Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation

Mark M.

13 hours ago, kablue said:

Here in Kentucky everything considered non-essential is being closed. Still logging on to this website at least every weekday to see if anything is going on.

Same here in England - we're on total lock down! Hope you guys are all okay & keeping safe 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 1:31 PM, kablue said:

Here in Kentucky everything considered non-essential is being closed. Still logging on to this website at least every weekday to see if anything is going on.

According to my wife, I am definitely non-essential.

In California.

My kids are doing remote learning.

My wife is doing remote teaching.

I am doing remote working.

Stores are stocked, but waits are over an hour even if you show up before opening.

It's like having to buy your food from Hagrid.

My 17 year old daughter just doesn't get why she needs to be practicing social distancing.  My son is a gamer, so it kind of came naturally...

We have a little dog and I looked up what would happen if she got sick.  Vets are open by appointment only.  You drive your pet to the vet.  They meet you at your car window, take the animal and you wait.  Kind of like if Uber Eats served pets.

We can still eat out, but only for take out, or home delivery.  Business are hurting terribly.  Everyone is terrified of losing their job.

This will end, and the economy will come back stronger than ever.  I really believe this.  Gotta believe it because of the alternative.

If any of you feel anxious and afraid, I REALLY recommend you listen to Scott Adams (the Dilbert comic strip creator), who does a non-political Periscope once or twice a day.  He is completely rational to listen to and I feel so much better as he talks about the crisis.  Not political. Not happy talk.  Not scary talk.  Not comedy.  Just level headed commentary.  There's a good chance you will feel calm afterward.

Take care, everyone.

• Like 4

On 3/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, ultimateforce said:

Do we know for sure they aren't working on houses? I work in welding in Orlando and we are working for sure right now. The rumors in my circle are that Epcot will NOT be opening this year but the other parks will open as soon as possible. 

Construction would had been visible when I left work few weeks ago.   I work in the parks. I haven't seen anything.   I saw a video that they are still doing work on the Jurassic park construction. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
 I mean they could be working on stuff, maybe changing the content? to  less virus  

Construction at the parks hasn't been disrupted, the CEO did mention construction is still ongoing and everything is still on track.

Also, Patrick Braillard has relayed that they're still working on HHN as usual, nothing's been halted.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

Got the call today, my welding job is deemed essential to America so I'm working in a right room with 30 other people who travel internationally. 

Welp it's been a good run everyone. 

bro WTF?????????

This is one of the few times I'm glad I always work from home. On a computer.....

On 3/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, ultimateforce said:

Do we know for sure they aren't working on houses? I work in welding in Orlando and we are working for sure right now. The rumors in my circle are that Epcot will NOT be opening this year but the other parks will open as soon as possible. 

Construction has continued, yes. Lots of third party vendors are on it and moving forward.

18 hours ago, ultimateforce said:

Got the call today, my welding job is deemed essential to America so I'm working in a right room with 30 other people who travel internationally. 

Welp it's been a good run everyone. 

Assuming you have a respirator mask under the helmet, at least your work garb fully covers you.  Lysol the exterior every day, and take care, sir!

Construction is considered an essential service per Homeland Security. Construction won’t stop y’all. 

N95 masks tend to be standard construction equipment. I know this because we started slowly stocking up on things (except toilet paper cause WTF is that about?) about 3 weeks before everything started happening. My husband works for a construction supplies company. They couldn’t get N95 masks due to the manufacturers being sold out. 

My husband didn’t understand why I made about 10 different can goods shopping trips. He didn’t think I’d start a panic by doing one or two trips. Then the toilet paper thing happened and he was like “Oh!”  Yeah, one wrong person sees you with a larger amount of can goods and everyone’s going to lose their minds. 

6 hours ago, zombieman said:

Assuming you have a respirator mask under the helmet, at least your work garb fully covers you.  Lysol the exterior every day, and take care, sir!

I don't weld anything that requires a respirator right now so now I'm out here just breathing air! 

Just had a thought. Would this not be the perfect year to open up HHN at IOA and USO? Bring in the same capacity, but double the space and maybe use IOA as the "holding zone" for guests that have a virtual queue reservation for the houses at Universal? You can add food, a show and some scarezones to IOA, but that way the capacity could be cut in half while still entertaining and feeding the guests.

Yes, operational costs would go up, but I think guest satisfaction would go through the roof knowing that people could spend less time in line and more time walking around a general haunt vibe that has been expanded.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 3/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, Ringwraith said:

Just had a thought. Would this not be the perfect year to open up HHN at IOA and USO? Bring in the same capacity, but double the space and maybe use IOA as the "holding zone" for guests that have a virtual queue reservation for the houses at Universal? You can add food, a show and some scarezones to IOA, but that way the capacity could be cut in half while still entertaining and feeding the guests.

Yes, operational costs would go up, but I think guest satisfaction would go through the roof knowing that people could spend less time in line and more time walking around a general haunt vibe that has been expanded.

Just my 2 cents.

While I have wanted to see a return to using both parks, I don't see it happening anymore...especially this year. I am expecting quite a few things to change this year depending on how quickly this is all over. For one, I don't see crowds being nearly as large as they have been in years past simply because of the cost. Since this has started I have re-booked my onsite hotel, staying an extra night and still saving over $100. My airfare was also dirt cheap. Theme Parks around the world are going to be offering quite a few deals for a while after they all reopen to try and get people to visit again. If this goes into June or July, Sept is going to be a little too close for most people to part with a large chunk of change with the limited income they have been dealing with. With millions of people losing their jobs and no end in sight, spending money on vacations is not what the general public is going to be doing. While I don't think this will lead to any major budget cuts on the event as a whole, I could see some things like SIF and things hundreds on people have to touch every hour being removed. Depending on just how long this lasts, I could see them relaxing the "keep right up next to the party of total strangers in front you of" team members being toned down as people may still be practicing social distancing. Same thing goes with whatever show ends up being in FF. They might block off every other row to give people some more space. 

HHN 30 is an event I have been looking forward to for so long because they "anniversary" years are always a much larger production. I just hope the budget remained the same and they go all out this year. Time will tell.

• Like 1

There's something else that may change significantly this year for HHN (at least I HOPE it changes.  It NEEDS to change for 2020).

I am speaking as someone who has at least one underlying condition that makes this virus very risky to me.  So all haunts may be out for me this year.  

Squeeze tunnels, body bags, refrigerator flaps, hanging fabric, threads in face, water effects - I think these must NOT be in any house under any circumstance this year.

I'm sure how many of you can recall a moist, sweaty squeeze tunnel brushing past your face in past years.

I can't tell you how many times I've returned from HHN with a cold brewing.

This is much more than a cold - and history shows that around October, we may be facing the beginning of a second phase of this virus.  There's always a "part II" that quickly follows...

The scare elements I mentioned are bacteria and virus factories.

Orlando is hot and sweaty - you have no idea how many times you wipe the sweat from your eyes in an evening.  Many hundreds of contaminant transfer opportunities.  

Even a mask and gloves (expect to see those quite a bit) don't protect your eyes.  And damn, a mask and gloves in Orlando would be extra miserable.

I think the houses need to be completely re-imagined - more open, fewer transitions, less of a desire to keep sound from "bleeding" via refrigerator flaps.

Patrons should not be coming into physical contact with anything that 20,000 other people came into contact with that evening.

People are going to be worried about flying to Orlando for fear of contracting coronavirus on the plane, yet unafraid of going to HHN and contracting it.  That in itself is scary.

2021 things should be back to normal - but this year needs to be careful like never before.

Regarding phase 2 - Hoping I'm wrong.  Praying I'm wrong.  Suspecting I'm right...

Stay safe, everyone

10 minutes ago, Pyconn84 said:

If the spec map just released is even 75% accurate... color me SUPER disappointed for the 30th anniversary... I might rethink my event plans this year

And yet 80% of that map absolutely sells ME on going to the event. Different strokes.

• Like 5

Well this was some pretty bad news on top of everything going on in the world.  I am in sorta denial RN.  

They should just change the event name to “Halloween Nights” Cause there isn’t much there in the way of horror.  Spooky stuff sure, but not one Horror movie (or what I consider to be a horror movie IMO)  I apologize, I am not mean to dump on anyone’s fandom but totally not what I have come to love for over the past decade + :(.

enjoy the fog everyone... won’t be committing anymore cash till official announcements are released, and if they are in line with the map (as they usually are... Imma head out)

28 minutes ago, Pyconn84 said:

Well this was some pretty bad news on top of everything going on in the world.  I am in sorta denial RN.  

They should just change the event name to “Halloween Nights” Cause there isn’t much there in the way of horror.  Spooky stuff sure, but not one Horror movie (or what I consider to be a horror movie IMO)  I apologize, I am not mean to dump on anyone’s fandom but totally not what I have come to love for over the past decade + :(.

enjoy the fog everyone... won’t be committing anymore cash till official announcements are released, and if they are in line with the map (as they usually are... Imma head out)

Oh, so Haunting of Hill House isn't horror?

Terra Cruentes?

Dungeon of Terror?

Legendary Truth?

UCM Brides? (Remember, UCM houses are NEVER book reports of the original movies)

Deadtime Stories?

My god people, that's SIX horror houses. Plus a house involving Satanism. Same number as 18. I understand feeling bad in general right now but keep it in perspective!

I think the lineup could be better, but it could be SO SO SO SO SO MUCH worse. Honestly, the spec map earlier was worse. I can't tell you how bad some of the wishlists on teh Facebook page were. People wanting the same goddamn things over and over again--the 2328773th bloody year of Jack and Chance and Freddy and Jason, for example.

/rant

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

20 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Oh, so Haunting of Hill House isn't horror?

Terra Cruentes?

Dungeon of Terror?

Legendary Truth?

UCM Brides? (Remember, UCM houses are NEVER book reports of the original movies)

Deadtime Stories?

My god people, that's SIX horror houses. Plus a house involving Satanism. Same number as 18. I understand feeling bad in general right now but keep it in perspective!

I think the lineup could be better, but it could be SO SO SO SO SO MUCH worse. Honestly, the spec map earlier was worse. I can't tell you how bad some of the wishlists on teh Facebook page were. People wanting the same goddamn things over and over again--the 2328773th bloody year of Jack and Chance and Freddy and Jason, for example.

/rant

I was very specific with my words... “Horror Movies”

I love HoHH, great Show... more spooky mystery with horror elements.

and the others you listed were originals. 

I stand by what I said... Not everyone is going to like the same things.  The event has been getting noticeably tamer in my opinion. Whether is that’s cause money or lack of options is arguable.  

“Halloween Nights” seems to fit the event... again my opinion. This isn’t meant as a shot or to be argumentative, just as observation.  

cheers!

9 minutes ago, Pyconn84 said:

I was very specific with my words... “Horror Movies”

I love HoHH, great Show... more spooky mystery with horror elements.

and the others you listed were originals. 

Fair. I can't really argue with you if you're specifically looking for horror MOVIES.

But calling HoHH not horror is looking at horror, even "straight" horror  with way too small a scope. I find it WAY scarier than Freddy and Jason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA5hMQ1-7DI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6KOsePEHs&t=325s

And I go to HHN for originals anyway. I definitely agree that there's certainly been the introduction of more comedy and/or family IPs since 28. But part of that is because there's more houses now--granted I don't want a higher number. I mean, 18--the gold standard of the event's history--had six "straight" originals, one comedy original and one IP that on one hand was R-rated but definitely not horror.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Fair.

I can't really argue with you if you're specifically looking for horror MOVIES.

But calling HoHH not horror is looking at horror, even "straight" horror  with way too small a scope. I find it WAY scarier than Freddy and Jason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA5hMQ1-7DI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6KOsePEHs&t=325s

Yah Freddy or Jason aren’t scary at all and HoHH Was way scarier.  But I found myself wanting to know more about the mystery or the house and what happened than anything. The conjurverse by comparison is way more in line with horror IMO.

there HAS to be something said for a good Slasher at the event. 

Licensing and money always has its say on these things.  /shrug

oh well.  I am glad some are happy about the rumored line up.  Not sure what I am gunna do just yet. Could be the year I save thousands of dollars.  

• Like 1

It's alright, but for the 30-year anniversary, this is kinda disappointing. All the originals sound absolutely amazing (TERRA QUEEN HELL YEAH!), but in terms of IP, sure ya got Beetlejuice, but the rest is kinda eh. Also, was hoping for more originals for the 30th, but nope we still got a 6 IP, 4 original split.

• Like 2

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic