Welcome to Horror Night Nightmares

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign In Sign Up

wow

Would these be good mazes?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ok so I was bored out of my mind and I came up with five mazes that would seem like good fits for HHN:

(1) A crossover of The In-Between and Asylum in Wonderland; basically just Asylum in Wonderland characters and In-Between Characters crossing over and fighting in each other's world 

(2) A spinoff of Alien vs Predator but instead of the Alien its Alien vs The Thing, set in the facility from the 24 AVP

- After reading one of the comments #2 is now Predator vs The Thing because that would be easier to explain and seems like a generally cooler maze

(3) A house based off of the first two movies of the Scary Movie franchise *so that Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Amityville Horror could somewhat come*

(4) A house called "7" based off of the zone from HHN 21; somewhat of a dark comedy/fun house, think Alice Cooper Goes to Hell from Hollywood but with the 7 characters

(5) Nightengales and Catacombs crossover set during the Plague; I was thinking it would start in a back French alley and work its way across a town and then down to the catacombs

Edit; I came up with four more houses:

(6) A somewhat original take on The Omen; the anti-Christ concept is good but the movie is a little too slow to be a house. I was thinking maybe they could pull an Exorcist and make it somewhat of an abstract maze

(7) A house sequel to the Orfanage that starts out where Orfanage left off(burning orphanage) and then explores what Cindy does after the events of the maze

(8) *my personal favorite that will never see the light of day* A Stephen King Mashup consisting of all the properties that can't fill up an entire maze: Misery, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Carrie, Christine, and maybe Salem's Lot

(9) A maze set in the suburbs during a virus outbreak that deteriorates people's flesh; so basically in the house you go from seeing basic symptoms like coughing to the full out spawns of the virus *similar to how the Nightengales transformed throughout their maze but in this mazes theme/form* with the maze ending in a quarantine area surrounded by infected people. The main scareactors in this would be infected people and people in quarantine gear

Let me know what you guys think

Edited by wow

Okay, I really dig the idea of crossing Nightingales and Catacombs during the plague. That has great potential for elaborate set design and body horror related scares (boils and archaic medical devices, hello?) and I like the cross-over of The In-Between and Asylum in Wonderland. That has a lot of creative potential, as well. And while I think the "dark Alice in Wonderland" theme has been done half to death, it would be cool to see what they could do with two concepts that involve really trippy, mind bending imagery; especially so if the maze is executed with surreal horror in mind.

I genuinely don't think that the Scary Movie franchise would translate into a maze very well, though. That might just be because I absolutely despised the movies and don't particularly like comedy-centered houses, so please take this with a grain of salt. But I just don't think there's anything really stand-out about that franchise that doesn't borrow heavily from other horror properties and that makes it difficult to work with, scare-wise. I just don't see the appeal.

I'm iffy about the 7 maze because a.) I didn't think the scarezone was that scary to begin with and b.) it only really worked because the Sins served as a suitable distraction for their minions, who executed the majority of the scares. I'm not sure how that would translate into a maze without the distraction scare being very obvious and becoming tiresome. Conceptually, very cool idea though, and I'd like to see those ladies make a comeback (especially Sloth and Wrath) because their "monstrous" forms were really neat. I could see it potentially working out, but I'd be skeptical of the execution.

Alien vs. The Thing seems like a very silly idea. It could be a fun maze, but they're very different franchises tonally, in my opinion, and the idea of them facing off seems awkward and forced. 

(1) didn't do the in-between, no idea if it would work.

(2) I want to see all of those separate then together. I don't see a plot reason for why Aliens are fighting Things. I think Predator vs Thing would work a bit better. As for my idea, Alien and Thing get their own houses. And Predator needs to be a scarezone it would be the best scarezone ever to have it deep in the jungle with panicked soldiers and flayed corpses(especialy if it was back in islands so that Jurassic park could be used and the theming of the jungle would be super easy)

(3) might work, but don't give up seeing these as their own houses.

(4) I think it would work

(5) Would be awesome, but I don't even see a need for crossover, either franchise in the Black Plague would be awesome.

4 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

(1) didn't do the in-between, no idea if it would work.

(2) I want to see all of those separate then together. I don't see a plot reason for why Aliens are fighting Things. I think Predator vs Thing would work a bit better. As for my idea, Alien and Thing get their own houses. And Predator needs to be a scarezone it would be the best scarezone ever to have it deep in the jungle with panicked soldiers and flayed corpses(especialy if it was back in islands so that Jurassic park could be used and the theming of the jungle would be super easy)

(3) might work, but don't give up seeing these as their own houses.

(4) I think it would work

(5) Would be awesome, but I don't even see a need for crossover, either franchise in the Black Plague would be awesome.

A new predator movie is coming next year. So there is a pretty good chance of getting a house or at least a scare zone next year. I like your scare zone idea, I think it would be cool if they kept it quiet and you would hear the predator's gurgle sound they make followed by the red crosshairs being projected on different people as they walk through. Maybe even have scareactors that walk through as plants that get blasted and have limbs blown off and huge chest wounds to give the effect that the predators are camoflouged in the trees.

Posted (edited)

Hey guys thanks for the comments! So far it looks like Alien(now Predator) vs The Thing is the least popular and Nightengales/Catacombs in the plague is the most popular; also I added a little bit more info to the mazes so that they would make more sense

Edited by wow

Ok so I can up with more mazes, lemme know what y'all think

I like the mix up mazes!

One ive been calling for years (Mike are you listening????!) is a cryptids house.... Sasquatch, Chupacabra, Mothman, Dogman, Jersey Devil, Goatman, etc. They could call it American Monsters (plenty of chupacabra sightings in the US). All the crazy mysterious beasts would provide a great narrative. I guess I'll have to hash it out myself and send it to A&D....

Answering in the style of criticalanalysis: Worst ideas ever.  Complete waste of time.  Horrible.

With that out of the way, #9 was briefly tried to some extent at Knotts in 2010.  The end of Fallout Shelter was an area where you were exposed to "radiation".  In one very dark room they had a bubble machine with UV sensitive bubble solution.  The bubbles were undetectable other than the occasional wet pop on your arm - which is itself a creepy feeling in total darkness.  The final room was UV lit and the marks left on your skin by the bursting bubbles looked like radiation poisoning.  It was a totally cool idea - instead of seeing people affected by the maze, YOU were physically affected by it.

The effect was pulled the first weekend because people were complaining that their clothes were being ruined.  Of course, the "stain" was only visible under UV and would wash out but that didn't stop people from trying to get refunds.  People suck.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:22 PM, zombieman said:

Answering in the style of criticalanalysis: Worst ideas ever.  Complete waste of time.  Horrible.

With that out of the way, #9 was briefly tried to some extent at Knotts in 2010.  The end of Fallout Shelter was an area where you were exposed to "radiation".  In one very dark room they had a bubble machine with UV sensitive bubble solution.  The bubbles were undetectable other than the occasional wet pop on your arm - which is itself a creepy feeling in total darkness.  The final room was UV lit and the marks left on your skin by the bursting bubbles looked like radiation poisoning.  It was a totally cool idea - instead of seeing people affected by the maze, YOU were physically affected by it.

The effect was pulled the first weekend because people were complaining that their clothes were being ruined.  Of course, the "stain" was only visible under UV and would wash out but that didn't stop people from trying to get refunds.  People suck.

That sounds so cool.  Shame about the complains, though.