Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation

Mark M.

Had already canceled my plans to go so most of my disappointment is for those that were still hoping. You have my empathy. Would still love to see what was planned for this year.  Odds are by next year somethings will change.  Not sure how the licensing will work and if they will still get to use all or any IPs they originally had.  Plus budget will play a huge part depending on what happens between now and then.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Officially Cancelled.... hopefully HHN31 will be HUGE!

5 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

With that said hopefully 31 is f**king bonkers!

Next year will still be HHN 30. Can't count 2020 if it never happened.

• Like 4

I'm glad they made the right choice. Having the 30th anniversary when so many people don't feel comfortable visiting the parks just wouldn't have been good. This event costs A TON to put on every night. They would have been operating at a loss or close to it nightly. Plus it would have just been nearly impossible to socially distance and create a safe environment for the guests and Team Members in the scarezones and houses. 

Hopefully they will expand on the houses for next year's 30th. Add extra effects and details that they didn't have time/budget for this year since i'm sure we will be seeing all these houses next year. Can give us an even more amazing 30th anniversary next year. Who knows, maybe even give us an 11th house.  

• Like 2

I think that it had something to do with an few shared IP from Hollywood and Orlando.  Ideally, they parks split the bill of the IP's. 
  Why  do you think Stranger Things 2018 was in Orlando, Singpore, and Hollywood?  
 I think they did the math and saw the numbers still rising.  I want to go so bad,

I know that they cancelled it also due mainly to Covid 19. I just hope they recover. 
 If they don't recover enough money, then even if they have 3 years. If the company doesn't have the budget to do extra stuff then we might get basic hhn again

I'm amazed that people actually continued to think this event was going to happen.  Perhaps it was unrealistic hopeful thinking?

We have witnessed situations in the world that have never been seen in most of our lifetimes, if ever, before.  The Walt Disney Company with all of their parks closed worldwide for months at a time.  Entire seasons of sports being cancelled.  Mega-cities literally devoid of anyone on the streets and in public week after week after week.  Tens of thousands dead each month and hundreds of thousands infected.  Economies in shambles.

And some thought a company was going to cram pack a Halloween event with night after night of crowds?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, littlegreenghouls said:

I think that it had something to do with an few shared IP from Hollywood and Orlando.  Ideally, they parks split the bill of the IP's. 
  Why  do you think Stranger Things 2018 was in Orlando, Singpore, and Hollywood?  
 I think they did the math and saw the numbers still rising.  I want to go so bad,

I know that they cancelled it also due mainly to Covid 19. I just hope they recover. 
 If they don't recover enough money, then even if they have 3 years. If the company doesn't have the budget to do extra stuff then we might get basic hhn again

Basic HHN is still better than most others do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2020 has been a year unlike any in my 50+ year lifetime.   And the damned thing is only half over.

I think Universal made the only choice they could, and I hope they are able to survive what is ahead.  So many good things were in progress.

I hope I'm wrong, but I predict that there will be some local haunts attempting to operate this year, and that they will end up on the news as hotspots, and subsequently shut down.

For the sake of all, we need an effective vaccine.  Never before have so many companies been focused on one goal.  I'm thinking something will begin to be widely available around March, and then summer will tell the tale.  But until then I'm not optimistic things will be much different than they are right now.

I do look forward to all the creative scares and effects that will come from this whole crisis.  With the constant threat of something re-emerging for the next few years, there are going to be some interesting concepts to be presented in the haunt and theme park industries.  

Stay safe, and be excellent to each other (but at a six foot distance).

On 7/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, ThreeCircles said:

I'm amazed that people actually continued to think this event was going to happen.  Perhaps it was unrealistic hopeful thinking?

We have witnessed situations in the world that have never been seen in most of our lifetimes, if ever, before.  The Walt Disney Company with all of their parks closed worldwide for months at a time.  Entire seasons of sports being cancelled.  Mega-cities literally devoid of anyone on the streets and in public week after week after week.  Tens of thousands dead each month and hundreds of thousands infected.  Economies in shambles.

And some thought a company was going to cram pack a Halloween event with night after night of crowds?

I was not excited at all at the thought of how toned back the event would have been.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

Does anyone have any predictions for the third room of the tribute store? My thoughts are:

• Old props from past events like they have in Williams of Hollywood.
  • That screen printing machine they've had the past two years that you can get a shirt based off past years logos. They have the retro merch from 91, 92, 99, and 2000, so why not have the screen printing machine there so they can print other past logos from any of the 29 HHNs by request? This in turn would save them money instead of buying bulk shirts of every single year and not selling them all.
  • IP Merch - Billie Eilish, Beetlejuice, Haunting of Hill House, and Texas Chainsaw stuff. With the uncertainty of Universal being able to use these properties next year, they likely already purchased a lot of merch for these properties and have to get rid of it. Who knows if Billie Eilish will be as popular as she is this time next year, or if Haunting of Hill House will be relevant still if their second season flops. Any of these four properties could sell merch really well by themselves. 

Not saying any of this stuff will be in the next room, just theorizing and wanted to gauge peoples thoughts. 

On 7/28/2020 at 8:35 AM, littlegreenghouls said:

Anyone want talk about how now they can do a fall festival now?

To me, a Fall Festival at this point would be decorations, specialty food, merch, and perhaps some themed music.

Unless it could bring in much needed cash I don't see it happening.  And other than food or merch, I don't see a Fall Festival bringing in extra cash.

For the 3rd Tribute room, I'm guessing they did NOT pull the trigger on IP merch (Legacy?).  If they did, I'm certain it wouldn't have included any mention of 2020, so they could retain the ability postpone the IP and sell it in 2021.

I'd like to imagine they would be selling DVDs of what we see in queue lines during HHN.  "Relive HHN every night while in lockdown".  I doubt they will do this but I'd love to see it.  I'd also love to see that coffee table book we've all dreamed about, complete with backstories and blueprints.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zombieman said:

To me, a Fall Festival at this point would be decorations, specialty food, merch, and perhaps some themed music.

Unless it could bring in much needed cash I don't see it happening.  And other than food or merch, I don't see a Fall Festival bringing in extra cash.

For the 3rd Tribute room, I'm guessing they did NOT pull the trigger on IP merch (Legacy?).  If they did, I'm certain it wouldn't have included any mention of 2020, so they could retain the ability postpone the IP and sell it in 2021.

I'd like to imagine they would be selling DVDs of what we see in queue lines during HHN.  "Relive HHN every night while in lockdown".  I doubt they will do this but I'd love to see it.  I'd also love to see that coffee table book we've all dreamed about, complete with backstories and blueprints.

That DVD and coffee table book both sound pretty good actually. Plus with the DVD I'm sure they can also put in a bunch of promotional material they used from over the years. 

The other day I heard there's a law where when a movie reaches 35 years old, the rights revert back to the original writer of the script. For example, the rights to A Nightmare on Elm Street reverted back to Wes Craven's estate. When Disney acquired Fox they got the rights to Alien and Predator, which is why it's believed those two franchises won't appear at HHN again. Predator is 33, which means the original script writer can request the rights back in two years. Alien 41 which means if the original writer decides, they could request the right back at any time they want. I'm not an expert on this law, I only heard about it in a video the other day. But if this is true, does it mean there would be a chance for Alien and/or Predator to be in future events? Going a step further, Scream is notoriously difficult to get to the event. when it hits 35 could we actually potentially get Scream at the event? This could all amount to nothing, but thought it could add to speculation. I'll post a link to the video I watched in case anyone wants to check it out, it has more info than what I've said.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, MGregorio594 said:

Does anyone have any predictions for the third room of the tribute store? My thoughts are:

• Old props from past events like they have in Williams of Hollywood.
  • That screen printing machine they've had the past two years that you can get a shirt based off past years logos. They have the retro merch from 91, 92, 99, and 2000, so why not have the screen printing machine there so they can print other past logos from any of the 29 HHNs by request? This in turn would save them money instead of buying bulk shirts of every single year and not selling them all.
  • IP Merch - Billie Eilish, Beetlejuice, Haunting of Hill House, and Texas Chainsaw stuff. With the uncertainty of Universal being able to use these properties next year, they likely already purchased a lot of merch for these properties and have to get rid of it. Who knows if Billie Eilish will be as popular as she is this time next year, or if Haunting of Hill House will be relevant still if their second season flops. Any of these four properties could sell merch really well by themselves. 

Not saying any of this stuff will be in the next room, just theorizing and wanted to gauge peoples thoughts. 

The Ip thing wont happen. They wont be spoiling their ip for next year?  

I think they have an agreement with the ip holders, basically using the ip rights for 3 years. I do believe the business model would support that. 
 I don't think they would lose ip that was suppose to happen this year. Unless Warner Bros going to revisit haunted events again?   Warner Bro   has the corner of horror film. 

On 7/31/2020 at 12:42 PM, littlegreenghouls said:

The Ip thing wont happen. They wont be spoiling their ip for next year?  

I think they have an agreement with the ip holders, basically using the ip rights for 3 years. I do believe the business model would support that. 
 I don't think they would lose ip that was suppose to happen this year. Unless Warner Bros going to revisit haunted events again?   Warner Bro   has the corner of horror film. 

Generally, IPs are agreed upon for one year. Agreeing to more up front is an exception to the rule.

If Universal wants to reuse the IPs from this year again next year, the IP holders would have to agree to it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Legacy said:

Generally, IPs are agreed upon for one year. Agreeing to more up front is an exception to the rule.

If Universal wants to reuse the IPs from this year again next year, the IP holders would have to agree to it.

Which is why I think the originals and Brides are the surest things to be kept, since they have to negotiate for the others.  Of the four licensed ones, Billie will likely be their top priority.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic