HHN 29 Review

HHN Pro 2

Welp, in a long yet very fast two months, HHN 29 has begun and ended. Which means it's time for the HHN 30 speculation to begin!... Oh yeah, and a final review.

Houses

The houses this year were great. You could tell this is where most of the money went. And can I just say, the SETS! Holy crap, the sets this year were amazing! And all of the houses, except for two, were great. Let's get to the rankings.

#1 - House of 1000 Corpses (MIB Tent) - FINALLY, A GOOD HOUSE IN THIS TENT! This house is perfect. More than perfect. It's fun, it's comedic, it's disturbing, and it's scary. Especially when the cast start to recognize you. Ima miss this house a whole lot.

#2 - Nightingales: Blood Pit (Sprung Tent 1) - This house is a perfect example of how much scareactors can change a house. At the beginning, this was at the very bottom of my list, and close to being worst of all time. But as the event went on, the scareactors changed EVERYTHING. It became chaotic, intense, and terrifying. Absolutely incredible house.

#3 - Graveyard Games (Parade Building) - At the beginning, I was disappointed. I thought it was just an alright house, and didn't remember much after. Then a few nights later, I went back in, and it left me shaking. This house not only has a great story, but astonishing scares. Also it's incredibly long, this thing goes on forever! Another great house.

#4 - Depths of Fear (Sprung Tent 2) - It was either this or Yeti at #4, and Depths won. At the beginning, this was my #1 house. I absolutely adored it... Then they took out all the Mouthbrooders, and this house went down to #9. I know I'm in the minority with this, but I really liked the look of the Mouthbrooders. I found them to be pretty creepy. But as the nights went on, it seemed they added some of the Mouthbrooders back in, which got the house up and going again. And they added the Baby Mouthbrooders, which got me every single run. And on Halloween, my final night, the scareactors in here were ruthless. In the end, a solid house... Now, about that Freddy Krueger head...

#5 - Yeti: Terror of the Yukon (Soundstage 24B) - When I first went through this, I absolutely loved it. It was my #1 until I went through Depths of Fear. It stayed strong for quite some time... Before eventually, I just started getting bad run after bad run, missing all the kills and scares, knocking it down to #5. Still loved this house, just not as strong. Ima miss that A/C though.

#6 - Stranger Things (Soundstage 25) - A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. I absolutely HATED last year's house, and was dreading this years... And man was I surprised. This is a fun and scary house. And that Mind Flayer at the end, beautiful! It's biggest weaknesses are the tunnels that go on forever, and the house is a little too long. Other than that, a pleasant surprise.

#7 - Universal Monsters (New Parade Building) - I thought this one was just alright. It has good sets and good scares, but there's one major problem... The Classic Monsters really aren't scary, not for me at least. I don't find them frightening in the slightest. Still a good house.

#8 - Killer Klownz from Outer Space (Shrek 4D Theater 2) - Should've been a 3D house. Goofy, colorful, and fun. This years "beginner" house.

#9 - Ghostbusters (Soundstage 22) - I will never understand the love for this house. The film is amazing, the house was awful. No good scares, the Pepper's Ghost effects never worked, and a few black hallways borrowed from Hollywood. Bleh.

#10 - Us (Soundstage 24A) - Absolutely awful. No scares, instead the scareactors just stare at you. Bland sets (although, I'll let them off a little considering this was last-minute), and really short. 

Scare Zones

As many have already said, the scare zones this year were mostly weak. Only two really good ones for me, let's take a look.

#1 - Vanity Ball (Hollywood) - SUCH A FUN ZONE! The music, the make-up, the costumes, the story, the interactivity, I LOVED IT! This might be my favorite zone of all time.

#2 - Rob Zombie: Hellbilly Deluxe (San Francisco) - Another fun zone. Surprised the dancers stayed the whole time. Also, who can forget the robot? Great zone.

#3 - Zombieland: Double Tap (New York) - Eh... Just your typical zombie zone. Kill of the Week was cool I guess.

#4 - Anarch-cade (Production Central) - If it weren't for the costumes, this would be #5.

#5 - Vikings: Undead (Central Park) - I was hoping for a loud, fun, and chaotic viking area where they would be going crazy and shouting out to guests like they were part of their clan. Nope, instead we just got more boring zombies that were dressed as vikings. 

Shows

We got good shows again, yay!

Academy of Villains: Altered States (5/5) - Amazing! Great story, fun characters, and it felt like HHN. My favorite AoV so far. They definitely learned their lesson from last year's disaster. Hopefully it stays like this for next year.

Halloween: Marathon of Mayhem (3/5) - It was cool, but it felt underwhelming. 

Overall

Overall, this was a pretty good year. It's very close, but I'd say HHN 28 is still my favorite year, with this year having a VERY close 2nd place. And with that, until HHN 30!

On 11/2/2019 at 2:01 AM, Luigi18512 said:

Where is the Freddy head in Depths of Fear?

After walking down the first long tunnel, you enter the room with the body hanging on the ladder and walk around him. There were some bodies up on a catwalk above you, and Freddy's body was one of them.

• Thanks 1