HHN29 Review

DM1996

Here's my honest review for Halloween Horror Nights 29. First off I have made a total of 14 trips to this year's event all the way from the beginning all the way to the last night. I have also read a few other reviews of this year's event and most of them are pretty similar in ranking, which never quite happens in the HHN fan community.

Houses:

1) - Universal Monsters.

This house was my overall favorite. Every time my friends and I walked through, we got every single scare. I may sound a bit biased, because I love Universal Classic Monsters, so I already ranked this house as my top favorite. But, every time I went into the house, I couldn't find a single thing to hate. The Wolfman, Dracula, Dracula's Brides, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Frankenstein's Bride gave me most of the scares. 

2) - Graveyard Games.

This house was another of my top ranked simply for the fact that it reminded me of old Halloween haunts featuring a graveyard as the general location. I loved how the scare audio ques were really loud and the scare actors never held back to frighten anyone. The dark/ soundless room at the end scared me to death the first night because it was pitch black and you didn't know what was going to happen. My only problem with the house was just the constant stopping and hold ups within the house itself. Other than that, really great house.

3) - Yeti: Terror of the Yukon.

Didn't know what to expect from this house, but boy oh boy did it deliver. In the beginning of the event, the house seemed a bit all over the place with scare actors standing in plain sight. But as the event moved on, the people in the house evolved. Every walkthrough I got different scares than the previous visit. Those yeti's at the end always got me and the people with the guns. Basically, it grew on me and was considered a bottom ranked house in the very beginning. 

4) - US.

When Universal announced US as a house, I was disappointed. My friends and I gave this house such crap that we considered not going in it at all. We quickly ate our words. This house really was truly identical to the movie and the scares were there. The boy with the white mask, the father, and the twin daughters always got us. The last room with all the duplicates freaked us out every time. The only problems with this house was that in the middle of the event, it seemed like they cut back on a few actors and the house seemed brighter than normal. Also towards the end of the event, we went into the house while cast changed took place. Overall, good house.

5) - Nightingales: Blood Pit.

This house made me smile so much because I remember the first Nightingales house from HHN 21. At the beginning of the event, I found this house to be extremely terrifying. The actors really brought their A game and made everyone scream. For me the best part of the whole house was the awful smell, which a Unmasking The Horror Tour guide confirmed its a mix aroma of dirt, sweat and blood. For the first time, a scent in a Horror Nights house made me gag. However, I've noticed that as the event went on, they really cut back on the smell and the scare actors. I've noticed the missing scare actors because there where a lot of empty rooms where the actors would normally be.

6) - Depths pf Fear.

At first this house didn't scare me. Then one night with 30min left till HHN closed, a friend of mine and myself went inside and it was a completely different experience. We got all the scares and it gave a new perception of the house. It disappointed me to hear that the large fish monsters had to be cut back due the injuries they would inflict on the scare actors, and it disappointed me to hear a rumor that Universal would change the house due to the dead dog. But overall, the scares to me are hit or miss and the only scary things in the house were the arm reaching down on you and the mutating sea crew.

7) - House of 1000 Corpses.

This house was one of my original top 3, but I got tired over it quickly. The scares to me, are extremely hit or miss and every time I walked through the house it was during a cast change. It was pretty good in the beginning of the event, but as time went on, it got worse. The scare actors seemed like they didn't want to be in the house anymore and it showed in their performances. The only scare actors who tried to keep the character alive was Capt. Spalding, Otis, and Baby Firefly.

8) - Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

Last year at HHN 27, when Killer Klowns was a scare zone, I didn't like it. So when it was announced as a house, I didn't love it or hate it. During the beginning of the event, it was really good. Now this house is not at all scary, more of like a comedy house. I miss the comedy houses and I'm glad they brought it back this year. But once again as the event got closer to the end, a few actors and special effects went missing. Towards the end, I didn't care if I went through it or not.

9) - Ghostbusters.

One of my original top 3. Anyone who enjoys this house are the people who have grown up watching Ghostbusters or have seen it as a child. I am a fan of this movie and I loved walking through the house, didn't really care if the house was scary or not. I really liked how they tried to incorporate scares with the ghosts and it worked. But sadly, a few effects broke or where turned off. The hologram of Slimer would be on or off. The face popping out of the door was turned off the last few nights, and the one ghost puppets must have broke off its support beam because you can see it lying on the floor. I know that effects eventually will malfunction and given that HHN is only a temporary event, there's no need to really fix the effects. Also the one thing I hated was the fact that the scare actors pretty much gave up near the ending of the event, except for the actresses who played Janine Melnitz. 

10) - Stranger Things.

This house was not my favorite. I didn't like it at all. The only props I give to the house are the actors. But the house overall was nothing special. Unless you love Stranger Things, then this house was awesome. I hated how the house only featured season 2 and very little of season 3. I just don't like Stranger Things as a house in general because its not scary at all, instead its just a typical walkthrough attraction. I can give this house a thumbs up for the length of it, considering last year's ST house was short. In overall, its a thumbs down for me.

Scare Zones:

1) - Rob Zombie HellBilly Deluxe: Really felt like I was at a Rob Zombie concert and I had a few scares in here too.

2) - Vikings Undead: Really loved the props and costumes. Scares are hit or miss, butthe female Vikings always came after me. 

3) - Zombieland Double Tap: Not a huge fane of the move, but it ha d a few scares. But saw a few scare actors break character to talk to people they knew.

4) - Vanity Ball: The only scary thing here was the nurses and patients. Don't believe that men in heels and dresses/ cloaks are scary. Sorry, trying not to hate, but not my thing. 

5) - Anarch-Cade: DUMB. Glowing neon lights aren't scary. Appreciated the chainsaws though.