HHN XX Rants

Michele

I think it's pretty clearly mentioned that the express pass is good for one trip ONLY through each house. You should be happy you managed to skip the lines twice 7 out of 8 times, instead of being rightly turned away at the other ONE. Most people would have had the same experience with staff at all 8 houses.

Edited by Dave Moseley

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scare people out of smoking. Last year, I let it pass because there were so many of them; this year, there aren't nearly as many smokers, and I always tell them, in character, where the smoking ssection is and what can happen if they don't go there. I am concerned about cigarettes and our propane tanks for the fire.

Baby Firefly, while it sounds like the cast members could have handled the situation a little better, I have to agree that you were lucky you got to use it twice as much as you did. I always try to hit as many houses (usually my favorites or initially the ones I think I will like best) as I can without express early in the night so I can use the express for my second trip through. I would never expect them to let me go through a house twice with it and honestly, even though sometimes I am pretty sure it has not scanned, I don't even try it. Because that's not what I paid for and I know it.

It would be nice to see a super express pass someday, although I'm not sure how that would work. I'm afraid the express lines would be worse than they were last Thursday. (That's my rant for this week by the way...I only managed to make it through each house once...on an "off peak" night...and I was there until almost closing. Yet Friday I managed 13 house trips between 6:00 and 10:30...so I'm not sure what was going on there but I didn't like it. I think some of it was pulsing related, but I don't think all of it. I even overheard a cast member at the entrance to the Express line to Orfanage say to another co-worker she couldn't understand what was going on and she felt bad that all the people waiting to get into the express line had paid "good money" and their wait is as long or longer than the regular line. Did every express holder hit Orfanage all at the same time? Doubtful)

Kim, I like your "anti-smoking" campaign.

My biggest peeve is the A#%@ole's that come through with cameras in the houses and take pictures or ask to take pictures.....seriously??? Youre an idiot.....wavers I despise because they look retarded. People who say I see you I would LOVE to punch you in the dang face and then scream at you "did you see that A#%^&ole?!?!??" It's so irritating especially the members on here, luckily those who have done this don't have their names on their shirts otherwise I'd call them out, who come through shaking their heads, and saying rude things like "this house sucks, these costumes are stupid, lame, dumb, etc...these people suck at scaring, this house is boring"......seriously??? SHUTTUP....most of you on here who have been saying this aren't even old enough to work the event so stop criticizing something you don't really know and understand. The older members on here I applaud you for your maturity. The scareactors on here, I applaud you for your efforts....we all get tired of this after awhile, and it gets irritiating when people on our own boards are talking crap about our houses, costumes, fellow scareactors, etc...as they are coming through....

I hear ya Dons_Girl88, I truly believe that you experience is based 50% off you preconcieved idea. If you are all big and bad and think "Uh this is stupid" or "not scary" when you go in... rarely will you change that opinon. this could include, but is not limited too, feelings towards concept, attitude in general, extinuating circumstances affecting your mood. The other 50% will be determined by the actual performance and timing...

So people who have a chip on their shoulder when they walk in... typically have it when they walk out...

I hate hearing "It's not scary"... you either have the ability to tell the difference between reality and fantasy or you don't.. Do you think I'm really scared after 19 years of haunted house from universal and building my own several times? Hardly... I know what is real and what is not. I know, in a controlled environment... there is NOTHING they can do to truly frighten me. I can be startled sure... but not frightened.

I think some of it stems from the fact that people see the first time and the rush and excitement as THE best... and then nothing really hits that level again. For me I remember the first DOT as Epic and incredibly scary... but I think a lot of that is rose colored glasses. It is a fact that things have amped WAY up over the years... I remember the first years, I didn't really think twice about my 2 year old brother coming to the event... Now I honestly woould cringe at anyone under 12 being there. The sets, the details, the atmosphere, the scale, the immersive nature is unparalled anywhere.

Our culture is so jaded that you would actually have to put them in physical jeapordy to feel anything half the time... So there will never be an event that lives up to their rediculous, unrealiastic event... there is a ceiling when safety is a concern.

Edited by JWFearman

I don't think I can agree with a statement more that that last paragraph JW. But it all cones down to, why do people like that waste their money? When a-holes come through my room doing thier a-hole things, I don't scare them or anyone in thier party, so thier whole party wasted money, stupidity!

And since this is the ran thread, can I express my hatred for iPhone spellcheck? For making me edit my posts three to four times because they replace wrong words, guess I just use off-the-wall words here

Edited by gatoralex

I really dislike people who walk through my area and insist on touching my curtain or area around my boo-hole. Sometimes I have actually run into people's hands/arms because they have done this just as I am moving the curtain back to pop out. oops

Also, I can't stand too far back into my boo-hole because if I do I can't see people coming. If you look back into my boo-hole and see me....why would you point me out so that you ruin it for others who didn't want to be told where scareactors are??!!??

I like having an ops person in my room (especially 2 of them) and think they do a good job. That being said, I think they all need to do a better job of keeping the people from being able to stand at the door at the end of the hall. It allows them to see too much of the "man behind the curtain". My scene partner tries to keep them moving as well, but it doesn't always work.

That is all......for now

I guess I didn't thoroughly re read my post.

My rant was not that I wasn't allowed to see the house a second time but in how I was treated by the greeter and the supervisor for asking to see the house twice. Talking to me like I was scum of the earth was not warranted by my tone or actions. I wasn't rude and I wasn't a stumbling drunk with an attitude. A pleasant "no" would have worked just fine and I would have been on my way without any disappointment.

I realize people on here feel that my rant is "silly" however, when you spend so much money to attend the event, having employees of the park talk at me like I'm scum was absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by BabyFirefly

I guess I didn't thoroughly re read my post.

My rant was not that I wasn't allowed to see the house a second time but in how I was treated by the greeter and the supervisor for asking to see the house twice. Talking to me like I was scum of the earth was not warranted by my tone or actions. I wasn't rude and I wasn't a stumbling drunk with an attitude. A pleasant "no" would have worked just fine and I would have been on my way without any disappointment.

I realize people on here feel that my rant is "silly" however, when you spend so much money to attend the event, having employees of the park talk at me like I'm scum was absolutely ridiculous.

fair enough.. but consider this...

you were ASKING if you could break the rules. Now if your job was to enforce the rules, and someone came up to you insisting that they should be allowed to break those rules, and moreover that they have been breaking them all night... how would you react?

If you were working at a store and someone walked past the register and said "im just gonna take this" while waving an item in their hands?

If you were a police officer and someone told you they were going to have a beer while driving, and its cool, they've been doing it all night?

etc etc...

I

you were ASKING if you could break the rules. Now if your job was to enforce the rules, and someone came up to you insisting that they should be allowed to break those rules, and moreover that they have been breaking them all night... how would you react?

If you were working at a store and someone walked past the register and said "im just gonna take this" while waving an item in their hands?

If you were a police officer and someone told you they were going to have a beer while driving, and its cool, they've been doing it all night?

etc etc...

I

The thing is though, it's really not that big of a deal. Last year, quite a few of the people let us in houses for a second and even a third time with the express. Some just politely said "sorry, but you've used this already". It really isn't a huge deal, and he could have been polite about it.

That's my two cents ;)

etc etc...

I

I actually totally agree with Rob.

Another thing you're not considering- you've stood in those lines and pushed along to the guy with the scanner so you know what its like, even in express. There was a long line of frustrated people behind you and even if you were polite about it, by you insisting to him that other houses allowed it etc, you were wasting his/other people in lines time and I'm sure his only concern at the time was that some one was in line holding things up that shouldn't be and he wanted you gone so he could keep things moving. He was doing his job. By you not just agreeing and leaving when he said to, he was entitled to change his tone with you to get you moving. If you were a few people back in that line and saw some people holding things up with the employee, even for just a minute, you know you wouldn't appreciate it.

As someone who checked express passes for 2 years, it was never a big deal. If someone asked politely, and our wait wasn't too long, and they had no more than 3-4 in their party, I would let them go as many times as they wanted.

If someone came up to me calling BS that they never rode before, that my scanner is lying, or were just plain rude then no, I would tell them to take it to guest services because they're not going through express.

So in this case, if the attendant was rude when I was politely asking then yeah I'd be upset. But if you were rude, begging, etc. then no I wouldn't let you go through either. It really comes down to several factors including the wait time, the person, the attitude, the amount of people you had with you, among many many other things. I've met the person you're talking to a couple of times and he doesn't seem like the person that would come off as rude for no reason. He was probably just having a bad night, or he had been asked that several times before and people were complaining when the line was too long.

tl;dr - Too many factors. It's not a big deal. Realize that these attendants and supervisors deal with drunk assholes all month, so they get frustrated with people really, really easily. HHN is hell for attendants/vendors/supervisors. Don't take anything they say personally.

As someone who checked express passes for 2 years, it was never a big deal. If someone asked politely, and our wait wasn't too long, and they had no more than 3-4 in their party, I would let them go as many times as they wanted.

If someone came up to me calling BS that they never rode before, that my scanner is lying, or were just plain rude then no, I would tell them to take it to guest services because they're not going through express.

So in this case, if the attendant was rude when I was politely asking then yeah I'd be upset. But if you were rude, begging, etc. then no I wouldn't let you go through either. It really comes down to several factors including the wait time, the person, the attitude, the amount of people you had with you, among many many other things. I've met the person you're talking to a couple of times and he doesn't seem like the person that would come off as rude for no reason. He was probably just having a bad night, or he had been asked that several times before and people were complaining when the line was too long.

tl;dr - Too many factors. It's not a big deal. Realize that these attendants and supervisors deal with drunk assholes all month, so they get frustrated with people really, really easily. HHN is hell for attendants/vendors/supervisors. Don't take anything they say personally.

You have said it best and I agree with you. I was pleasant and asked nicely. There were only two in our party and only four people behind us. I'm over it, just confused why he was so rude to me = ranting on a website with a rant thread. That is all.

Shall we move on now??

While waiting in line to see the guys fro Ghost Hunters I met a very nice couple. They told me that when we got up there they would take my picture with Dave and Steve and then they would send it to me in my email. It's been over a week now and still no picture. The only info I have on her is that she is a short girl maybe like 5/2 with shoulder length hair and that she works in the counseling department at UCF. I know not much to go on. By no means am I upset I just really wanted that pic of me and the Ghost Hunter guys...

Finally got the pic... :):):)

Edited by TNA

Guest FL Universal Jax

This is a conversation that I overheard last week while waiting for Catacombs. "Are you going to see Bill and Ted? No dude, I heard it sucks."

Don't judge things that you haven't seen yourself. It's one thing to see the show, then draw a conclusion. But don't be an ass and not see something because your friend said so.

Security is a joke this year. First night I didn't bring my mace or knife, as i remember my dad having a chain on his wallet and them forcing him to remove it back in like 2005...and then my dad decided to be an ass and take his sweet time removing it they let him just go with it lol....The check system is actually working, as I checked in my knife the second night I came, and retrieved it easily. Third night I came I put my knife in the bowl, expecting them to give me the coupon so I could go check it in...they said nothing. I held it up visibly, and put it in my pocket...nothing. Oh, not to mention the pepper spray I've been carrying with me ever since I started traveling on a motorcycle. Absolutely nothing. I complained about it on the survey. I understand that it made it a hell of a lot easier for me to take the knife in, but anybody easily could have snuck one in, and while I don't carry my knife with me for self defense (That's what the mace is for...the knife is a tool for when something on my 30 year old motorcycle inevitably breaks) those people may be...and they may be the type to pull a knife on a scareactor. I shudder at the thought.

Also, a lot of the staff is really awful this year. Having an ops lady point her flashlight for me to follow the quite obvious conga line makes me just want to scream "I'm not five lady! I can see those people that are one foot in front of me! I know that I need to follow them!" The guest services lady who SCREAMED at a staff member in front of everyone because he told us we didn't need a coupon for the Florida discount...and then tried arguing with us so we'd pay the full amount. Uh, yeah, NO. We were told over the damn phone that we didn't need a coupon. Anyhow, what got me the worst was the condescending voice to her underling "Just go ahead and sell it to them!" Like it was really that hard to do.

Though there are quite a lot of great staff members out there, and EVERY scareactor is awesome this year. The bad staff just make everyone look bad, I'm just happy that the hard feelings from the second to last time I went didn't stick with me (They almost did, but I forced myself to go). I'm still enjoying myself, and I plan to enjoy myself....that's how I get revenge on my antagonisers.

Okay, so I know that you would never do anything with the knife or the mace, but the fact that they saw that you had it and they did nothing to have you check them seriously scares me. Makes me wonder how often stuff like that gets through in this manner....those security members should have been fired right then. The last thing I have to worry about out there is someone pulling a weapon on me when I go to scare someone. Thank you for mentioning that on the survey...hopefully it has been corrected. Glad you are enjoying the event! :)

That's exactly what I'm saying Giant. I was tempted to go to one of the security people to let them know that I just walked in with them, but then envisioned a scenario in which they bully me for "sneaking" it in, and kick me out. Not probable, but possible, and I didn't want to ruin my night. They should have a separate line for people that openly admit they have weapons that they'd like to check, and then check the bowls thoroughly for those who don't admit it...and just have them check in the weapons. Not so hard....and for the love of God, keep it to real weapons...not pins or buttons or nail clippers or something stupid like that -.-. This isn't an airport lol.

Haven't posted in a while but after reading these weapons ones I remembered something. Twice in the times that I have gone the security guards have stopped lento look at my keys. Why? Because there are two fake keys from Disney and they are questioning whether they are weapons or not. It usually takes about ten minutes for a lead to come over and say that KEYS are ok. What's up with that?

Well we know we are aleast safe from buttons! <_<

Not quite... I've gone through with my Vault button four times and the wonderful Cindy button you gave me three times, attached to my bag so in plain site, with no problem. So watch out folks. I'm armed.

Edited by Sylvanas

Not quite... I've gone through with my Vault button four times and the wonderful Cindy button you gave me three times, attached to my bag so in plain site, with no problem. So watch out folks. I'm armed.

Well when I go through with a button I'm escorted out of the park.. so I guess I look like a serial poker...

Edit:

I shouldn't harp. Universal very nicely resolved the issue. I just hear these stories of people getting in with REAL weapons and it just fuels my fire.

Edited by JWFearman

Just want to rant a little. It seems like me and friends happen to get the most jerkiest looks when my friends and I entertain ourselves while waiting through the queue. And no, we're not obnoxious loud drunks who don't know they're being annoying; we just like to play games in line. Trivia questions, 20 questions, those kinds of games. Do you guys have your own means of entertaining yourselves while waiting in these long lines, and get evil looks from other people around you for doing so? It's not our fault if they can't find something to do and you know, the games we play actually make the time in the line go by much faster.