Welcome to Horror Night Nightmares

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign In Sign Up

Sign in to follow this  
Mr.HHN

Reading

Ok so y'all are gonna help me now for a bit. Im in a honors English class so I have to read a novel every month. To be honest I've never finished a book that's not Diary of a Wimpy Kid :( this month I picked up Hannibal Rising and am about 200pgs from finishing. I really want to read Stephen king next and im stuck deciding if I should read Cujo or Salems Lot? So in this thread post about your favorite books and if you can give me good titles please.

My favorite King novels are "Salem's Lot", "The Dead Zone", and "The Shining" so (even though I am biased) I would have to recommend Salem's Lot. I have read Cujo and it was good, but not my favorite. That being said is was faster paced than my top three, but just not as interesting to me overall.

If you are looking for more books of a horror flavor outside of King, I would recommend "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "The October Country by Ray Bradbury; "The Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux; "Summer of Night" and "Drood" by Dan Simmons; "Mister B. Gone" and "The Thief of Always" (the second is a dark kid's book with lovely illustrations) by Clive Barker; and I would be remiss if I did not put you onto HP Lovecraft and Richard Matheson but they have done so much good stuff I do not know what to recommend.

If you are looking outside of horror, I have so many more recommendations but the above list is a good start.

Being that the anniversary is here, I can not stress enough how important reading William Blatty's Exorcist is, so much better than the movie and I love the movie.

"It" is a great choice. If you've seen the movie your gonna read the book thinking "how in the f*** did they make this PG." Very gory and better than the movie.

"American Psycho" is another good one. Difficult to read because half of the book is going into extreme detail to what suits they have on or what their eating. But the murder scenes are even more f***ed up than the movie ones were.

"It" is a great choice. If you've seen the movie your gonna read the book thinking "how in the f*** did they make this PG." Very gory and better than the movie.

"American Psycho" is another good one. Difficult to read because half of the book is going into extreme detail to what suits they have on or what their eating. But the murder scenes are even more f***ed up than the movie ones were.

I loved "It" up until the last third where it just kind of seemed like King was trying to offend and, at the same time, connect it all to The Dark Tower Series (stupid turtle). Have you read "Summer of Night"? It has the flavor of "It" without the last third being weird/silly.

I recently read House of LEaves. that was a unique book. But I wouldn't say it was horror.

I was a die hard Stephen King fan in Elementary/middle school. I read IT in second grade. Scared the pants off me.

TommyKnockers, Skeleton crew, Shining, Cujo, Salem's Lot.

There were a lot of good ones.

the Talisman I found interesting. (King/Straub) as well as the dark tower series (up to wastelands). But they were adventure mixed with elements of horror.

Koontz too. Watchers, The Bad place, ect.

I'm about to read the The Call of Cthulhu

They all sound like great titles so im going to Finnish Hannibal Rising then read Salems Lot then I'll search for the Exorcist. After I'll look for some Clive Barker.

I'm about to read the The Call of Cthulhu

Today I read

"Call of Cthulhu"

"Shadow of Innsmouth"

and part of "At The Mountains Of Madness"

Love Craft definitly on par with Poe in terror and implied horror. Not to mention the books are failry quick reads

I've read Poe cuz their short their amazing. I've read The Raven, Fall of the House of Usher, The Black Cat etc

I fished Hannibal Rising and got myself a copy of The Exorcist! Amazing so far can't wait to finish it!