Also, with how late Universal seems to want to reveal the specific themes and stories of each event (end of August, beginning of September), allowing film submissions would require films to be conceived, shot, submitted, judged and selected for each individual house in the span of (tops) six weeks. While I would LOVE to see a "Submission" contest tied into HHN, to attempt something like this in such a short span of time (especially when there would be no true continuity with the house itself visually because no one eligible to compete will have seen the houses) is far too impractical to actually attempt.

I firmly believe there is potential in doing a sort of "Fan-Submitted" house of scarezone, which would allow submissions to be turned in the summer of a year prior, top-picks selected by A&D/Management from August-September and then online voting during the event with winner announced on Halloween Night. Then, the winning submitter gets to "Work with" A&D on the development of the house (get to visit the facilities, see concepts develop during the design process, etc) through out the year and then gets to see their idea come to life the following year. That would be more logistically feasible than a six-week film contest.

Actually, Universal Hollywood has had a variation on the concept for the past two years now... The submissions aren't related to the houses or themes, but just scary 5 minute videos. My suggestion was in lieu of the Universal produced theme related videos (which we know some years they don't produce at all). Instead, why not show some fan created videos. Heck, they can be about past themes or icons even. Or, heaven forbid, Creative release a broad, general theme a little earlier and let the fan's creative juices flow (Isn't that what we do on these boards for months anyway?). I personally would rather see some kind of video projected on the walls whether it's related to the event or not, instead of just those house titles we've had in years past.

But like I said, it was just a thought. Ideally, I'd want long, Universal produced, theme related videos. But don't underestimate what our avid fan base can produce. I've seen amazing work done in far less time than 6 weeks.

The main reason why A&D probably won't do something like that is because of continuity. The queue videos that had been built specifically for houses, many times, were actually filmed in the house itself. Even some web promos are shot in the house (last year's Havoc and OrFanage games come to mind). An aspiring film maker outside of Universal itself wouldn't have the access to accomplish that. Also, with how late Universal seems to want to reveal the specific themes and stories of each event (end of August, beginning of September), allowing film submissions would require films to be conceived, shot, submitted, judged and selected for each individual house in the span of (tops) six weeks. While I would LOVE to see a "Submission" contest tied into HHN, to attempt something like this in such a short span of time (especially when there would be no true continuity with the house itself visually because no one eligible to compete will have seen the houses) is far too impractical to actually attempt.

I firmly believe there is potential in doing a sort of "Fan-Submitted" house of scarezone, which would allow submissions to be turned in the summer of a year prior, top-picks selected by A&D/Management from August-September and then online voting during the event with winner announced on Halloween Night. Then, the winning submitter gets to "Work with" A&D on the development of the house (get to visit the facilities, see concepts develop during the design process, etc) through out the year and then gets to see their idea come to life the following year. That would be more logistically feasible than a six-week film contest.

Actually, Universal Hollywood has had a variation on the concept for the past two years now... The submissions aren't related to the houses or themes, but just scary 5 minute videos. My suggestion was in lieu of the Universal produced theme related videos (which we know some years they don't produce at all). Instead, why not show some fan created videos. Heck, they can be about past themes or icons even. Or, heaven forbid, Creative release a broad, general theme a little earlier and let the fan's creative juices flow (Isn't that what we do on these boards for months anyway?). I personally would rather see some kind of video projected on the walls whether it's related to the event or not, instead of just those house titles we've had in years past.

But like I said, it was just a thought. Ideally, I'd want long, Universal produced, theme related videos. But don't underestimate what our avid fan base can produce. I've seen amazing work done in far less time than 6 weeks.

It's not the fans that I believe would cause the hold up. It would be Universal management. Viewing hundreds of five minute shorts, reviewing and the selecting them, getting those selections approved by management, all in the frantic weeks leading up to the biggest month on the park's calendar would be too much, I think.

I think it's awesome that Hollywood does do the film contest, but the structure of their event when compared to the East Coast is nowhere near as micro-managed. Hollywood knows it's going to have movie-themed houses, to the extent where they hold online surveys about what the fans would like to see. They already have four of the Code Names for houses and have seen a glimpse of a house plan that was posted by a creative head. Because it is, for all respects and purposes, a "Horror-Movie" event (and less a general "Horror" event like ours) they get the benefit of being loosely managed. It's a different sort of atmosfear their trying to develop.

Orlando, on the other hand, actively attempts to create a self-contained world. A&D, along with Management, wants it to make sense to the rules that it sets for itself (ie - every house gets a subtitle!). Because of that, they want to keep it as close to the chest as possible. A theme that is too broad, like "Horror," or even, "Fear," doesn't truly hint at the event then. It just allows for any scary short to be filmed. But if have theme that is still rather broad but different, such as, "History," "Literature," or "Legends," you have pretty much just spoiled the entire theme of the event, and that's without any true specifics. The line of "broad themes" is pretty much indiscernable between giving nothing and everything away.

I do like the idea of the film contest, and would love to see it, but (from a practicality stand-point) I can understand why Orlando would never want to do it and have it tied 'directly' into the event.

While I don't want to see movie houses for quite a long time, I think Insidious by James Wan would be a very good suggestion. I saw it last night and I was so inspired that I'm writing up my own house walkthrough, which I'm posting in the Your HHN/HOS Ideas thread. If you can, go see the movie. One of the few truly scary horror films I've seen.

How about a house based off the upcoming The Thing prequel?

I think it was mentioned around here before, or another thread, but, not much discussion about it,

It would be AWESOME though, specially if they make it a stage house not a tent