Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation

Mark M.

1 hour ago, HHN Pro 2 said:

I know this will never happen, but I REALLY want a BioShock house.

Most us were super happy with the Saws N Steam house, going so far as to call the final scareactor "Big Daddy".  Not to mention the art deco feel of the facade.  If that's as close as we ever get, I'll be happy with it.

I never quite got a Bioshock feel from the end of Depths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Most us were super happy with the Saws N Steam house, going so far as to call the final scareactor "Big Daddy".  Not to mention the art deco feel of the facade.  If that's as close as we ever get, I'll be happy with it.

I never quite got a Bioshock feel from the end of Depths.

What was Saws 'N Steam about?

Also, the only BioShock vibe I got from Depths was the underwater setting. Aside from that, not much.

17 hours ago, HHN Pro 2 said:

What was Saws 'N Steam about?

Also, the only BioShock vibe I got from Depths was the underwater setting. Aside from that, not much.

My memories is a bit of blur but Saws N Steam Into The Machine was about a utopia that was fantasized by these people called The Horizon, Water was very rich, poor was very high I believe, so there was this place called The Horizon, and they'd give you this test, if you failed you were sent away but if you passed you were accepted but you weren't signing for something you wanted  but to be taken away and drained of your blood which would be used as fuel for the city, the water and blood and your body would be taken and used to fuel the city basically and parts would be used well for parts like weapons and stuff I believe, though the concept of the house with art deco stuff and etc. was very inspired by Bioshock, this house was awesome, the story behind it was pretty cool too, I'd think if they brought it back as a scarezone again it'd be awesome. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

My memories is a bit of blur but Saws N Steam Into The Machine was about a utopia that was fantasized by these people called The Horizon, Water was very rich, poor was very high I believe, so there was this place called The Horizon, and they'd give you this test, if you failed you were sent away but if you passed you were accepted but you weren't signing for something you wanted  but to be taken away and drained of your blood which would be used as fuel for the city, the water and blood and your body would be taken and used to fuel the city basically and parts would be used well for parts like weapons and stuff I believe, though the concept of the house with art deco stuff and etc. was very inspired by Bioshock, this house was awesome, the story behind it was pretty cool too, I'd think if they brought it back as a scarezone again it'd be awesome. :)

Did they make a deal with the devil in 2011? Seems like every house sans Thing was a home run. Guess Lady Luck was on their side, no?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Did they make a deal with the devil in 2011? Seems like every house sans Thing was a home run. Guess Lady Luck was on their side, no?

Lady Luck was basically involved with each house in some form of a way and I am sure she was, roll of the dice and bet your life type houses but they worked out very well, the full story behind each house including the Thing & Lady Luck was really good, a bit fleshed out, wish for more of that now as it was then but who knows anymore and as much as people say 21 seemed like the black sheep year, I'd say 23 was because it had a good build up with Evil Takes Root but dropped when TWD became the entire theme.

Honestly, this talk of Beetlejuice, I mean the rumor has been going on since then, if it happens okay but I'm sure people are going to think of it the same way they thought about GB, people get all hyped for it and then it turns out completely different so if it happens which I am unsure it would, I'm going into that house with no anticipation, hopefully they do it well. Everything is still rumored until official by Universal you know.

Edited by HorrorUnearthed
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, Legacy said:

They’re Entertainment, over A&D, and don’t get hands on with HHN.

Jason and Lora are co-heads of A&D. Lora was part of the team during the aughts, but her function now is predominantly administrative rather than creative.

David is still very much hands on..

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, OhHaiInternet95 said:

2011 was a FANTASTIC year - one of the best ever in my opinion.  While Lady Luck was not a very memorable icon, the way she was weaved into all of the houses was very cool.

The In Between was easily the best 3D house I've been in anywhere in the country.

Saws & Steam backstory was described very well above.  The final room was very close to that of Depths, but there was a waterfall separating you from the baddie ahead of you.  In S&S, the costume was reminiscent of Big Daddy, and he came charging through the waterfall at you.

Winter's Night was every bit as beautiful as Graveyard Games (which is my new GOAT)

Forsaken was loosely based on The Fog, but was epic in scale, with a massive shipwreck in the middle of it.

Nevermore was a Poe fan's nirvana.

HR Bloodengutz was a great blend of comedy and horror, served with a side of 'memberberries.

And 2011 was where Nightingales began, with the location being the trenches in WWI.

2011 was the last time HHN had overwhelmingly original houses.  The pendulum swung hard to IP in 2012 and it took a long time to get back to even a 50/50 split.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, zombieman said:

2011 was a FANTASTIC year - one of the best ever in my opinion.  While Lady Luck was not a very memorable icon, the way she was weaved into all of the houses was very cool.

The In Between was easily the best 3D house I've been in anywhere in the country.

Saws & Steam backstory was described very well above.  The final room was very close to that of Depths, but there was a waterfall separating you from the baddie ahead of you.  In S&S, the costume was reminiscent of Big Daddy, and he came charging through the waterfall at you.

Winter's Night was every bit as beautiful as Graveyard Games (which is my new GOAT)

Forsaken was loosely based on The Fog, but was epic in scale, with a massive shipwreck in the middle of it.

Nevermore was a Poe fan's nirvana.

HR Bloodengutz was a great blend of comedy and horror, served with a side of 'memberberries.

And 2011 was where Nightingales began, with the location being the trenches in WWI.

2011 was the last time HHN had overwhelmingly original houses.  The pendulum swung hard to IP in 2012 and it took a long time to get back to even a 50/50 split.

This COULD be the year we finally get more originals than IPs, just by nature of the possibility of 11 houses.

Anyways, here's my very rough, shot in the dark, and still too early prediction for the lineup:

• Beetlejuice (Legacy's clue and what he said recently)
  • Revenge of Chucky (Again, Legacy's clue as well as ModDesigner's comments--if not Scarecrow, THIS would be a perfect opportunity for an open floor house--set it in a toy store, put it in SS25, lay the path via shelves)
  • Stranger Things (for budget and to promote S4...believe me, ugh...maybe Sabrina instead, though I'm not sure if that would be much better; I just can't see them not using any Netflix properties).
  • Creepshow (Ifrit + fairly cheap since Hollywood did it)
  • "UCM: Bride" (Once again, Legacy's clue...and c'mon, it's the 30th, you really think they'd do nothing with the Monsters?)
  • Jack's Dungeon of Terror (Legacy's clue; sticking with my idea of going through the carnival dark ride he was found in, to fit with the whole "back in his box" thing; heck you could work LT in there if that rumor is correct)
  • Scarecrow sequel or repeat (The promo image; aside from cornfield which would be less likely if they did something in the vain of my Chucky idea, I remember someone pitching the idea of a Seeds of Extinction crossover)
  • Terra Cruentes: Season of the Queen (Legacy saying that it's about on the same level of likelihood as Billie)
Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

David is still very much hands on..

He’s never been brought up in my conversations, nor is he in the “A&D” structure. The “HHN team (on paper) is Charles, Patrick, and Blake. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, OhHaiInternet95 said:

HHN21 was a very good year.... last great year with originals. I loved it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Legacy said:

He’s never been brought up in my conversations, nor is he in the “A&D” structure. The “HHN team (on paper) is Charles, Patrick, and Blake. 

Not sure what you mean about the "A&D structure" because David is definitely still involved.  I know because he's my friend.  Also, Dylan has been getting in on it as well.  He did a lot for Nightingales last year..  A lot of great minds doing great things.  Can't wait to see what happens this year!

11 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

This COULD be the year we finally get more originals than IPs, just by nature of the possibility of 11 houses.

Anyways, here's my very rough, shot in the dark, and still too early prediction for the lineup:

• Beetlejuice (Legacy's clue and what he said recently)
  • Revenge of Chucky (Again, Legacy's clue as well as ModDesigner's comments--if not Scarecrow, THIS would be a perfect opportunity for an open floor house--set it in a toy store, put it in SS25, lay the path via shelves)
  • Stranger Things (for budget and to promote S4...believe me, ugh...maybe Sabrina instead, though I'm not sure if that would be much better; I just can't see them not using any Netflix properties).
  • Creepshow (Ifrit + fairly cheap since Hollywood did it)
  • "UCM: Bride" (Once again, Legacy's clue...and c'mon, it's the 30th, you really think they'd do nothing with the Monsters?)
  • Jack's Dungeon of Terror (Legacy's clue; sticking with my idea of going through the carnival dark ride he was found in, to fit with the whole "back in his box" thing; heck you could work LT in there if that rumor is correct)
  • Scarecrow sequel or repeat (The promo image; aside from cornfield which would be less likely if they did something in the vain of my Chucky idea, I remember someone pitching the idea of a Seeds of Extinction crossover)
  • Terra Cruentes: Season of the Queen (Legacy saying that it's about on the same level of likelihood as Billie)

that would be a great line up... minus Chucky... kinda tired of that little shit....

• Like 2

I could definitely do without Chucky as well.  I absolutely HATE Chucky.. but I've said that before here.  We need some things that haven't been done in the last couple of years (i.e. No more Chucky, Stranger Things or TWD).  I'm ok with Uni Monsters because that is timeless and so much can be done with it.  Monsters was my fave house last year.  I'd love to see more of it.  

• Like 3

If they bring Stranger Things back this year, I am sure we will go through the house once to check the box, but at this point they do not have any more content and it would seriously be a wasted soundstage.

I loved the rumor to bring BeetleJuice to the FFL stage, but even having a house would be pretty cool.  There are some excellent horror themes and facades they can make use of, including the SNAKE!

On 2/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, hunnylvr said:

Kind of a condescending remark.   Further, who the hell has "fallen for the marketing"?  If it was only about the marketing, I wouldn't still be attending after 16 straight years.  It's about the creativity, the adrenaline, the love of horror, the camaraderie, the fun, the BEST TIME OF THE YEAR extended into two whole months!

I get that Universal is a business first, no matter what.  I get that the whole idea is to cater to the GP because they make up the most of the attendees.  However, let's not forget that those of us who are rabid fans of this event are also, by default, sometimes their best marketing.  We buy all the merch, and we wear it every where.  People comment on the shirts, and we are thrilled to be able to talk about HHN to someone who doesn't know.  We preach it like a religion, and we, therefore, also help to grow the "GP" at the event.  I have worn my HHN shirts all over this country and in other countries as well, and I have lost count as to the many comments I get on those shirts and how many conversations I've had about HHN.  Also, A&D doesn't discount its core fan base.  They enjoy giving us whatever they can related to HHN history or to horror classics or whatever.  I don't care about what Marketing says or does - to me, they are incompetent regarding this event.  Too many tropes and cliches - they lose perspective as well as opportunity.  A&D know how to pull the triggers, get the reactions and keep the fans.  That's how you convert the GP into the crazies like us and organically grow this thing every year.

I'm kind of tired of this whole snobby, eye-rolling reaction whenever the rabid fans wax nostalgic on a friggin site whose sole existence is for HHN.  Let's keep a little perspective here. 

I’m having a lot of trouble understanding this. If marketing is so “incompetent” how come HHN’s attendance keeps growing? I know it can’t just be from random minutiae interactions over t-shirts. Don’t all parties involved have to work together at some point in time to sell HHN? I know that we all like to think we’re important in the hearts of HHN but the bottom line, at least to me, seems to be an insurance of growth. They’ve already got our money, and since they’re not a mom & pop operation but a Comcast stemmed event, they want more. From where I’m sitting if the event lacks growth, it stagnates, it eventually dies.

While snobbiness and an aura of gatekeeping contribute to why I generally don’t come around here anymore, I didn’t really get that (or condescension) from what he said so I’m struggling with this. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Not sure what you mean about the "A&D structure" because David is definitely still involved.  I know because he's my friend.  Also, Dylan has been getting in on it as well.  He did a lot for Nightingales last year..  A lot of great minds doing great things.  Can't wait to see what happens this year!

I mean the Entertainment Design / Creative Development section of the Entertainment department. Their organizational structure. It’s the what Mike was the head of, where Charles, Patrick, and Blake work, and the creative heart of Entertainment. Dylan isn’t in that structure.

The team is big, I realize. Elements of Entertainment that sit above and peer to A&D are involved. However, in the years I’ve been getting stuff directly from the inside, I’ve never heard Dylan mentioned.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 6:44 PM, DraculaTeeth said:

I’m having a lot of trouble understanding this. If marketing is so “incompetent” how come HHN’s attendance keeps growing? I know it can’t just be from random minutiae interactions over t-shirts. Don’t all parties involved have to work together at some point in time to sell HHN? I know that we all like to think we’re important in the hearts of HHN but the bottom line, at least to me, seems to be an insurance of growth. They’ve already got our money, and since they’re not a mom & pop operation but a Comcast stemmed event, they want more. From where I’m sitting if the event lacks growth, it stagnates, it eventually dies.

While snobbiness and an aura of gatekeeping contribute to why I generally don’t come around here anymore, I didn’t really get that (or condescension) from what he said so I’m struggling with this. 

To be fair, the attendance was supposedly lower this year. At least it felt like it for the most part.

Obviously there will continue to be stuff to bring in newcomers, but all I ask is that we have plenty to balance it out as well.

• Like 1

I'm surprised this, from The Ifrit, has not been addressed on here:

Seeped in blood, the roots have grown
Vines of iron branch like a throne
A flame is stoked, the fires lit 
A blade is forged in the pit

Guards await, calm and steady 
Berries ripe, wine is ready
Hold your hope within reason
And prepare for the season

Is this too obviously Terra Queen?

• Like 4