HHN 2013 Auditions

JDW

This is my first year auditioning for HHN in Orlando. Does anybody have any advice to give me, so that my audition can be successful? Thank you so much!

Smile and try not to give the same answer everyone else is giving. Also, wear clothes that fit you well so they can really see your body type.

In 2010, your typical scareactors got $7.25 an hour. Chainsaws, stilts, etc. got more.

And the headshot/resume thing is predominately a suggestion. They'll still take your pic at the door (since not everyone who auditions has headshots). If you want to get invited to the Bill and Ted or other show audition then the headshot/resume can increase THOSE odds.

Smile and try not to give the same answer everyone else is giving. Also, wear clothes that fit you well so they can really see your body type.

This is probably the best advice. Good luck to all of those auditioning this year!

• Like 2

My audition confirmation email said to bring a headshot and resume. It has been a couple years since I've auditioned, but they didn't used to require them. Is it a requirement now or just a suggestion?

I have gotten the same email about the headshot, and resume. In my eyes, I think you if you both of these things, then you should bring them, just in case. I hope I helped x].

Thank you so much!!

Can someone help me?

I myself am not auditioning for HHN, but I know a couple people who are searching for help on what to expect. I remember there was an article (by HHN In Photographs I believe), and it was all about what to expect for the auditions. It went over practically everything and it was really cool. I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know where it is or might be? Thanks so much! :)

EDIT - Found the article! Mark (or any of the admins), feel free to take this and pin it somewhere in the forums for future reference.

(Yeah... I'm the guy who wrote the article for HHNinPhotographs).

We’ve just passed the Fourth of July, which means two things: I’m nursing a ridiculous hangover and auditions for Halloween Horror Nights are coming up soon!

Over its twenty-one year history, HHN has featured thousands of scareactors. At some point, every single one of them has gone through an audition. Auditioning used to be a challenge: it required improvisational skills, creativity and a bit of luck. I was once asked to act out my own, original death scene (I was attacked by a swarm of ants!).

However, scareactor auditions are nothing like that now. Just like the event itself, the audition process has grown and evolved into something easily consumable for the masses. To put it bluntly, auditioning is like grabbing a slice of pizza . . . only there are twenty other people fighting over the same slice.

That said, every year brings a new wave of scareactor hopefuls who are curious about the process. While there is ALWAYS the possibility it will change, the chances are slim because, well… aliens… But, if this year’s auditions are anything like the past few, here’s a brief explanation of what you can expect.

When you pull into the parking lot, you will likely see a massive line of people in front of Human Resources (that’s the building with the words, “Human Resources” on top of it). Oh, wait, they’ve added that new scheduling system. Let’s assume that you were proactive enough to have visited the website and scheduled your audition. Go ahead and bypass the massive line of people, and walk up to the Coordinator to find out when you can check-in for your rehearsal time. Now you can join that massive line of people. Just be thrilled you don’t have to wait eight hours anymore (unless you want to).

Once the Coordinator allows you to check in, you will enter HR and have a glamour shot taken by a professional photographer who moonlights as a Coordinator for HHN. Smile, glare, pick your nose, whatevs. (Personally, I’ve always tried to look intimidating. But that’s only because the beauty of my smile could kill a small hippo.) They will then check to see if you’re allowed to work at Universal (They’ll remember that you were kicked out last year) and you are given your audition number and an audition information sheet.

Through space-age technology, you will be guided into a classroom to fill out your sheet: Name, Age, Height, Weight, Availability (what days you can/want to work), pant size, shirt size, shoe size, boxers/briefs, previous experience, etc. etc. In other words: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO BRING A RESUME! Doing so makes you look stupid, and you still have to write everything down. Once your sheet has been completed, you will find your glamour shot from earlier (printed out on the highest quality printer paper) and turn it all in.

At this point, Angry Birds.

A coordinator will call out audition numbers. You will listen, get pissed that your number wasn’t called, and switch to Temple Run.

You eavesdrop on the people discussing this year’s event and you want to punch them because it’s obvious they know nothing.

Finally your number is called, and you wait in the hall with between 14 and 29 other people in numerical order.

And you wait.

You are then taken outside and into the rehearsal hall.

Congratulations! You’re officially backstage at Universal now! You can now die in whatever emotional state you were in when you showed up!

You will line up in rows of five facing “The Table.” Do not touch The Table. Do not even approach The Table. Encroaching upon that sacred ground will cause the rising of the Apollyon, and the rapid devouring of your soul. The Apostates of Nightmares, affectionately known as the members of the HHN creative team, will introduce themselves with voices of sulfur while telling you all about nothing that is happening this year.

The Table will ask the group a question and take answers from everyone individually. The question can be a higher calculus problem, asking for an esoteric explanation of quantum physics, your favorite scary movie or something similar. They may then ask the whole group some vague, absurd thing that will tie into a house (The infamous, “Who’s willing to shave their head?” comes then). They will then flog you as you exit.

And that’s pretty much it: a one to two hour process for two questions. You will wait outside the rehearsal hall, where they may call certain individuals to come back in the ritual sacrifice of taking off their shirt or being invited back for a speaking part or a role in “Bill and Ted.” However, once The Table’s bloodlust has been satiated, they will divide everyone into two groups: Those who made it and those who get to start drinking at Ale House early.

If you make it (and are a new hire), welcome to the second-most-attended theme-park resort in Central Florida! You get to fill out your new hire paperwork, schedule your orientation, and then receive the supernatural orange sheet that you can frame on your mantel.

If you’re like me and just went TL;DR, here’s a quick rundown:

1. Sign-In

2. Paperwork

3. Angry Birds

4. Calculus

5. Sacrifice

6. Beer. Or something.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 2

Thanks much for that, Legacy! Sounds like not much has changed except that you actually schedule your audition now.

Do you know if Bill and Ted audition is still the same? They ask you to come back a different day and provide a short monologue and whatnot?

Do you know if Bill and Ted audition is still the same? They ask you to come back a different day and provide a short monologue and whatnot?

I've never been to the Bill and Ted audition. It's an open-call as well, while people with certain looks will be invited back. From my understanding, it has to be a one or two minute monologue in character (ie-the pop-culture character).

EDIT - I do want to add one thought. They do look at people with Improv/Dance experience during the audition process. If you have any of that, a resume could really help get you invited back for Bill and Ted, a dance or speaking role.

Edited by Legacy

EDIT - Found the article! Mark (or any of the admins), feel free to take this and pin it somewhere in the forums for future reference.

(Yeah... I'm the guy who wrote the article for HHNinPhotographs).

Thank you for posting this Legacy, it is very helpful! I am definitely going to keep this, if it is ok with you, so that I can use it as a study guide, for when auditions come closer!

On my previous resume I put that I had experience being a Kung Fu instructor, do you think this would go against me because it would make me seem like I might fight back if someone tried to hit me.

Unlikely.

Thanks, I guess im just paranoid.

Does anyone think it would be bad to wear black because it would hide ones body-type?

Personally, I wouldn't try to hide your body type (other scareactors may disagree). The entire audition is predominately a body type-out. While your face is just as important as your body, it really boils down to being comfortable yourself. The room is a dance rehearsal space, so even wearing all black "exposes" your body for them well enough.
  • Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't try to hide your body type (other scareactors may disagree). The entire audition is predominately a body type-out. While your face is just as important as your body, it really boils down to being comfortable yourself. The room is a dance rehearsal space, so even wearing all black "exposes" your body for them well enough.

Thanks for all of your help :)

I have a question for previous scareactors. I know Universal wants actors to work the full event, and if you request too much time off at auditions it will hurt your chances of getting casted. I was wondering how much time is asking for too much? Is asking for 2 or 3 days off the season too much?

I have been cast, as of last night, 6 years in a row. I ALWAYS specify that I cannot work or rehearse on Sundays and Mondays. Mind you, I have not been cast in permanent roles...only as back up. The bottom line is that you should be honest and straight forward with your availability. For your integrity and to show respect for the casting panel and the event.

I have a question for previous scareactors. I know Universal wants actors to work the full event, and if you request too much time off at auditions it will hurt your chances of getting casted. I was wondering how much time is asking for too much? Is asking for 2 or 3 days off the season too much?

Yes and no. I've been doing HHN for the past 5 years and only asked 1 weekend off and I did not get cast...A bit of a shock to me and several other long-time vets who did not cast as well. I know someone who asked for 6 events off and still was cast. I know for the most part its body type they are looking for. And it seemed to me the big and tall guys are not being cast much this year.

As I said it was a shock, however I had made the decision at the end of last years run to retire on top (HoTY and Performer of the year for Gothic) but I wanted to "ween off" the event. For all the future scareactors (and the current and former ones will probably agree) this is an addiction. Once you get in you can't wait for the next year and the next year. I didn't want to end it "cold turkey" but I guess I don't have a choice.

• Like 2