Welcome to Horror Night Nightmares

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign In Sign Up

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arsik_22

The Mummy Ruined the Dark Universe before it Began

10 posts in this topic

I was really looking forward to the Dark Universe, but The Mummy crushed my hopes. Not only was this a jumbled mess, but they tried turning the Mummy into a superhero. I thought they would have learned their lesson after Dracula Untold... but apparently they didn't. What did you guys think? 

1 person likes this

I enjoyed the film!  Sofia Boutella played an excellent villain.  I liked the little homage to the 1999 Mummy.  I can't wait to see the rest of the Universal Dark Universe films.  

1 person likes this

On 6/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, BloodyMaryX3 said:

I enjoyed the film!  Sofia Boutella played an excellent villain.  I liked the little homage to the 1999 Mummy.  I can't wait to see the rest of the Universal Dark Universe films.  

Yeah I thought Sofia was great as the mummy as well. Just really bummed they're turning these monsters into superheroes. 

SPOILERS 

Having this actually be Tom Cruise's origin story as to how he's the mummy now was really disappointing. Especially since he doesn't look like a monster - he just has the powers of one. 

1 person likes this

People always complain man. I liked this movie and I'm stoked for the universe to build. I hope they don't cancel it or anything.

10 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

People always complain man. I liked this movie and I'm stoked for the universe to build. I hope they don't cancel it or anything.

Yeah, i know but I really do hope they go back to their roots. As long as there's more horror in the next few movies I'll be happy. 

I liked the film. I'm hopeful this Dark Universe venture is a success. Anyone expecting a remake of Karloffs film isn't thinking logically. Times are different and 90% of people dont want to sit through a slow burner like they did back then. It was a fun film. People need to f**kin relax and have fun.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I liked the film. I'm hopeful this Dark Universe venture is a success. Anyone expecting a remake of Karloffs film isn't thinking logically. Times are different and 90% of people dont want to sit through a slow burner like they did back then. It was a fun film. People need to f**kin relax and have fun.

I don't think anybody fooled themselves into thinking that it'd be anything like the slow burn classic horror, but something more akin to 2009's WolfMan would have even been better. Hell even Dracula Untold had more horror elements than this did.

Just now, _Veritas_ said:

I don't think anybody fooled themselves into thinking that it'd be anything like the slow burn classic horror, but something more akin to 2009's WolfMan would have even been better. Hell even Dracula Untold had more horror elements than this did.

Agreed. I loved the Wolf Man sans the ending. Drac Untold was meh. this Mummy was fun, but def minimal horror.

On 6/15/2017 at 7:00 AM, PeoriaBJJ said:

It doesn't need to be a slow burn but The Mummy didn't know what it wanted to be. It had six writers and you could tell. It tried tackling comedy, action, "romance", and horror but it only did the action right. The comedy, chemistry between cruise and wallace, and the horror failed. If I wanted to see great action with cruise, I'd go to see mission impossible. That's why the mummy only made 55 million in 3 weeks domestically. If it stayed true and focused on horror, it could've made more money and been well received by critics and fans. 

1 person likes this

Im not ready to completely give up on the Dark Universe quite yet.  After all, most folks would have told you that the DC expanded universe was dead in the water just a month ago.  Then Wonder Woman swooped in and blew everyone away and future DC movies will probably see better opening weeks because of it.

Hopefully Universal will wake up now and realize that it'll take more than big name (mostly has-been) actors to draw people to the theater.  These classic franchises deserve GOOD directors and GOOD screenplays.  The Dark Universe concept has so much potential that they shouldnt just churn out crap as cheap cash grabs.  They might as well sell the IP rights to Platinum Dunes if theyre going that route.

Anyways, I hope the upcoming installments are better because I really want to love this franchise