HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

To hold us once we get our information, this is the place to post your ideas on what you would like to see at HHN 21 (2011).

EDIT (mz_): This will be a Pre-Speculation thread until it's time for legit speculation.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Universal has been impressing upon us that this will be a farewell year for many icons and traditions, and I really do hope that they stick to their guns on it. I'm all for starting fresh and wouldn't mind if Jack, the Caretaker, the Usher, the Storyteller, and the Director were put into storage for a good while. Even under-utilized icons like Mary, Eddie, Cindy, Darkness, Terra Queen, etc. should probably ake a break for now. Again, love'em all, but seeing new characters will be more exciting.

Old franchises and houses need to be concluded too. No more Psychoscareapy, Body Collectors, All Nite Die-In, Treaks, Chainsaw Drill Team, etc. Don't bring back Midway of the Bizarre, Deadtropolis, or whatever favorites fans may have.

Looking at HHNXX, there are some interesting ideas that could develop more in future years. The most obvious new franchise would most likely be the continuing story of Z-Day from Zombiegeddon and Zombie Gras. I don't immediately recall HHN having a reaccuring zombie franchise, and it seems you could imagine some good houses or zones from seeing how Z-Day has affected various parts of the country.

I'd love to see Havoc's Dogs of War take it to the streets. Give'em a scarezone!

The New Yorkshire setting from Saws 'n Steam seems like a ripe idea too. I'm not really a fan of steampunk, but making a house out of that theme could be cool.

Legendary Truth could be a neat franchise too. Not saying there will be constant haunted houses, but maybe the houses can take place in different investigations exploring bizarre phenomenon (UFOs, cryptozoology, etc.) Very X-Files like.

Edited by reilysclone

HISTORY OF HORROR

-Jack the Ripper

-Catacombs

-Hades

-Sleepy Hollow

-Samhain

-Skeletons

-Witches

-Harvest Time/Corn Field

-Trick r' Treat (based off the movie)

-Voodoo

-Day of the Dead

-Pegan Traditions

-The Hallow 2

-Lizzie Borden

It would basically be a year where all the events, environments, and iconic creatures that played their part in "horror" and Halloween over the years, all come together at HHN XXI.

I am extremely glad they did the day of the dead scarezone this year, I remember there was a thread about it in the Vault, and now I wish they did a voodoo house/scarezone

a voodoo doctor, I think a house based on a swamp would be amazing,

Does the departure of the Director and the Usher means no more "movie Scene" houses for a while? I really liked their houses, just wondering about this

For what it's worth, there was a rumor that a clue to HHN21 was Catacombs. I posted the following in the Catacombs thread, but it's more appropriate for here.

The Latin, I don't think, is the clue. What I was able to get from it translated (roughly) into:

"Violent Death" (Latin word I couldn't translate) "Sleep"

"To Hear" (Latin) (Latin) (Latin)

It's a fairly long phrase, and I'm still playing with it some, but considering guests would never be able to see it (there was no show light on it, it can only be seen during a lights on tour), I'm starting to lean more towards another clue.

The final paragraph in the museum portion of the house began with the phrase; "Mankind has always been intrigued by Death." Grammatically, the word "death" should NOT be capitalized there. It's obviously intentional, and capitalizing it personifies death (much the same way Fear is the personification of fear). When you throw in the fact that the rest of the paragraph talks, rather bluntly, about how everything must end and you must fill that time with something suitable while anticipating a new beginning, it begins to eerily correlate with the events of HHN.

The supposed connection with Orfanage, similarly, fits as well. Follow this, it's a bit of a stretch.

Hades deals with monsters in the underworld.

LT deals with ghost who are already dead.

Psychoscarepy deals with either ghost who are already dead or forgotten inmates who are not dead.

Zombiegeddon deals with the undead.

Hallow'd Past deals with the past.

Havoc deals with psychotic super-soldiers.

Catacombs deals with the people dying from the Black Death and the people attempting to prevent it.

Orfanage deals with children dying and the person who caused it.

Catacombs and Orfanage are the only two houses this year that specifically deal with death... or better yet... Death.

We have seen the personification of Fear. We have seen that Universal has toyed with the idea of personifying Fate. Death, suddenly, doesn't seem so far outside the realm of possibility.

That said, Catacombs could easily return as another house or as a street (though those mask would be a nightmare in the streets for scareactors). The Dogs could return or Shadow Creek could be investigated further without the dogs. The Legendary Truth franchise could continue, but only if they "visit" different "locations" which would allow the effects to return in different ways. And with the push towards original content I think we will begin to see a lot less movie references.

For what it's worth, there was a rumor that a clue to HHN21 was Catacombs. I posted the following in the Catacombs thread, but it's more appropriate for here.

The Latin, I don't think, is the clue. What I was able to get from it translated (roughly) into:

"Violent Death" (Latin word I couldn't translate) "Sleep"

"To Hear" (Latin) (Latin) (Latin)

It's a fairly long phrase, and I'm still playing with it some, but considering guests would never be able to see it (there was no show light on it, it can only be seen during a lights on tour), I'm starting to lean more towards another clue.

The final paragraph in the museum portion of the house began with the phrase; "Mankind has always been intrigued by Death." Grammatically, the word "death" should NOT be capitalized there. It's obviously intentional, and capitalizing it personifies death (much the same way Fear is the personification of fear). When you throw in the fact that the rest of the paragraph talks, rather bluntly, about how everything must end and you must fill that time with something suitable while anticipating a new beginning, it begins to eerily correlate with the events of HHN.

The supposed connection with Orfanage, similarly, fits as well. Follow this, it's a bit of a stretch.

Hades deals with monsters in the underworld.

LT deals with ghost who are already dead.

Psychoscarepy deals with either ghost who are already dead or forgotten inmates who are not dead.

Zombiegeddon deals with the undead.

Hallow'd Past deals with the past.

Havoc deals with psychotic super-soldiers.

Catacombs deals with the people dying from the Black Death and the people attempting to prevent it.

Orfanage deals with children dying and the person who caused it.

Catacombs and Orfanage are the only two houses this year that specifically deal with death... or better yet... Death.

We have seen the personification of Fear. We have seen that Universal has toyed with the idea of personifying Fate. Death, suddenly, doesn't seem so far outside the realm of possibility.

That said, Catacombs could easily return as another house or as a street (though those mask would be a nightmare in the streets for scareactors). The Dogs could return or Shadow Creek could be investigated further without the dogs. The Legendary Truth franchise could continue, but only if they "visit" different "locations" which would allow the effects to return in different ways. And with the push towards original content I think we will begin to see a lot less movie references.

yeah I read your post of the rumor before, I really love what you wrote because if we got Death, that would be freaking amazing, specially if we got a house, I loved this year, I really do, but I don't think it was that scary, it was a lot of fun and it was extremely entertaining, but, I would be happy if they made next year a little more scary, and if the Death rumor happened to be true, they could pull that off,]just like Fear has been behind the HHN past, Death could also play a role like that, seeing how death is portrayed in HHN year after year,

I've always wanted to see a Michael Myers/ Halloween house. But i think that the next couple years are going to be original ideas again and no movie houses. I'd like to see another version of Havoc and Catacombs but I don't see that happening this year. What about houses based on Literature? Like classic novels or short stories with dark meanings. I think Universal could do a lot with that.

I second that...

I think that they should use IOA , atleast some of it. Have a couple of scare zones and maybe a show

in the toon theater. It would help with the crowds and lines at the houses.

And yes, I'm sure they can afford to pay for the extra help to man the rides/shows.

I'd love to see Havoc's Dogs of War take it to the streets. Give'em a scarezone!

The New Yorkshire setting from Saws 'n Steam seems like a ripe idea too. I'm not really a fan of steampunk, but making a house out of that theme could be cool.

I really like both of these ideas. The actors in Havoc were fantastic and it was almost a shame to have them confined to a house. Put those bad boys and girls out on the streets and it would be insane.

Also, I know we had Frankenstein last year as a Steampunk house, but I'd love to see a more traditional steampunk house in a soundstage in one of the upcoming years. Something set in a factory, with moving machines and steam, with lots of steel everywhere. Angry workers with wrenches and various other tools and weapons attacking you.

Of course I love the idea of anything Catacombs related returning.

Overall, I think next year Universal has it's work cut out for them if they want to top this year. After having "fear" as the icon, how do you do something scarier than fear himself?

I don't think we will see two parks used again any time in the future and I honestly don't want to see it. Besides, the only reason why IOA is cool for HHN is because Jurassic Park is a really kickass place to have a scarezone. The park would be full of dead areas since Universal isn't allowed to put a scarezone in Seuss or Potter.

Edited by Jumboshrmp

I am definitely loving that you guys agree that HAVOC should be brought to the streets. Me and the rest of the dogs have still remained close since the end of HHN. We hangout like every weekend and the biggest conversation amongst us was to bring HAVOC to the streets.

aka

HAVOC: Unleashed

Get it? Dogs Leashes, HAVOC: Dogs of War --> HAVOC: Unleashed. (Not confined to an area on a leash (House) but unleashed onto the streets (Scarezone).

I don't think (or hope) they'll have HHN again at IOA due to like Andrew said, not being able to spookify Potter or Seuss.

1. Can't spookify Potter or Seuss

2. Jurassic Park (one of, possibly the, best and scariest islands to use) is the farthest away from Univeral. So doing something along the lines of 2004 (where the left half of IOA and the right half of US) just wouldn't work, unless they use all of IOA.

3. The two (out of 3) islands of the left half of IOA are Potter and Seuss.

4. Theming is limited. A&D can only use so many themes for the scarezones before they run out.

5. During these hard times, I don't think Universal would have enough money to theme/man/ect. IOA as well as US.

6. While it would take away crowds from US, the streets of IOA would be very crowded.

I don't think (or hope) they'll have HHN again at IOA due to like Andrew said, not being able to spookify Potter or Seuss.

1. Can't spookify Potter or Seuss

2. Jurassic Park (one of, possibly the, best and scariest islands to use) is the farthest away from Univeral. So doing something along the lines of 2004 (where the left half of IOA and the right half of US) just wouldn't work, unless they use all of IOA.

3. The two (out of 3) islands of the left half of IOA are Potter and Seuss.

4. Theming is limited. A&D can only use so many themes for the scarezones before they run out.

5. During these hard times, I don't think Universal would have enough money to theme/man/ect. IOA as well as US.

6. While it would take away crowds from US, the streets of IOA would be very crowded.

But, in reply to your statement about IOA being used, look at HHN 2004. Both parks, USF & IOA were used perfectly, while managing not using Seuss Land or Lost Continent aka (WWOHP). On another note, which in the VIP Lounge this year A&D did say, IOA hasn't been used in awhile, because they haven't found the perfect concept to tie in with the area. They also said, they could use IOA again, so you never know. :) This is the perfect layout which they could use, if they ever wanted to use both parks again:

Picture1-12.png

After having "fear" as the icon, how do you do something scarier than fear himself?

Simple. Rosie O' Donnel. :rolleyes:

The actors in Havoc were fantastic and it was almost a shame to have them confined to a house. Put those bad boys and girls out on the streets and it would be insane.

Also, I know we had Frankenstein last year as a Steampunk house, but I'd love to see a more traditional steampunk house in a soundstage in one of the upcoming years. Something set in a factory, with moving machines and steam, with lots of steel everywhere. Angry workers with wrenches and various other tools and weapons attacking you.

Of course I love the idea of anything Catacombs related returning.

I don't think we will see two parks used again any time in the future and I honestly don't want to see it. Besides, the only reason why IOA is cool for HHN is because Jurassic Park is a really kicka** place to have a scarezone. The park would be full of dead areas since Universal isn't allowed to put a scarezone in Seuss or Potter.

The actors in Havoc were awesome! Glad I went a second night because the first night I went, the lines were extremely long and I didn't get the chance to see Havoc. Thankfully, I had the blessing of being able to go a second nigh in a row to do all that I missed. FoTL Pass is a must if I ever have the opportunity financially to go again! :P I could only imagine a highly-themed scarezone on Havoc. If they were to utilize it at both parks, I could see them having a Havoc scarezone where Marvel Island is. I think maybe in front of Disaster would work best. Be thankful this isn't the West coast because if it was, people would be demanding, "Havoc was awesome! Bring it back next year!" If they do have one, I hope they bring back that machine gun that was on the facade for it....that was epic!

A steampunk maze, or house depending on what coast you're on, :P would be really cool inside of a sound stage. I guess Havoc can switch from being a haunted house to a scarezone and Saws n' Steam be switched from a scarezone to house.

As for Catacombs, I thought for sure they would give us light helmets for that house. Is there any reason why they stopped doing the helmet houses?

Although I wish I could've seen the hybrid of USF and IoA, if it means more dead space then I say no. I thought there was too much of it this year.

IOA...WITH A BIG TENT OVER IT!

I'm not in Orlando, so please forgive me for not doing my homework...but where did that crazy rumor start anyway?

about the Islands of adventure, the thing that kinda pisses me off is that, Islands of adventure is where the icons were "born" sort of speak, except jack, I kinda wish they did it at islands at least once every 5-10 years, that would be good enough, I understand that Islands has some problems but, they were able to have the event there for 4 years, so, It could Not have been that bad, My dream Year would be both parks, but I would just be happy with seeing the event at islands, even if it was one more time, I know is more likely to not happen, I know the event at the studios is fine and they probably won't ever do it in islands, but, I think they could be able to do it in both parks and not make it feel so empty, I think they could pull it off,

HAVOC: Unleashed definitely has my vote! Siiiick.

For the record, I'll shave my head for Shadow Creek ANYTIME!

I'd love to see some progression with Shadow Creek. Other test experiments being mass-produced to try and erradicate the Dogs of War, unsuccessfully. We could definitely use victims if and when they do bring us back.