HHN XX VIP Lounge

Oysterhead00

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if you look at the pictures on the previous page, WHY would it be 21 and up? Why can't miners attend? Michele said there wasn't even a place to buy drinks there. Even if there WAS alcohol being served, what's the difference between that and all the beer vender's in the park? Really, you're loosing money. I mean, If you offer it to both older and younger fans, you're gonna get more cash.

But if you look at the pictures on the previous page, WHY would it be 21 and up? Why can't miners attend? Michele said there wasn't even a place to buy drinks there. Even if there WAS alcohol being served, what's the difference between that and all the beer vender's in the park? Really, you're loosing money. I mean, If you offer it to both older and younger fans, you're gonna get more cash.

No kidding. They lost my 10 bucks. The waitresses can ID, just like the bars - absolutely no discernable reason for such an odd restriction. A significant disappointment, and I will be submitting a complaint letter to Universal. Hopefully they wise up and eliminate that restriction by the time I return in 2 weeks.

No kidding. They lost my 10 bucks. The waitresses can ID, just like the bars - absolutely no discernable reason for such an odd restriction. A significant disappointment, and I will be submitting a complaint letter to Universal. Hopefully they wise up and eliminate that restriction by the time I return in 2 weeks.

In fact, I GOT carded when I ordered a drink in the VIP lounge.

It's a little odd that it's 21 and over when there is a lot of under age members here... I mean, the whole VIP Lounge seems more like a fan thing than a general public thing.

It is a fan thing... an adult fan thing. While I sympathise with some of the younger members of the HHN community, I'm sure that they had a perfectly reasonable motive for enforcing an age restriction. And I wouldn't necessarily assume that it's alcoholic-related.

Edited by Nightshade

It is a fan thing... an adult fan thing. While I sympathise with some of the younger members of the HHN community, I'm sure that they had a perfectly reasonable motive for enforcing an age restriction. And I wouldn't necessarily assume that it's alcoholic-related.

I see what you're saying, but couldn't they at least have done 18?

Yes, exactly... while there is a young fanbase out there and they are vocal on the forums because they have a lot of time to post... HHN is still an event geared to ADULTS, and these discussions are geared to an adult fanbase. They also ask that the discussions not be uploaded to youtube as well... they have their reasons and while you may not understand them, they are good ones. There are a lot of things you can't do till 21, and this is one of them. You might not like it, and none of us did when were were too young.. but respect it.

I honestly feel that HHN in a sense is not purely geared at adults, at least not anymore. The event is clearly advertised as being PG-13 rated - it's on the advertisements, the maps, and the warnings in front of the houses. There is a significant portion of HHN's fan base that is under the age of 21 - myself included. The alcohol argument has been circumvented, which leaves me a bit puzzled as to why this restriction is in place. Is there a particular reason people over the age of 21 should get to see concept art & classic props while minors do not? The douchebags and trolls who frequent the event are generally not a part of the HHN fanbase (otherwise they wouldn't be trolling such a wonderful event in the first place), so the argument that they're attempting to keep that crowd out of the space is also a bit weak. I pay premiums to attend the event multiple times each year, I serve as free advertising by getting my friends to partake, I participate in the online discussions and speculation - and yet I am turned away from a museum of the past I would adore to see. Call it a sob story if you'd like, but I do not like being told that because I am younger I cannot appreciate the hard work put into the event. If the adults on this board feel that they've "earned" the right to see a museum of great stuff simply by being older (not that I'm accusing anyone of having that philosophy, mind you!), I think that's a bit of a flawed argument. I imagine other minors feel the exact same way.

As I've said, I will be submitting a complaint letter. Also, I completely understand the desire to not want the presentations to be put on Youtube - kills the exclusive vibe of it, I suppose, and verbal details can always be shared to those who couldn't attend for whatever reason.

I can only imagine the complaints now if/when we do have the "extreme house", which would also be age restricted.

this is why we cant have nice things....

I'm pretty positive "Alone" is not age-restricted, so I doubt a similar extreme house at HHN would bear an age restriction (other than a 13 restriction, given the event is rated PG-13). Alcohol is restricted by the state and country (therefore out of their control in the first place), and the reason for that is that it's harmful to those who do not necessary know how to use it (that said, many over the age of 21 don't know how to use it, either). Viewing a museum showcasing the many concepts, ideas, and relics of HHN history is not harmful to minors, and the age restriction is within Universal's control.

Edited by Fallow

actually the HHN "severe Fear" house would have been age restricted as you would have had to sign a waiver and its not a legal contract unless you are over 18. Yes that is FACT, and that was always the plan. they WANTED it age restricted. As we learned in the VIP lounge this past week.

also since you mention Howl o scream.... you notice their site says "must be 18 to enter site" this year?

Also ALone, while being an "upcharge house" that has the plus of you being in a small group... is NOTHING like the Extreme concept that UO had... you are basically just paying to go through a house by your self.. a much different experience to Severe Fear.

Edited by TheEyeOfHorus

actually the HHN "severe Fear" house would have been age restricted as you would have had to sign a waiver and its not a legal contract unless you are over 18. Yes that is FACT, and that was always the plan. they WANTED it age restricted. As we learned in the VIP lounge this past week.

also since you mention Howl o scream.... you notice their site says "must be 18 to enter site" this year?

Also ALone, while being an "upcharge house" that has the plus of you being in a small group... is NOTHING like the Extreme concept that UO had... you are basically just paying to go through a house by your self.. a much different experience to Severe Fear.

If Universal is really willing to forego money in order to maintain a "more mature environment" (which really is hogwash if you ask me - I've seen many an adult who acts far less mature than many minors), then I really do not understand their strategy. The difference between Severe Fear and this particular case couldn't be more significant... In Severe Fear, you'd have to sign a waiver, which cannot legally be done by a minor (much like out-of-Uni's control restrictions like the alcohol age limit). In this case, you're looking at items and art in a museum. While Howl-O-Scream's website may say 18+ (which I'd imagine is just a tactic to protect their rears from any upset parents at the somewhat graphic content found), the event is not age-restricted in any way. This arrogant attitude of the older folk having more of a right to HHN's rich history and content (with the exception of areas out of Universal's control) is frankly disappointing and disgusting. Universal is a business, not a sophisticated gentleman's club, and if they feel the need to needlessly push me out of the deeper parts of their event due to my age, then perhaps I will consider investing elsewhere.

Your posts and inability to be mature enough to realize that not everything is open to you and you are not entitled to anything... is exactly the reason why us 21 and ups were very happy when it was made adults only.

This is a decision they made to make it more intimate, mature and so they are able to talk and converse openly... its private property and a private company, they dont have to do anything just because people might feel left out. there are venues all over universal and all over the country that are 21 and up. When you are older you will be able to take advantage of them... till then accept that it is, in fact, a fact of life.

Life isnt fair... anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

Your posts and inability to be mature enough to realize that not everything is open to you and you are not entitled to anything... is exactly the reason why us 21 and ups were very happy when it was made adults only.

This is a decision they made to make it more intimate, mature and so they are able to talk and converse openly... its private property and a private company, they dont have to do anything just because people might feel left out. there are venues all over universal and all over the country that are 21 and up. When you are older you will be able to take advantage of them... till then accept that it is, in fact, a fact of life.

Life isnt fair... anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

I hardly believe you're one to question my maturity, thank you very much. Note I said that I find the mentality that those older have more of a right to HHN history than younger fans is disappointing, not that I find it inherently wrong - naturally Universal is a private company and can decide to do whatever it wants. They could decide tomorrow that only those 21 years of age or older could attend the event from here on out - and while I'd be very upset and disappointed at that decision (as would many, many others) and would likely formally complain, I would not debate their actual right to do it. That said, if this is the mentality they have chosen (for "maintaining a more intimate atmosphere", or whatever...), then I am as I have said very disappointed, as are many others, clearly. If they would like to not accept my money, my enthusiasm, and my support for the event, then so be it, but that does not change the fact that I am upset with the decision. In my opinion, turning away younger fans from the deeper aspects of the event due to the simple fact that Universal has decided they're "not mature enough" is awfully short-sighted, even insulting. Surely, you being a self-professed mature individual, could understand and accept that.

And, for the record, even if I were a 21+ year old, I would support minors being allowed into the Lounge. If anything, Universal needs to clearly state on park maps and on the website that the VIP Lounge is for those 21+ (if they haven't already) to prevent further disappointment upon HHN fans.

Edited by Fallow

I hardly believe you're one to question my maturity, thank you very much. Note I said that I find the mentality that those older have more of a right to HHN history than younger fans is disappointing, not that I find it inherently wrong - naturally Universal is a private company and can decide to do whatever it wants. They could decide tomorrow that only those 21 years of age or older could attend the event from here on out - and while I'd be very upset and disappointed at that decision (as would many, many others) and would likely formally complain, I would not debate their actual right to do it. That said, if this is the mentality they have chosen (for "maintaining a more intimate atmosphere", or whatever...), then I am as I have said very disappointed, as are many others, clearly. If they would like to not accept my money, my enthusiasm, and my support for the event, then so be it, but that does not change the fact that I am upset with the decision. In my opinion, turning away younger fans from the deeper aspects of the event due to the simple fact that Universal has decided they're "not mature enough" is awfully short-sighted, even insulting. Surely, you being a self-professed mature individual, could understand and accept that.

And, for the record, even if I were a 21+ year old, I would support minors being allowed into the Lounge. If anything, Universal needs to clearly state on park maps and on the website that the VIP Lounge is for those 21+ (if they haven't already) to prevent further disappointment upon HHN fans.

Well lets see, I'm an adult, who works, pays taxes, pays for my own tickets and has earned every right to do as I wish. I find it hilarious that you wish to question my maturity... but i'm not going to devolve this conversation into childish insults.

Even if YOU are mature enough or feel you are.. many are not.. and the postings on the boards and the FB pages etc prove those facts rather well, as well as previous experiences they have with similar events. They want to be able to not have to watch what they say, and not have to worry about upset parents, as well as not have to worry about other secondary effects of having minors in there. Not to mention.. the place is REALLY small... with the maybe 30 people in there last Thursday it was rather packed, so by its very nature they would be limited on the amount of space they can provide... and an easy way to limit that space is by instituting an age limit.

Its not a personal attack on you due to your age... but your age is a limiting factor on many things in life... I cant get the senior citizens discount (yet)...

Guess what... I was once a teenager too... and yeah, it was disappointing when I couldn't get into a venue that was 21 and up... but I understood they had reasons and respected it. As I got older and had to on a few occasions decide if an event i was promoting was going to be 18+, 21+ or all ages... upon realizing the reality of the situation... I almost always chose 21 and up. "Why?" do you ask? because you hold all ages and many adults avoid it because they dont want to feel like they are in a "day care", and choosing 18 and up was a tough middle ground and required a lot of extra attention as well as having bodies on the floor that will spend less money overall and take up space that could be filled with people buying more expensive drinks. Not to mention the income levels of the groups.

As hard as it is to hear... 12-20 is not an important demographic to cater to. Overall you have less disposable income as you either are spending what your parents gave you, or have a min wage job, or somewhere in between. (yes there are exceptions in both directions). the 21-35 (and the 36-55 for that matter) demo has more disposable income, better jobs, likely a real career and spend more overall, that is the audience everyone chooses to cater to. Not to even mention that overall as pointed out by the FTC in 2003, the total young adult population (ages 21-34) is about 50% larger than the

underage youth population (ages 12-20). The VIP lounge is in a way a test for a new experience or so, and the feedback they receive from that demographic is far more important. It helps them see what experiences adults are willing to spend money on in the future. Once again, if you have a small place with limited space... you will limit it as best you can to your target demographic.

So, from a business perspective... Its easy to support a 21+ area. Is it disappointing to you? yes, certainly... its always disappointing when you would like to do something but cant. But to be realistic... while universal will gladly take your money, your money is not as important to them as my money, michelle's money, Mz_'s money, etc... Is it "short sighted".. possibly... but not likely, cause I know for a fact the first thing I did when I was 21 was all those things, and go to all those places I couldn't when I was younger. In a way, its a rite of passage in our society.

Also, you do have chances to see the past... its called the 20 years of fear street and Hallowed Past. also you could do the UTH tour with the 20 years tag... hell on all the UTH tours you can go into the VIP lounge, its where they begin.

and here... have a video of the exhibit.

Edited by TheEyeOfHorus

If the adults on this board feel that they've "earned" the right to see a museum of great stuff simply by being older (not that I'm accusing anyone of having that philosophy, mind you!), I think that's a bit of a flawed argument.

I think this is your own fallacy. What you're failing to realize is that this upcharge attraction is a privilege, not a right. No one earned it and no one has an inherent right to see it, even after they've paid their $9.99, regardless of age. Universal, being private property, has the sole right to decide who this privilege is given to. They're doing this on their own terms, because they can. You have to respect that. And as I said before, they likely have a logical reason for these terms, even if you disagree with them. You have the right to disagree. However, you're not being wronged in any way, which is why your formal complaint will be rendered moot. Sometimes you just have to accept the way things work, even if you perceive it as being unfair. Having the maturity to do this is part of being an adult.

Its not a personal attack on you due to your age... but your age is a limiting factor on many things in life... I cant get the senior citizens discount (yet)...

Don't worry, you're getting there.

Edited by Nightshade

Well lets see, I'm an adult, who works, pays taxes, pays for my own tickets and has earned every right to do as I wish. I find it hilarious that you wish to question my maturity... but i'm not going to devolve this conversation into childish insults.

Even if YOU are mature enough or feel you are.. many are not.. and the postings on the boards and the FB pages etc prove those facts rather well, as well as previous experiences they have with similar events. They want to be able to not have to watch what they say, and not have to worry about upset parents, as well as not have to worry about other secondary effects of having minors in there. Not to mention.. the place is REALLY small... with the maybe 30 people in there last Thursday it was rather packed, so by its very nature they would be limited on the amount of space they can provide... and an easy way to limit that space is by instituting an age limit.

Guess what... I was once a teenager too... and yeah, it was disappointing when I couldn't get into a venue that was 21 and up... but I understood they had reasons and respected it. As I got older and had to on a few occasions decide if an event i was promoting was going to be 18+, 21+ or all ages... upon realizing the reality of the situation... I almost always chose 21 and up. "Why?" do you ask? because you hold all ages and many adults avoid it because they dont want to feel like they are in a "day care", and choosing 18 and up was a tough middle ground and required a lot of extra attention as well as having bodies on the floor that will spend less money overall and take up space that could be filled with people buying more expensive drinks. Not to mention the income levels of the groups.

As hard as it is to hear... 12-20 is not an important demographic to cater to. Overall you have less disposable income as you either are spending what your parents gave you, or have a min wage job, or somewhere in between. (yes there are exceptions in both directions). the 21-35 (and the 36-55 for that matter) demo has more disposable income, better jobs, likely a real career and spend more overall, that is the audience everyone chooses to cater to. Not to even mention that overall as pointed out by the FTC in 2003, the total young adult population (ages 21-34) is about 50% larger than the

underage youth population (ages 12-20). The VIP lounge is in a way a test for a new experience or so, and the feedback they receive from that demographic is far more important. It helps them see what experiences adults are willing to spend money on in the future. Once again, if you have a small place with limited space... you will limit it as best you can to your target demographic.

So, from a business perspective... Its easy to support a 21+ area. Is it disappointing to you? yes, certainly... its always disappointing when you would like to do something but cant. But to be realistic... while universal will gladly take your money, your money is not as important to them as my money, michelle's money, Mz_'s money, etc... Is it "short sighted".. possibly... but not likely, cause I know for a fact the first thing I did when I was 21 was all those things, and go to all those places I couldn't when I was younger. In a way, its a rite of passage in our society.

Also, you do have chances to see the past... its called the 20 years of fear street and Hallowed Past. also you could do the UTH tour with the 20 years tag... hell on all the UTH tours you can go into the VIP lounge, its where they begin.

and here... have a video of the exhibit.

Now HERE is an argument I can understand. I wish you had brought up the alcohol variable sooner (which I'll admit I did not think of in that regard), as I think I would've seen what you're getting at far easier. Your (and presumably their) argument to keep it 21+ is to have the maximum amount of people in a limited space having the ability to purchase expensive drinks - this brings in the variable I mentioned earlier as a factor out of Universal's control, and thus (to me) makes far more sense. I'd be willing to bet if the legal drinking age was, say, 18, the VIP Lounge's restriction would've rested there. Universal must have some sort of information to lead them to conclude otherwise, but I would would think that the museum is not prone to crowding problems on any particular night, and wouldn't be even if the age limit were to be theoretically removed. That said, the presentations (which is I think what you were mainly hinting at) are going to have a far greater demand on any given night they are available, and suddenly space becomes far more valuable. THEN (from what I can see) it makes more sense to restrict age, simply to have the maximum amount of profit potential by those who can purchase alcohol.

My suggestion, then (not to anyone in particular, mind you) is that the age limit restriction only be put into place on Thursdays, the night of presentations - that's when space is truly a factor (unless I'm completely off in assuming the museum isn't choked on non-presentation-nights) and where having 21+ers only makes sense, profit-wise. Have Fridays, Saturdays, & Sundays open to anyone else (while still offering alcohol, of course). This would, I believe, please everyone and hopefully maintain the crowd to those who truly want to take in the art, as well as providing space to the maximum to alcohol-purchasers when it's more necessary. I don't expect them to make this change this year (or any subsequent year they chose to compose such an exhibit), but from my non-knowing-perspective it seems like it'd be the best scenario.

What I didn't like about some of your original posts, Horus (and I may have merely misinterpreted them) was the insituation that Universal restricted the Lounge purely by means of assuming we aren't mature enough (which honestly feels extremely condescending). When you introduce the space + potential profit variables, their decision makes more sense (even if it is, as you've said, disappointing to my demographic). Hopefully in the future they'll consider the younger crowds and offer opportunities for them to see the art & design as well, as I suggested above (much how many clubs have a designated "teen night" each week, yes?)

No hard feelings, Horus, and thank you for presenting your argument in a respectful manner. I haven't submitted any formal complaint, yet, so I'll likely send something more akin to the suggestion I outlined. In addition, thank you for the video & images - while it isn't quite the same as actually being there (you can see the Mona Lisa in a thousand images but it's never quite the same as actually being there in the Louvre [not that I'm comparing HHN concept art to the Mona Lisa, but...]). I'd love to take the UTH tour at some point, but given that I'm presently 17 I also do not have the ability to take that without an adult - and on this particular year I have been unable to find a slightly older friend willing to accompany me at the price of the tour (not to mention I spent $225 [of my own EARNED & SAVED money, mind you] on my FFPPE, so it's harder to justify spending more).

Finally, let me just reiterate that I respect Universal's right to make such decisions - I simply disagree with them (though in this case, Horus's argument involving the alcohol made me reconsider my own argument).

EDIT: Few other quick notes I missed. While I'm loving FEAR Revealed & Twenty Years of Fear zones (even though the latter has a massive focus on 18 and 19), the Lounge offers more of a backstage look with the concept art and relics pulled out from the warehouses (many of which I sadly never got to see). Secondly, I still firmly beieve that they need to note on the website AND the park maps that the VIP Lounge is for 21+ers only to prevent any other disappointments.

Edited by Fallow

Friday Oct 1st Review:

OK, so the VIP lounge is open EVERY night, but the Thursday ones are the only one where there's a speaker talking about the weekly topic. We went Friday since Thursday was our first night there and wanted to get every house done. Also, the 8pm and 10pm times are for the speakers I assume, but you get a VIP wrist band and can come and go as you please from 8-11pm so you aren't slaved to those times on non-speaker days.

My group of 7 went in around 10:30 Friday night and it was semi-crowded. Wandered around taking pictures (see above post) and had a couple drinks brought to us by the cocktail waitress. Nice service, but nothing special. While we're in there, all the past Icons were coming and going. I'd imagine the building is where they come and swap out for their shiftchanges, but that's just a guess.

So around 10:45ish, everybody had cleared out by my group and 2 other people. And a guy came up to us to see how we liked the event and stuff. Now, I live in upstate NY so I only come down for a couple nights and don't follow everything, but when his name badge said TJ, I knew who he was. He hung out with my group and told us a ton of stories for at least an hour.

Thursday's topic was the Extreme Houses and he gave us quite a discussion about them...some highlights:

• The one was to require a waiver that they were not responsible for any physical or mental injuries that may occur.
  • Scaractors were allowed to touch you.
  • You were given a safe phrase like "fluffy bunny feet" (or something about that funny) to be pulled out of the house.
  • Each house at HHN has about 25 scaractors in it at a time, this house would have had the same.
  • Approximately 6 people would go into the house at once. But I don't think you ever "teamed up"...I think you just all went into the church together.
  • You'd be brought into a church and sat down at a pew, then a couple scaractors would come and place a robe on you with a big hood that would hang over your eyes so you couldn't see anything.
  • You'd be "escorted" and laid down flat on a "table" in the pitch dark. Then you'd be told to open your eyes and you'd be in a coffin that they "folded up" around you.
  • Depending on how much you freak out, they'd hit a switch right away or after a while and then the bottom of the casket would open and you'd fall on the ground and immediately be chased and "funneled" to where they wanted you to go.
  • There'd be lots of running and come climbing...it would be a physical house. Not a passive walk through, but a very physically active participation house.

There's a lot more, but that's a good idea of how it would go.

Then after a while, it was just me and two friends left talking to him (the other 4 guys in our group kinda got bored I guess) and he asked us what our favorite house was (Hades, BY FAR) and said, "let's go do it...is that OK?" and we said our one friend hadn't done PsychoScarapy yet so he took us to that house, took us in the backway and showed us some stuff, had security stop the line and we went through the house by ourselves (all 7 of us, picked up our other 4 friends waiting outside). I think he was trying to get rid of us, and it worked, as that was the last we saw of him :-)

Still, it was an amazing time for me and my one friend who are really into it...and one of the two "virgins" in our group who wanted to learn all he could. Best $10 we spent at the event and meeting TJ was cool, but the best part was we had no idea who he was so it wasn't like we were yelling his name and following him around so he sought us out and volunteered all this information and you can tell how much he LOVES his job and how much he wants everybody who comes to have a great experience.

Unfortunately, 99.9% of those who attend won't have this experience, but it made a great event nearly PERFECT and figured I'd share some of the details.

Oysterhead00, that is amazing story and I'm super jealous!

Also, seems as if all our complaining paid off:

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/vip_lounge.html

It now says open for ALL AGES

After having been denied access at the entrance to the Extreme Houses exhibit, I'm grateful they're changing their minds, and letting the rest of us in!

I completely agree with some of the reasons you 21+ people have about the age limit, like not having a bunch of underage annoying HHN kids that are there to just ruin it, but I can assure you, as an 18 year old, I'm not one of them, and just want to also be able to admire the amazing work and talent put into this event. I can't wait!

Oysterhead00, that is amazing story and I'm super jealous!

Also, seems as if all our complaining paid off:

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/vip_lounge.html

It now says open for ALL AGES

After having been denied access at the entrance to the Extreme Houses exhibit, I'm grateful they're changing their minds, and letting the rest of us in!

I completely agree with some of the reasons you 21+ people have about the age limit, like not having a bunch of underage annoying HHN kids that are there to just ruin it, but I can assure you, as an 18 year old, I'm not one of them, and just want to also be able to admire the amazing work and talent put into this event. I can't wait!

Well, I'm glad for all the under 21 people who wanted to see the exhibit. I think that their initial reasoning for the 21+ requirement (which I had no idea about as we didn't get carded or anything...though we're all 33 and up) was the promised "VIP Waitress Drink Service" or whatever it was. It's a cocktail waitress with a tray coming around and I can see where having to ID everybody would be difficult. I don't think it was meant to exclude younger people, but to make that a non issue. Also, it's a bunch of "history" that has DO NOT TOUCH all over it and stuff like that and we saw kids as young as about 5 there. I think that might be a consideration as well and if you said 18 and up or 16 and up, there would be people mad and it's hard to justify an arbitrary age. Making it 21+ because of alcoholic beverages being served is a totally logical cut off point.

I can see their reasoning...but then again, I'm 36 so it doesn't affect me.