Welcome to Horror Night Nightmares

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign In Sign Up

blues713317

Content From The Early Years of HHN?

Posted (edited)

It's always been a thought in my mind that so much of Halloween Horror Nights is a lot like a fever dream, it sneaks up on me subtly in the late summer, early fall, and then quietly passes into the night leaving very little behind, but not before having been a part of me for several crazy weeks.  Sure, in this technological age we are afforded the luxury of capturing high quality pictures and videos of scarezones, scareactors, shows, facades, event foods and beverages, and the overall aesthetics of any given year (and from the comfort of our palms no less), but aren't the aforementioned attractions more so a compliment to what really makes Halloween Horror Nights incredible?  That being the actual houses themselves?!  Yet, with such firm restrictions against filming and photography in said houses (for reasons I completely understand), I can't help but feel a little depressed thinking I'll only be able to relive specific houses courtesy of my memories.  And like many may agree, memories are very bittersweet, in that as readily accessible and uplifting to ones mood as they can be, they're also usually fog filled gaping holes of forgetfulness, instead of chasms engorged deep of imagery and sensory.

My first attended year of H.H.N. was a long time ago, 1994 to be exact, and in that year an evil little seed was planted deep within my subconscious.  From then forward I've been hooked on the nefarious magic of this annual Halloween event.  As I watch the event I love, grow and flourish, and take on new platforms/outlets via the internet and social media, I can't help but be envious of this younger generation of kids, and newcomers alike,  that have a seemingly endless selection of devices and methods to forever capture this illustrious event in each passing year.  But still, what can be done of the houses?!  I sit here typing, thinking to myself, I know I went through the Hell's Kitchen house ('94), but to save my life I honestly can only remember a painfully small amount of matter.  The roach man behind the Nazerman's Glass facade... the red lighting and incredible level of heat and humidity inside the house, sure... blood everywhere... one room (which may be just my imagination) of hung, mutilated corpses... and that's it, nothing more.  This goes beyond Hell's Kitchen too, my god, years 4 through 11 roll around in my head like a muddy ball, each time splattering from any given wall it slams into, leaving me with less and less.  Damn it's frustrating, if you love this event like I do, it's endlessly frustrating.  Worse yet, as I age further along I find myself more and more desperate, to unearth all the long ago buried memories from those early and formative years that now serve as something of a gateway to childhood past.  But what can I do? 

So now I'm here, because of what's been brewing in my pot of a head... can anyone at all confirm a suspicion I have, that of which is, I feel like Universal would have an enormous back catalog of all the years of H.H.N. passed.  It makes sense in my mind that they would keep records, blueprints, endless photos and videos of every nook and cranny of each years event (inside and outside the houses), costume design sketches, all things Bill & Ted, all things parade, etc..  So, does this holy grail of H.H.N. material exist, and if so, what can die hard fans such as myself do to get a taste of it, or better get the whole damn meal?  Would Universal ever decide to package and sell this content?  Can fans like us reach out to Universal creatives, and request said material?  I'm curious to hear what you all think, for better and worse.  For now, my only strategy is to voice myself on future H.H.N. surveys and to strike while the iron is hot, say the next time I bump into Mike Aeillo or T.J. Mannarino (as was the case last year).  Damn it, I should have said something then, ha-ha.  If I wasn't already so enamored with attending the final performance of Bill & Ted, maybe... anyway, that's all from me, for now.  Hope some of you can provide something optimistic regarding all the goodies buried deep within the vaults of Universal Orlando, that surely must exist.

Edited by blues713317
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just read the final paragraph Wesker lol, that will bring you up to speed. And I appreciate the links, but those are of no use to me concerning my topic. Mainly I'm looking for high quality content from the actual houses (inside and out). Other than random promo material, I believe Universal to be the only ones to possess said conent, in full.

Edited by blues713317
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, blues713317 said:

Just read the final paragraph Wesker lol, that will bring you up to speed. And I appreciate the links, but those are of no use to me concerning my topic. Mainly I'm looking for high quality content from the actual houses (inside and out). Other than random promo material, I believe Universal to be the only ones to possess said conent, in full.

Then you clearly need to take a closer look at the archive site because it has images from the houses as well as blueprints for several of them. The documenting of the houses didn't start until roughly the mid-90s when TJ Mannarino became part of A&D. 

I have looked before, but I'm wanting complete and comprehensive walkthroughs of each years houses, not just snippets of this and that. And I'm sure this is probably asking way too much, but if full walkthroughs were maybe video recorded, with the house in complete motion... that would be what I want most! But if what you say is true about TJ and the documenting, well then hell .  Also, Bill & Ted shows (and all shows throughout for that matter... ROBOSAURUS!) Getting full videos of those would be a gem to me, but I'm nearly positive that's never going to happen for all the obvious reasons (licensing issues being number 1). And yes I'm aware there are multiple uploads on various years found within Youtube. The thing about that though is it's usually piss poor quality from a tilted cell phone. I know I'm asking way too much at this point, but damn it what I'd do to be able to watch a full video of Hell's Kitchen in motion, or the Boneyard, to be able to relive them is what I want most. Nevertheless, thanks for passing along the info .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blues713317 said:

I have looked before, but I'm wanting complete and comprehensive walkthroughs of each years houses, not just snippets of this and that. And I'm sure this is probably asking way too much, but if full walkthroughs were maybe video recorded, with the house in complete motion... that would be what I want most! But if what you say is true about TJ and the documenting, well then hell .  Also, Bill & Ted shows (and all shows throughout for that matter... ROBOSAURUS!) Getting full videos of those would be a gem to me, but I'm nearly positive that's never going to happen for all the obvious reasons (licensing issues being number 1). And yes I'm aware there are multiple uploads on various years found within Youtube. The thing about that though is it's usually piss poor quality from a tilted cell phone. I know I'm asking way too much at this point, but damn it what I'd do to be able to watch a full video of Hell's Kitchen in motion, or the Boneyard, to be able to relive them is what I want most. Nevertheless, thanks for passing along the info .

or even better. a walkthrough video or description of universals house of horrors maze

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

House of Horrors maze? You mean the ones from the mid-90's right? HHN did that for about 4 consecutive years. I think 95-98. Happy to say I went through almost all of them. And they always featured two paths, one for old school monsters and the other, modern. I can remember a Freddy Kruger boiler room, Myers maked behind white sheets and a single Jack-o-Lantern, and lastly, a Werewolf segment through hedges in a mock outside environment, while CCR's Bad Moon Rising played through the speakers.

Edited by blues713317
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, blues713317 said:

House of Horrors maze? You mean the ones from the mid-90's right? HHN did that for about 4 consecutive years. I think 95-98. Happy to say I went through almost all of them. And they always featured two paths, one for old school monsters and the other, modern. I can remember a Freddy Kruger boiler room, Myers maked behind white sheets and a single Jack-o-Lantern, and lastly, a Werewolf segment through hedges in a mock outside environment, while CCR's Bad Moon Rising played through the speakers.

YES i always wanted to go through one but couldn't since well i was born in the 2000s

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blues713317 said:

The thing about that though is it's usually piss poor quality from a tilted cell phone.

Um... last time I checked, they didn't have camera phones back in the 90s when HHN began. So that piss-poor quality is due to video cameras. And no, you'll never see full blown videos from the early years. Footage is very rare. People have been waiting for the PART 2 of the Beetlejuice HHN show in front of the Bates Motel video to get uploaded. What you see on the Archive site is kinda all they have (for the most part) when it comes to the early 90s. We've been begging for a book chronicling the event or a better in-depth documentary like the 2002 Travel Channel one.

1 hour ago, themazethinker said:

YES i always wanted to go through one but couldn't since well i was born in the 2000s

Ouch... if that doesn't hit me right in the old person feels... and one of the former "House/Museum of Horrors" houses was actually planned to be a 3-way path house. Unfortunately the 3rd path got scrapped, BUT some of the concepts were brought back and used for its own house- aka GOTHIC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

lol Correct Wesker, but I'm referring to all years of Bill & Ted and was only using what I said as an illustration. Whether it be early or later years, I want access to tapings performed by Universal, if there are in fact any! And ditto for all houses. Simply put, I want complete and quality footage (filmed by Universal) of EVERYTHING. Simple, haha. And yes, I know I'm pipe dreaming here, but still fun to throw this post out there in hopes of ANYTHING.

And yeah man, I've been searching for part 2 to no avail. Also, it's not as detailed as I would like, but Chris Ripley's HHN book series is a great start  for documenting HHN and helps to capture some of what I'm wanting most, preservation of HHN!

Lastly, The Art of the Scare (Travel Network) is a good one. There is also a 2006 documentary on Youtube if you haven't already seen. It's about an hour and half. 

Edited by blues713317
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, blues713317 said:

lol Correct Wesker, but I'm referring to all years of Bill & Ted and was only using what I said as an illustration. Whether it be early or later years, I want access to tapings performed by Universal, if there are in fact any! And ditto for all houses. Simply put, I want complete and quality footage (filmed by Universal) of EVERYTHING. Simple, haha. And yes, I know I'm pipe dreaming here, but still fun to throw this post out there in hopes of ANYTHING.

And yeah man, I've been searching for part 2 to no avail. Also, it's not as detailed as I would like, but Chris Ripley's HHN book series is a great start  for documenting HHN and helps to capture some of what I'm wanting most, preservation of HHN!

Lastly, The Art of the Scare (Travel Network) is a good one. There is also a 2006 documentary on Youtube if you haven't already seen. It's about an hour and half. 

sad thing is some of my favorite movies turned into houses never got footage on the internet. things like the 2011 thing maze, the wolfman, or Frankenstein maze. you guys can't see them due to universals policies back then. only thing we  have are some crappy descriptions.

Edited by themazethinker
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, blues713317 said:

lol Correct Wesker, but I'm referring to all years of Bill & Ted and was only using what I said as an illustration.

A good majority of the B&T shows are on youtube and they're very good quality for being back during a time when we didn't have good quality smart phones for videos. You just have to know how to look because of how they're titled. Now 2005 is missing about 11mins of the show, which sucks, but even though I saw that year's show once, I can easily fill in the blanks with dialogue. Here's the thing though, that montage that they have used a few times at B&T before the show... yea, all that footage came from whatever past shows were uploaded on youtube.

34 minutes ago, themazethinker said:

only thing we  have are some crappy descriptions.

what description do you want? a few of those houses were pretty crappy and forgettable, but I can probably give you a somewhat breakdown.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WESKER69 said:

what description do you want? a few of those houses were pretty crappy and forgettable, but I can probably give you a somewhat breakdown.

somewhat like a scene lineup with a somewhat detailed description

Scene 1 - facade, scene 2-8 - dark, scene 9 - scary, scene 10 - time for a blinky cup drink. 

Yea  I was looking more for what house specifically

10 minutes ago, WESKER69 said:

Scene 1 - facade, scene 2-8 - dark, scene 9 - scary, scene 10 - time for a blinky cup drink. 

Yea  I was looking more for what house specifically

oh well the houses i listed before. wolfman, Frankenstein, and the 2011 thing maze

• Like 1

Wolfman was basically everything you more or less saw in the trailer... unfortunately no pics/video were allowed during the "lights on tour" that year for this house.

The facade was 2 Gypsy wagons on either side in the woods. A majority of the house was within the manor itself. Detail was decent. They of course had mid-werewolf transformation scenes. It was honestly a very forgettable house. The real standout portion was towards the end when you were back outside with rock walls on either side and a bungee wolfman leaping over you. Then the finale was a bungee wolfman that lunged from the darkness only to be shot resulting in him flying backwards.

As I said, it was very underwhelming outside of the "outdoor" scares. I believe the issue was due to Universal being restricted on what they could do/show due to the movie not being out yet. I still believe it would've made a better scarezone due to the IP limitations.

• Like 1

i found these old blueprints for the house of horror maze but there crappy quality. remember guys if you have any other memories of these houses please post them here

167737_170838952961007_3843416_n.jpg?_nc 

165690_173194346058801_1304443_n.jpg?_nc

• Love 1

Both of those houses were before my time. And they're some of the blueprints I had mentioned that can be found on the HHN Archive site (you have to click everything, it won't always be obvious)

Creature Features was located in Nazerman's... This was different from 2007's Vampyr: Blood Bath which utilized BOTH NY facade buildings (the 2nd, aka- old arcade became B&Js and Starbucks). This house was strictly in the Nazerman's building with the house entrance in Sting Alley.

New House of Horrors was in a soundstage and was a dual path, so technically it was 2 separate houses with one overall theme.

3 hours ago, themazethinker said:

also found a 1998 video with WALKTHROUGHS of houses. but sadly it's so god damn dark 

Well yea... houses aren't meant to be lit up like a christmas tree. And also, thats partially the crappy camera quality not having some type of light..

1st house - "Hell's High" located in Nazerman's. If you pay attention very carefully, you can hear "Voorhees" being called to the principal's office

2nd/3rd house - "Frightanic" located in Earthquake. 2 houses under one theme. If you pay attention at 7:23, you'll see the signs for "Fear in First Class" & "Carnage Crew". You had to choose your path. And yes, they did recreate the bow of the ship (with Jack/Rose skeletons) complete with water!! They do "Fear in First Class", then go back for "Carnage Crew"..

The only two houses NOT shown were the soundstage 2-in-1 house "Museum of Horrors"... Yes they had 2 dual run houses that year.

• Like 2

You know what is scarier than anything encountered within the Hell's High house?... That House Op girl's excessively over-sized hoodie she has on. :wacko: ....and the final scare being Dick Tracy Jason with an Axe & some other "slasher" outside the exit, but the camera did catch his "mask/face". Wish cameras had better quality back in the 90s... sigh

• Like 1

since the quality sucks i'll just tell you guys what movies were used [my sources are from this site, tv tropes, and dr jimmy]

classic monsters

psycho

night of the living dead

exorcist

texas chainsaw massacre

nightmare on elm street

friday the 13th

scream

candyman

the fly

halloween

poltergeist