Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation

Mark M.

19 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Can someone give me the run down of the HHN and Billie Eilish connection? Im old (a whopping 42) and confused about bringing in a flavor of the month pop princess to the event.....

A good chunk of her stuff is horror-inspired or laced with horror themes in terms of some of her music videos. Her album was apparently based on night terrors and such.

and she’s already under Universal Music Group so...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ForeverEvil1 said:

A good chunk of her stuff is horror-inspired or laced with horror themes in terms of some of her music videos. Her album was apparently based on night terrors and such.

and she’s already under Universal Music Group so...

After going down the rabbit hole on youtube with her stuff.... nice voice, seems like a nice kid, very typical of what the industry seems to crank out as far as pop singers.... but there has to be ACTUAL horror ways to bring in the teenagers.... IF you have to bring in more teenagers. This seems like a very Hollywood thing to do. Hopefully Orlando does something different... maybe a JLo/Shakira Lagoon Show .....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

After going down the rabbit hole on youtube with her stuff.... nice voice, seems like a nice kid, very typical of what the industry seems to crank out as far as pop singers.... but there has to be ACTUAL horror ways to bring in the teenagers.... IF you have to bring in more teenagers. This seems like a very Hollywood thing to do. Hopefully Orlando does something different... maybe a JLo/Shakira Lagoon Show .....

It is a very Hollywood thing. Marketing directed a house for both coasts. Orlando pushed back on a house but acquiesced the lagoon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Legacy said:

It is a very Hollywood thing. Marketing directed a house for both coasts. Orlando pushed back on a house but acquiesced the lagoon.

I feel like Marketing has screwed the event up. I wish the event still did fun things for the true fans, and had great websites. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Agreed. They do everything for the GP, and nothing for horror fans. House of 1000 Corpses was the one thing they did for us last year. 

I’d argue all but three were for horror fans--all of those three being in soundstages (yes I consider Klownz to be for horror fans, very Bloodengutz-y). It didn't help that those were the ones featured on the marketing, of course. That said, it's a bit more acceptable for 29 to have a relatively high amount of non-horror. Because 29 wasn't the year that matters. That's this year.

Oh, and is IU down right now?

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Agreed. They do everything for the GP, and nothing for horror fans. House of 1000 Corpses was the one thing they did for us last year. 

Well, the GP makes 98% of the attendees... so... yeah.

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I feel like Marketing has screwed the event up. I wish the event still did fun things for the true fans, and had great websites. 

Things change. There’s no one left on A&D who was there when they had full control. Universal is under new ownership. Attendance is higher (because of that focus on the GP, btw). It was always going to happen.

The event isn’t about “true fans” (which is an asinine, gate-keeping term anyway). But it never was. It’s a corporate event, designed to make money. Any loyalty you have towards it just means you’ve fallen for the marketing.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Things change. There’s no one left on A&D who was there when they had full control. Universal is under new ownership. Attendance is higher (because of that focus on the GP, btw). It was always going to happen.

The event isn’t about “true fans” (which is an asinine, gate-keeping term anyway). But it never was. It’s a corporate event, designed to make money. Any loyalty you have towards it just means you’ve fallen for the marketing.

I hate to be pedantic, but what was Patrick’s first year?

But can we please not have this discussion for the 19203042048545453984209482nd time?

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

1 hour ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

I hate to be pedantic, but what was Patrick’s first year?

But can we please not have this discussion for the 19203042048545453984209482nd time?

At Universal Orlando? 08 or 09, I think. He was fully on the design team until 2010.

I could be wrong on that.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

It's February.  What else is there to talk about in regard to HHN?

Oh!  I know!

Do you think HHN will have a no-alcohol night this year? **

** First one that responds as if that was a serious question is gonna get it.  Don't make me pull this car over...

• Like 1

Where there is A&D with the originals, Marketing will come with ips and we can't change that, it's not under our control, the event definitely change, some can say for the better and others can say they fell off the deep-end but looking at it, we've had some pretty up years and some ehh years, I'm always for the originals even though some of my favorite ips have come to the event, I will always have a big heart for the originals because that is what had brought me to the event a bit more than ips, seeing what they come up with behind closed doors and bring to life in the originals are truly incredible and worthwhile experiencing, even though sometimes some can be very odd but I would take em over the 6 years we had gotten TWD, I think that's where they sorta fell on the deep-end when every single house felt the same just different scenery. I'll admit I am glad we had gotten The Shining even though it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, we still got it, same for GB & Halloween, regardless of it, they know we will come to the event and our minds would change overtime to what they bring.

On 2/25/2020 at 8:15 PM, Legacy said:

Lol I’m not gate-keeping. At the time of posting this I was looking through my old photos and watching videos of HHN pre 2009. Was feeling nostalgic.  

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:15 PM, Legacy said:

Kind of a condescending remark.   Further, who the hell has "fallen for the marketing"?  If it was only about the marketing, I wouldn't still be attending after 16 straight years.  It's about the creativity, the adrenaline, the love of horror, the camaraderie, the fun, the BEST TIME OF THE YEAR extended into two whole months!

I get that Universal is a business first, no matter what.  I get that the whole idea is to cater to the GP because they make up the most of the attendees.  However, let's not forget that those of us who are rabid fans of this event are also, by default, sometimes their best marketing.  We buy all the merch, and we wear it every where.  People comment on the shirts, and we are thrilled to be able to talk about HHN to someone who doesn't know.  We preach it like a religion, and we, therefore, also help to grow the "GP" at the event.  I have worn my HHN shirts all over this country and in other countries as well, and I have lost count as to the many comments I get on those shirts and how many conversations I've had about HHN.  Also, A&D doesn't discount its core fan base.  They enjoy giving us whatever they can related to HHN history or to horror classics or whatever.  I don't care about what Marketing says or does - to me, they are incompetent regarding this event.  Too many tropes and cliches - they lose perspective as well as opportunity.  A&D know how to pull the triggers, get the reactions and keep the fans.  That's how you convert the GP into the crazies like us and organically grow this thing every year.

I'm kind of tired of this whole snobby, eye-rolling reaction whenever the rabid fans wax nostalgic on a friggin site whose sole existence is for HHN.  Let's keep a little perspective here. 

• Like 3

On 2/26/2020 at 12:27 PM, Ringwraith said:

David? TJ?

They’re Entertainment, over A&D, and don’t get hands on with HHN.

Jason and Lora are co-heads of A&D. Lora was part of the team during the aughts, but her function now is predominantly administrative rather than creative.

• Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic