HHN Collections

• 1 month later...

I've been watching eBay for a long time, but I thought I'd put my feelers out here too. I'm in search of a 2010 Staff t-shirt in the SMALL size. Doesn't matter if it's been worn or not, all I ask is that it's in good condition. PM me if you've got one and wanna work out a deal :)

The media gift i'm searching for is from 2001 Eddie's chainsaw. Can anyone help me out?

I have one - actually in the original box - with the very rare full media kit. Not for sale, but the chainsaw comes up on Ebay about every other year. The real deal has an actual beaded chain on it. Make sure the one you buy has the chain and that it works.

On 7/7/2012 at 0:31 PM, Thomashhn said:

That is awesome Boogeyman! When did they start doing the media gifts?

There are "media kits" and "media gifts". The kits were a folder that contained official press releases. These were usually few sheets Universal letterhead stapled together that explained what the event was about. These were sent to press at the time - TV, radio, news. They also included glossy 8x11 photos. The folder was always themed with that year's logo. They've been doing the media kits pretty much forever. The earliest one I have is from 1994.

Media gifts were first started in 1997, as far as I know. These were handmade props sent to the press, with the intent of enticing when to come to a media day. It was purely personalized publicity. In the beginning, these accompanied the media kits.

Nowadays, when bloggers can reach more eyes than radio and newspapers, the "media kit" is mostly a relic of the past. In fact, the 2004 media kit was the first year they included a CD. Today, the media gifts have become very stylized and often contain the press releases in an electronic form (i.e. the thumb drive buried in the brain of the 2012 media gift.

Media gifts:

1997 (got it) - prosthetic eyeball on a pedestal. This is an honest to god prosthetic. The pedestal has a tag attached advertising the event.

1998 (need it) - 3-D wall hanging of the "primal scream" image used as that year's logo. This wall hanging is very solid and heavy. The image was very generic, though, and a cheap lightweight version is readily available at most Halloween shops.

1999 (need it) - I honestly have no idea what the media gift was this year. I have heard rumors it was based on mummy parts.

2000 (got it) - Jack in the box. It was a real, working musical box with J-A-C-K letters on the side. When you cranked it, the clown that pops out was shredded - clearly mangled by Jack.

2001 (got it) - Chainsaw. This toy chainsaw was bloodied up and delivered in a "crate" with straw in it. The chainsaw has a beaded metal chain that spins. There is also a chainsaw sound effect.

2002 (got it) - A real pocketwatch with chain. The thing is sizable (about 2" around). Pocketwatches are a clamshell. When opened, it reveals the watch and a picture of the Caretaker.

2003 (need it) - Film canister. Large (about 12" in diameter) film canister that contains pictures and trophies the Director collected.

2004 (got it) - Straitjacket. A fabric straitjacket. Although it is made from cheap materials and would never actually be able to restrain anyone, it is my favorite media gift, because each one was custom made. Each has the name of the "inmate" on it, and was personalized to the media agent it was being mailed to. If you were Jeff Jones and reported for the Orlando Sentinal, your straightjacket would have "J. J." stenciled on it, along with an inmate number.

2005 (got it) - Bloody eyeglasses and plate of cookies. The eyeglasses belonged to the Storyteller, icon from that year. Unfortunately, I don't have the cookies.

2006 (got it) - Snowglobe. For Sweet 16, the gift was a life-size plaster-cast hand holding a real snowglobe. The hand was missing a finger - which is floating in the globe. Red sparkly "snow" completed the picture. These were the ONLY media gift that was actually sold at the event for only a couple of nights.

2007 (need it) - Savaged teddy bear. This was a teddy that was shredded by Freddy and his friends.

2008 (got it) - Music Box. The music box owned by Mary Agana, who became the icon Bloody Mary. This was the first year Universal used smell as part of the gift. When you open the box, a heavy smell of rose perfume wafts out. Inside is a dried black rose, along with pictures.

2009 (got it) - Popcorn box. A popcorn box containing bloodied popcorn, with a real dictation recorder buried inside.

2010 (got it) - Branding Iron. A beautiful wooden box containing Fear's branding iron. This thing was hefty.

2011 (got it) - Chopped hand holding playing card. Reminiscent of the snowglobe hand, this one is latex and feels real. The severed hand is grasping a few strands of Lady Luck's red hair, along with two cards A-8 (the Dead Man's Hand).

2012 (got it) - Skull. Another heavily-scented gift, the skull has "skin" on it as well as hair. What is not evident is that you need do an autopsy on the skull in order to get to a thumb drive embedded int he folds of the "brain" inside. One needs to cut the skin and peel it back to expose the skull, which can then be opened to reveal the brain.

2013 (got it) - Severed head, with zipdrive stick in the eyeball

2014 (need it) - Not sure if they had an official media gift...

2015 (need it) - Severed arm from Jack, holding phone

2016 (need it) -- Not sure if they had an official media gify...

Edited by zombieman
  • Like 1

There are "media kits" and "media gifts". The kits were a folder that contained official press releases. These were usually few sheets Universal letterhead stapled together that explained what the event was about. These were sent to press at the time - TV, radio, news. They also included glossy 8x11 photos. The folder was always themed with that year's logo. They've been doing the media kits pretty much forever. The earliest one I have is from 1994.

Media gifts were first started in 1997, as far as I know. These were handmade props sent to the press, with the intent of enticing when to come to a media day. It was purely personalized publicity. In the beginning, these accompanied the media kits.

Nowadays, when bloggers can reach more eyes than radio and newspapers, the "media kit" is mostly a relic of the past. In fact, the 2004 media kit was the first year they included a CD. Today, the media gifts have become very stylized and often contain the press releases in an electronic form (i.e. the thumb drive buried in the brain of the 2012 media gift.

Media gifts:

1997 (got it) - prosthetic eyeball on a pedestal. This is an honest to god prosthetic. The pedestal has a tag attached advertising the event.

1998 (need it) - 3-D wall hanging of the "primal scream" image used as that year's logo. This wall hanging is very solid and heavy. The image was very generic, though, and a cheap lightweight version is readily available at most Halloween shops.

1999 (need it) - I honestly have no idea what the media gift was this year. I have heard rumors it was based on mummy parts.

2000 (got it) - Jack in the box. It was a real, working musical box with J-A-C-K letters on the side. When you cranked it, the clown that pops out was shredded - clearly mangled by Jack.

2001 (got it) - Chainsaw. This toy chainsaw was bloodied up and delivered in a "crate" with straw in it. The chainsaw has a beaded metal chain that spins. There is also a chainsaw sound effect.

2002 (got it) - A real pocketwatch with chain. The thing is sizable (about 2" around). Pocketwatches are a clamshell. When opened, it reveals the watch and a picture of the Caretaker.

2003 (need it) - Film canister. Large (about 12" in diameter) film canister that contains pictures and trophies the Director collected.

2004 (got it) - Straitjacket. A fabric straitjacket. Although it is made from cheap materials and would never actually be able to restrain anyone, it is my favorite media gift, because each one was custom made. Each has the name of the "inmate" on it, and was personalized to the media agent it was being mailed to. If you were Jeff Jones and reported for the Orlando Sentinal, your straightjacket would have "J. J." stenciled on it, along with an inmate number.

2005 (got it) - Bloody eyeglasses and plate of cookies. The eyeglasses belonged to the Storyteller, icon from that year. Unfortunately, I don't have the cookies.

2006 (got it) - Snowglobe. For Sweet 16, the gift was a life-size plaster-cast hand holding a real snowglobe. The hand was missing a finger - which is floating in the globe. Red sparkly "snow" completed the picture. These were the ONLY media gift that was actually sold at the event for only a couple of nights.

2007 (need it) - Savaged teddy bear. This was a teddy that was shredded by Freddy and his friends.

2008 (got it) - Music Box. The music box owned by Mary Agana, who became the icon Bloody Mary. This was the first year Universal used smell as part of the gift. When you open the box, a heavy smell of rose perfume wafts out. Inside is a dried black rose, along with pictures.

2009 (need it) - Popcorn box. A popcorn box containing bloodied popcorn, with a real dictation recorder buried inside.

2010 (got it) - Branding Iron. A beautiful wooden box containing Fear's branding iron. This thing was hefty.

2011 (got it) - Chopped hand holding playing card. Reminiscent of the snowglobe hand, this one is latex and feels real. The severed hand is grasping a few strands of Lady Luck's red hair, along with two cards A-8 (the Dead Man's Hand).

2012 (got it) - Skull. Another heavily-scented gift, the skull has "skin" on it as well as hair. What is not evident is that you need do an autopsy on the skull in order to get to a thumb drive embedded int he folds of the "brain" inside. One needs to cut the skin and peel it back to expose the skull, which can then be opened to reveal the brain.

I have managed to get my hands on the pocket watch and had no idea that was a media gift.

I am also surprised that you haven't gotten the popcorn box, I have seen quite a few of them pop up here and there.

A very impressive collection though

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it was weird, I got a bunch of older staff shirts for like $8 and that one was bumped up to $40

Just my luck as well one finally comes up in my size (there is also a 20 and 22 shirt from the same seller that I would buy) but the price is really high :/ hopefully no one buys it and it keeps coming down in price haha :)

Ok if any of you sold a deck of HHN21 cards on ebay and shipped it to IL, THANKS!

My wife got them for me for my bday (March 11th) but couldnt wait to give them to me. We never ever saw a deck for sale at the event, so she surprised me!

Edited by PeoriaBJJ

I FINALLY completed my cloisonne collection - at least one coin from every year, from 1996-2012!!

I still have a couple of oddball necklace/keychain cloisonne. I have no idea which years included those versions....

I know in 2001 they made a keychain version, and in 2005/2006/2007 they did necklace versions.

Of all the cloisonne, my favorite is 2009. It is shaped like a movie ticket, which already makes it uniquely shaped. But here's the kicker - believe it or not, Universal actually misspelled the word "Halloween"...

They call the event "HALLOWEFN HORROR NIGHTS".

BY FAR, the most rate Cloisonne is 1996.  Very first year they ever made them and there were a precious few made.  Even until two years ago, I though 1997 (Eyegore) was the first year for cloisonne.  1996 cloisonne was quite large, thick, and round.  Good luck finding one.  In the 13 years I've been collection HHN memorabilia, I have seen exactly one - and I own it.

Edited by zombieman
  • Like 4

There were coins from 2012?

Yes, there was a cloisonne. It was round and slightly larger and thicker than previous round coins.

Then though "AMC Presents the Walking Dead" was supposed to be our "theme" (yeah, right...), the cloisonne has the catchphrase "Once you're inside, there is no way out" on one side, and the plain statement "Universal's Halloween Horror Nights 2012" on the other.

Sadly, it's one of the most non-descript cloisonne of them all, with nothing but the year to serve as a reminder of what happened that year.

If they had just written "The year with no Scarezones", people would instantly know which year it was referring to...

But I digress.

sadly got rid of all my pins, most of my shirts and posters and such. No more room and I and it is losing interest as time goes by. I have a number of things I am going to get rid of soon as I am moving more then likely will give away rather then move it when I move will keep you all updated. The only thing I am keeping I think is my 2000 and 2001 shirts. Most of what I have now is coins from wehn they did the parades some shot glasses and stuff from hhn 13 i think have to look it is all boxed up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...