Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation

Mark M.

1 hour ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

One thought I've had that's kept me going through all this is that for the next few years the event may go somewhat back in the direction that the fans want--between IPs becoming too expensive, rarer with productions shut down, and having to appeal to a local crowd.

So I was thinking the other day would fans truly care if they reused IPs as long as they kept new and mostly originals each year? Like let’s say universal wanted to do cabin in the woods again? It’s been almost 10 years would people really complain about seeing it again? Or a classic like the exorcist or poltergeist. It will always be a classic and I feel like people would love to see some of these houses again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USHER6998 said:

So I was thinking the other day would fans truly care if they reused IPs as long as they kept new and mostly originals each year? Like let’s say universal wanted to do cabin in the woods again? It’s been almost 10 years would people really complain about seeing it again? Or a classic like the exorcist or poltergeist. It will always be a classic and I feel like people would love to see some of these houses again

I’m all for this

• Like 1

7 hours ago, USHER6998 said:

I feel like there's a couple of IPs that could've been executed way better, so I could be open to it. I do think (could be wrong) that the house count will be cut 1-2, which I would be okay with as long as it didn't come at the expense of originals. I could see a 3/5 or 4/5 in favor of originals for the following few years.

I can't see them cutting back on house count without them lowering the price. It would just rub people the wrong way if the house count has been 10 for a few years now and then all of a sudden it drops down to 8 without a cheaper ticket cost. 

If anything, I see the number of IP's dropping significantly. Maybe 2 or 3 the next few years and they would be Universal owned properties so they can avoid higher costs. I don't see IP's in the street at all. I don't see the rumored Bill and Ted show returning anytime soon either. That show requires a lot more planning and production costs on Universals end. AoV is paid a "flat rate" to create the show and given a budget for set costs. Universal doesn't have to pay their own creative costs on it like they do with other shows. 

I do think it would be cool to bring back some OLD fan favorite original houses as well to save on cost. They have already been designed and many props are saved so the cost would be small. 

I will say, if the event does happen this year, I can easily see this year being a "dry" year in terms of alcohol or VERY limited (like your given two drink tickets to use all night long). Masks will be required and having everybody walking around drinking and getting drunk will just make the mask wearing issue way to hard to enforce.  It will definitely cut into their profits but safety is way more important.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Badge said:

I can't see them cutting back on house count without them lowering the price. It would just rub people the wrong way if the house count has been 10 for a few years now and then all of a sudden it drops down to 8 without a cheaper ticket cost. 

If anything, I see the number of IP's dropping significantly. Maybe 2 or 3 the next few years and they would be Universal owned properties so they can avoid higher costs. I don't see IP's in the street at all. I don't see the rumored Bill and Ted show returning anytime soon either. That show requires a lot more planning and production costs on Universals end. AoV is paid a "flat rate" to create the show and given a budget for set costs. Universal doesn't have to pay their own creative costs on it like they do with other shows. 

I do think it would be cool to bring back some OLD fan favorite original houses as well to save on cost. They have already been designed and many props are saved so the cost would be small. 

I will say, if the event does happen this year, I can easily see this year being a "dry" year in terms of alcohol or VERY limited (like your given two drink tickets to use all night long). Masks will be required and having everybody walking around drinking and getting drunk will just make the mask wearing issue way to hard to enforce.  It will definitely cut into their profits but safety is way more important.  

I think they might need to lower the price, hence the lower house count.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:01 PM, Collin said:

Does anyone know if the BOGO tickets will work for Oct 22nd and 23rd? I don't see those listed as blackout dates, but the tickets also state they're only for "select dates" 

The blockout dates for this promotion are 10/11/2020, 10/17/2020, 10/24/2020, and 10/30/2020. You can find these dates by clicking the "View Details" link when purchasing the ticket online.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

There’s a part of me that hopes this year forces us back to more original content and makes catering to the local fans a needed thing again. Bring on the games!

Seriously, this is the perfect time for game play to keep people active. 

I really feel like the event never lost its local fan base. I don't think the event was a huge draw for out of state visitors. Sure a decent amount of us traveled from out of state (like myself), but the event started to draw in a more local high school/college crowd in recent years. 

The problem with games is that it costs money to create and put on. If the event as a whole isn't going to draw locals to the park, I don't think a game at the event will do that. Another concept would be limited time merch but then you run the risk of getting upset fans that are not local who can't get it just cause they live out of state. At this point, the biggest draw is going to be price point and with basic tickets already out, I can't see that price changing. The other draw would be super popular IP's marketed early and often to get non-locals to the event. With this year already finalized, and VERY LITTLE marketing done so far which is a big mistake I feel,  the only thing they can do is hope the crowds turn up. If not, they will have to make some changes next year. Bring back American Horror Story for the newer seasons. If this years Haunting of Hill House is well received, do the 2nd season which should be coming out in Oct called Haunting of Bly Manor. Bring back the Bill and Ted show. IP's with broad appeal, easy to access, and less "hard core horror" IP's would bring in people from out of state but those guests need many months of planning. Hard core out of state fans know and plan for the event every year. A random person in Iowa who hasn't heard of the event might start planning a trip if they find out in Feb. that one of their favorite IP's is coming to the event in Sept. 

• Like 2

I think if HHN ever goes completely original houses a lot of not local guest would not come. People travel to experience the shining, stranger things, hill house. If they wanted original haunts they could just look at local haunts around them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

I live 20 minutes away from Universal an, although I was coming anyway, Ghostbusters last year was on the very top of my anticipation list. 

I live outta state and last year I had to go for klowns

• Like 1

Live out of state, was already planning on going. The top three I was looking forward to are Ghostbusters, Stranger Things, and Universal Monsters. I liked Stranger Things the first year, and my cousin went with me last year so I was looking forward to what he thought of Stranger Things. I get what people say about the unknown being mysterious, anything can happen. I love the originals. Most years an original is my favorite. Last year my favorite was Depths of Fear. The year before was Slaughter Cinema. The first year I went was HHN 21, which was a great year for originals. So there's no hate towards originals from me, and if it were all originals I would still go. Although there's something comforting about seeing An American Werewolf in London or The Shinning or Insidious or even Krampus (which I loved that house) is going to be there and being able to say I know that movie. It's nice to know there's something you already have a connection to that is sorta like a safety blanket, if nothing else, I know this movie so there's a place for me. So I agree with comments above about a necessity for IPs to bring in out of state guests. IPs bring people in, originals keep them.

20 hours ago, USHER6998 said:

I think if HHN ever goes completely original houses a lot of not local guest would not come. People travel to experience the shining, stranger things, hill house. If they wanted original haunts they could just look at local haunts around them

For the next few years, possibly the next half-decade, they’re going to be relying on locals.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:41 PM, Vampyr said:

The blockout dates for this promotion are 10/11/2020, 10/17/2020, 10/24/2020, and 10/30/2020. You can find these dates by clicking the "View Details" link when purchasing the ticket online.

this promotion might be make or break for hhn. 
 I project that they might loose up on black out dates? 

I heard from Twitter that Patrick from creative got let go as well. its a sad day.

3 hours ago, littlegreenghouls said:

this promotion might be make or break for hhn. 
 I project that they might loose up on black out dates? 

I heard from Twitter that Patrick from creative got let go as well. its a sad day.

Patrick worked in Art and Design, part of Entertainment. Not Creative.

Found this today looking for new info on HHN Universal Orlando, I dont know if links are allowed. But Rix Flix "First Time For Doing This At Universal | Something New at Island Of Adventure" 2:24 timestamp. He shows a house/maze being built

Edited by BigDave

42 minutes ago, BigDave said:

Found this today looking for new info on HHN Universal Orlando, I dont know if links are allowed. But Rix Flix "First Time For Doing This At Universal | Something New at Island Of Adventure" 2:24 timestamp. He shows a house/maze being built

At IOA??

9 hours ago, BigDave said:

It didn't show anything we didn't already know. Couldn't see any construction at all. Was just that they could hear hammers coming from the MIB tent. Nothing special. 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Badge said:

It didn't show anything we didn't already know. Couldn't see any construction at all. Was just that they could hear hammers coming from the MIB tent. Nothing special. 

Shows that construction is still in process

On 7/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, Legacy said:

Patrick worked in Art and Design, part of Entertainment. Not Creative.

sure, then why did his house ( Dead Expouse)  that he originally wrote got a sequel. He wrote and worked on numerous of mazes and scare streets. 
Don't not say that he didn't work on the event. 

35 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

sure, then why did his house ( Dead Expouse)  that he originally wrote got a sequel. He wrote and worked on numerous of mazes and scare streets. 
Don't not say that he didn't work on the event. 

Entertainment, specifically Art and Design, creates HHN. Not Creative. They’re two different departments.

• Like 2

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic