IP Houses: What Would You Like to See?

Hey there, everyone. In recent years, Halloween Horror Nights has gotten big into using established IPs as a basis for houses at the event. Considering the roster and variety of IPs they have used (such as classics like The Exorcist or The Shining, or even more surprising entries like Ghostbusters), I thought it might be fun to discuss what sorts of IPs you'd like to see used for houses.

For me, I definitely want to see some video games used as inspiration. Not just something like Resident Evil (which could use another good shot), but other fare like Doom, BioShock, Fatal Frame, or Dead by Daylight. Honestly, even Five Nights at Freddy's would serve as a solid base for a house.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark would also be pretty good for a house. It could be based on the movie, but I would moreso see an anthology house rooted in the original book and illustrations.

As for movies and television, there are plenty that could make for good houses. A few that come to my mind include The Phantom of the Opera (a reimagining of the 1925 film, sort of like this year's Universal Monsters), Hellraiser, Channel Zero, Alien (based on the original film), The Conjuring, and Beetlejuice (serving as more of a "fun house" at the event).

I would love a house based on the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books. If the creative crew managed to bring those illustrations to life for a house, that'd be amazing.

I think 28 Days Later would be sort of fun. Channel Zero and Beetlejuice would be cool too!

Out of the video games you mentioned, Dead by Daylight or Doom would work best imo. Five Nights at Freddy's could be interesting, but I feel like the franchise is sort of dead/dormant without any updates about the movie.

Phantasm

Hellraiser

Friday the 13th (other than the NLC versions)

The Fly

It (Remake)

Little Shop of Horrors

Bioshock

Little Nightmares

Doom

The issue is, a lot of the older more popular/top rated IP's have been done.  You'll have to rely on newer stuff that's coming out.  I love Zombie movies, but let's face it.. it's all the same thing other than the story.

I still prefer original over IP's, but the general public wouldn't come in masses for that and bitch how the event sucks.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, mz_ said:

Phantasm

Hellraiser

The Fly

It (Remake)

Little Shop of Horrors

Bioshock

Little Nightmares

Doom

The issue is, a lot of the older more popular/top rated IP's have been done.  You'll have to rely on newer stuff that's coming out.  I love Zombie movies, but let's face it.. it's all the same thing other than the story.

I still prefer original over IP's, but the general public wouldn't come in masses for that and bitch how the event sucks.

Are any of those not off limits?

On 9/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, mz_ said:

Phantasm

Hellraiser

The Fly

It (Remake)

Little Shop of Horrors

Bioshock

Little Nightmares

Doom

Indeed, finding new IPs to use and maintaining a sense of variety can be challenging without just rehashing what's been featured before. Still, here's hoping that they can maintain a good balance of using IPs as well as creating original houses.

If they could make a house out of Ghostbusters (apparently a very good house; I will find out tomorrow), then why not bite the bullet and do Jaws?

Not meant to be humorous - it would definitely need to be given the Poltergeist treatment (i.e. Mandela Effect).  Which is to say not present a scene by scene house but to take big liberties by presenting imagery that we swear happened and scared us as a kid but wasn't in the actual movie.  I think they could pull it off and could be the GOAT.  It could also satisfy that itch we have to return to a SS Frightanic type house.

On the straight horror front, Terrifier is made for HHN.  Gore galore and a clown creepier than Jack.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, zombieman said:

If they could make a house out of Ghostbusters (apparently a very good house; I will find out tomorrow), then why not bite the bullet and do Jaws?

Not meant to be humorous - it would definitely need to be given the Poltergeist treatment (i.e. Mandela Effect).  Which is to say not present a scene by scene house but to take big liberties by presenting imagery that we swear happened and scared us as a kid but wasn't in the actual movie.  I think they could pull it off and could be the GOAT.  It could also satisfy that itch we have to return to a SS Frightanic type house.

On the straight horror front, Terrifier is made for HHN.  Gore galore and a clown creepier than Jack.

Jaws would be really cool to see, if they could pull it off. I agree with your idea on how to handle the house. I could see something like Poltergeist or even Exorcist, where you play with the dominant imagery (or imagined imagery, like you say) and capture the feeling of the movie instead of just trying to do it scene by scene. I'd also imagine they'd have to figure out some of the puppet stuff for the shark attacks.

Honestly, something I'd enjoy seeing as a house would be Gremlins. The main issue there would just be how many puppeteers they'd probably need to pull it off.

Slasher, an anthology murder mystery series on Netflix.

Leprechaun, the infamous B-movie series. Could make for a fun house.

Until Dawn, an amazing horror game with Wendigos, a Jigsaw-style killer, and a snowy lodge setting.

SCP Containment Breach, another amazing horror game that takes place inside a government facility filled with horrifying demons and creatures, then a breach happens and all hell breaks loose.

Five Nights at Freddy's, the movie, not the games. The movie is set for 2021, and Universal is in partnership with Blumhouse so I think it has a chance of happening. Plus if done right, it could make a pretty good house.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:53 AM, zombieman said:

19 hours ago, filmfanatic said:

Jaws would be really cool to see, if they could pull it off. I agree with your idea on how to handle the house. I could see something like Poltergeist or even Exorcist, where you play with the dominant imagery (or imagined imagery, like you say) and capture the feeling of the movie instead of just trying to do it scene by scene. I'd also imagine they'd have to figure out some of the puppet stuff for the shark attacks.

Honestly, something I'd enjoy seeing as a house would be Gremlins. The main issue there would just be how many puppeteers they'd probably need to pull it off.

You're in luck, a friend of mine made a good room lineup for a Jaws haunt on the IU Forums

"

Opening scene/facade: Similar to Poltergeist's facade, there would be some rockwork with seashells surrounding us and a rock and seaweed awning we would walk under. Above the awning is a forced-perspective model of Amity Island in the distance; some water lighting projection if placed on a blank space between the rock awning and the FP model to look like it's water. It's night, but there's a dim sunset lit up behind the model. As we walk up to the rockwork entrance with the model above us, there is some fog. We also see the shark fin in the "water" We hear the Jaws theme startup. Duuuu-dun. Duuuu-dun.

Scene 1: We go inside the rockwork and the entrance hallway. There's seashells and rocks surrounding us. No scares yet. The music gets a bit more intense. Dun dun dun dun dun dun. We exit the hallway to see a decent-sized room to make it look like we're submerged under-water (Think the under-water scene from Freddy Vs Jason). Rocks, Corals, sea weed everywhere. Above us is the surface. We see the legs of the girl from the opening scene and hear her dialogue from her opening scene. In front of us, we see a digital mapping projection of the shark's shadow, looming towards her.

Scene 2: We walk through another coral-reef hallway. The music gets more intense. We finally see the shark jump out (In puppet form) at us with the lady in his mouth. If they can do it, there would be some fog with red dye to give off the illusion of bloody waters. The music climaxes as the shark jumps out.

Scene 3: After a brief line of dialogue from old man Harry saying, "we know why you don't go in the water", we encounter a room of "floating" bodies and severed body parts in the wake of Jaws. These victims essentially represent all of the victims that died in the first half of the movie, save for the first lady who we already encountered. One of the "floating" bodies would be a real one and used as a scare. The audio trigger would sound like someone struggling underwater. In the room, an audio clip plays of Mayor Quimby saying, "You yell 'Barracuda!', people are gonna yell, 'what?' You yell, 'shark!', we have a serious problem." As we exit the room, a pop up of the rotted head from the movie pops out from a hole in the mass of coral walls.

Scene 4: We walk into an underwater cage with the scuba diver accompanying us acting like he's swimming. We see the Jaws puppet raming the cage with a loud audio trigger of a rattle to scare us. We see the bottom of the boat and the surface above our heads.

Scene 5: After a rock wall transition, we end up on the dock at Amity Island. To the right of us is a storefront of Amity as we are walking on the wooden boardwalk. We go up a plank and enter the Orca. In this scene, "Father and Son" is playing from the soundtrack. As we enter the Orca, we see Quint there with his beer singing, "Farewell and ado to you fair Spanish ladies". We walk inside the Orca.

Scene 6: We enter the Galey of the Orca and listen to the dialogue from the three on the boat as it is rocking back and forth (Similar to the pirate ship scene in The Depths and Knott's). We exit out of the galley through a curtain.

Scene 7: Where we should be on the deck, we are immediately greeted by Jaws himself popping out of the deck. Instead of popping out straight at us, he pops from the ground up towards up (Upward diagonal fashion); as if he were breaking out from the bottom of the ship and lunging at us. We make a turn and walk on a slanted platform ala the Forsaken and Dead Waters. Where gravity is pulling us, we see Quint being eaten alive by the Shark.

Scene 8: We make another turn and end up back in the Galley. The entire galley is tilted just like Blood Waters but half of it is ripped out by Jaws. He jumps out at us with blood in his teeth and Quint's leg still there, spraying water on us.

Scene 9: We're still walking on the mostly-sunken Orca with Brody there with his gun, sitting on a mast. An audio trigger lays of Brody saying, "Die you son of a b- BANG!" Jaws jumps out at us on-que, with an air tank in his mouth, as if he's coming out from the bottom of the ship, lunging at us. For more dramatic effect, we would feel a blast of air.

Scene 10: We turn the corner and we see Brody swimming off in the distance as a projection. We enter a sea rock formation that takes us back under water.

Scene 11: For the final scene, we see bits and pieces of Jaws "floating" everywhere. There is some red-colored fog in the room. For one final scare, a ravaged Jaws, with bones and burnt flesh hanging down, lunges straight at us for one more scare.

Then we have the line attendants yelling at us to move towards the exit."

• Like 1
  • Love 2

43 minutes ago, themazethinker said:

You're in luck, a friend of mine made a good room lineup for a Jaws haunt on the IU Forums

"

Opening scene/facade: Similar to Poltergeist's facade, there would be some rockwork with seashells surrounding us and a rock and seaweed awning we would walk under. Above the awning is a forced-perspective model of Amity Island in the distance; some water lighting projection if placed on a blank space between the rock awning and the FP model to look like it's water. It's night, but there's a dim sunset lit up behind the model. As we walk up to the rockwork entrance with the model above us, there is some fog. We also see the shark fin in the "water" We hear the Jaws theme startup. Duuuu-dun. Duuuu-dun.

Scene 1: We go inside the rockwork and the entrance hallway. There's seashells and rocks surrounding us. No scares yet. The music gets a bit more intense. Dun dun dun dun dun dun. We exit the hallway to see a decent-sized room to make it look like we're submerged under-water (Think the under-water scene from Freddy Vs Jason). Rocks, Corals, sea weed everywhere. Above us is the surface. We see the legs of the girl from the opening scene and hear her dialogue from her opening scene. In front of us, we see a digital mapping projection of the shark's shadow, looming towards her.

Scene 2: We walk through another coral-reef hallway. The music gets more intense. We finally see the shark jump out (In puppet form) at us with the lady in his mouth. If they can do it, there would be some fog with red dye to give off the illusion of bloody waters. The music climaxes as the shark jumps out.

Scene 3: After a brief line of dialogue from old man Harry saying, "we know why you don't go in the water", we encounter a room of "floating" bodies and severed body parts in the wake of Jaws. These victims essentially represent all of the victims that died in the first half of the movie, save for the first lady who we already encountered. One of the "floating" bodies would be a real one and used as a scare. The audio trigger would sound like someone struggling underwater. In the room, an audio clip plays of Mayor Quimby saying, "You yell 'Barracuda!', people are gonna yell, 'what?' You yell, 'shark!', we have a serious problem." As we exit the room, a pop up of the rotted head from the movie pops out from a hole in the mass of coral walls.

Scene 4: We walk into an underwater cage with the scuba diver accompanying us acting like he's swimming. We see the Jaws puppet raming the cage with a loud audio trigger of a rattle to scare us. We see the bottom of the boat and the surface above our heads.

Scene 5: After a rock wall transition, we end up on the dock at Amity Island. To the right of us is a storefront of Amity as we are walking on the wooden boardwalk. We go up a plank and enter the Orca. In this scene, "Father and Son" is playing from the soundtrack. As we enter the Orca, we see Quint there with his beer singing, "Farewell and ado to you fair Spanish ladies". We walk inside the Orca.

Scene 6: We enter the Galey of the Orca and listen to the dialogue from the three on the boat as it is rocking back and forth (Similar to the pirate ship scene in The Depths and Knott's). We exit out of the galley through a curtain.

Scene 7: Where we should be on the deck, we are immediately greeted by Jaws himself popping out of the deck. Instead of popping out straight at us, he pops from the ground up towards up (Upward diagonal fashion); as if he were breaking out from the bottom of the ship and lunging at us. We make a turn and walk on a slanted platform ala the Forsaken and Dead Waters. Where gravity is pulling us, we see Quint being eaten alive by the Shark.

Scene 8: We make another turn and end up back in the Galley. The entire galley is tilted just like Blood Waters but half of it is ripped out by Jaws. He jumps out at us with blood in his teeth and Quint's leg still there, spraying water on us.

Scene 9: We're still walking on the mostly-sunken Orca with Brody there with his gun, sitting on a mast. An audio trigger lays of Brody saying, "Die you son of a b- BANG!" Jaws jumps out at us on-que, with an air tank in his mouth, as if he's coming out from the bottom of the ship, lunging at us. For more dramatic effect, we would feel a blast of air.

Scene 10: We turn the corner and we see Brody swimming off in the distance as a projection. We enter a sea rock formation that takes us back under water.

Scene 11: For the final scene, we see bits and pieces of Jaws "floating" everywhere. There is some red-colored fog in the room. For one final scare, a ravaged Jaws, with bones and burnt flesh hanging down, lunges straight at us for one more scare.

Wow. Props to your friend. He did a good job capturing the spirit and iconic images for a Jaws house without doing it as purely a scene by scene recreation.

• 1 month later...

Some IPs I would love to see come to the event: 

They Live (It would be an interesting house even if they would want to make it 3 rooms in a John Carpenter homage house, it'd still be cool.)

Phantasm (The Tallman is iconic and should definitely given a house at HHN, the movies have had some many effects work and beautiful sets, I'd love to step into the house and see us in front of the Morningside Cemetery and walking towards the mortuary, sorta what Graveyard Games facade was like this and hearing that awesome opening theme playing.)

Night Of The Demons (Another good film with haunted house vibes and 80s-esque style to it, putting us in the middle of the action, things going awry and we're trying to escape before we are the next victims.) 

A Quiet Place - The film was really good and definitely intense at point and the creatures look really cool, having moments in the house where noises just happen at certain points and then seeing the creatures jumpscaring at certain spots, this would be sweet house, from the farmhouse to under, the silo and the forest. 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:31 PM, Midnight Detective said:

The Thing. Bring it back

I mean it definitely stood the test of time before, I thought after 25 when seeing the Thing/Victim was featured in the All Nite Die In scarezone, I'd thought we'd get it the following year but hopefully it happens eventually, it's true classic and I'm sure is still on the  list for both coasts to make happen.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, themazethinker said:

"

I really like this walkthrough, definitely be cool to see this happen as a house :) awesome work

• 1 year later...

I’m hoping for Candyman to get it’s own house for HHN. Next year will be it’s 30th anniversary, making it a perfect way to celebrate it and you also have a new installment in the series coming.

Hostel is another movie IP I want too. I know what you guys are thinking. RUN in 06 was inspired by the series other than Saw, and it’s already been done. But that was a Hollywood exclusive that Orlando never had before but should. I could see them either doing a “greatest hits” approach or a direct sequel to the first two films in the series with a new story by Eli Roth while ignoring Part III. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've got quite a few IPs I'd like to see at HHN. Some will probably never happen though lol.

• They Live
  • Pumpkinhead
  • Friday the 13th
  • Outlast
  • Scooby-Doo
  • Jaws
  • Creepshow
  • Thirteen Ghosts
  • Casper
  • Alien
  • Metallica
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street