Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

Also, is the story of La Llorona as big in Florida as it is in Southern California?

That just depends. I was speaking from an urban marketing perspective. There are a lot of Latin Americans and people of Spanish heritage in Florida. (Mind you, I do not speak from a racist or bigoted view point. If you think I am, then look up what the "urban market" actually is.) And thus with that population, there's probably going to be at least a slight influx for a house like that.

However, do not discount the possibility that La Llorona has nothing to do with this event. We may actually be looking at a house based on the movie mama. All I know about this year is that IP houses are going to be in a large quantity.

I must thank the Ifrit and the Good Doctor.

Even if all my guesses are wrong, exercising my cognitive abilities is very beneficial to me (for health reasons).

Making me think or even over think is very much appreciated.

I am also going to separate my guesses on the clues. As it appears, Jimmy's and The Ifrit's clues are not coinciding.

I could make the argument that Kevin could relate to We need to talk about Kevin. Which leads to mother and child relationship, and that could lead to La Llorona and/or Mama. It just seems a little far fetched.

Also, is the story of La Llorona as big in Florida as it is in Southern California?

I'm Cuban American and from Miami, so I represent the flood of Florida Residents from South FL that bombard HHN every year lol...La Llorona is, I believe, a Mexican urban myth. The majority of South Florida is NOT Mexican, but instead Central or South American, and is therefore not familiar with the story. I personally had never heard of La Llorona before HHNH started using it. However, I think it could be successful, if it's given the right marketing. Actually, aiming at the Hispanic demographic in Florida might be a great idea for their numbers....so who knows.

In the United States alone, an estimated 28 to 35 million Hispanics have grown up with stories of La Llorona, with this vengeful ghost considered by many to be the Latino world’s “best kept secret.” The majority of these “believers” are located in California, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Illinois.

I'm Cuban American and from Miami, so I represent the flood of Florida Residents from South FL that bombard HHN every year lol...La Llorona is, I believe, a Mexican urban myth. The majority of South Florida is NOT Mexican, but instead Central or South American, and is therefore not familiar with the story. I personally had never heard of La Llorona before HHNH started using it. However, I think it could be successful, if it's given the right marketing. Actually, aiming at the Hispanic demographic in Florida might be a great idea for their numbers....so who knows.

I too am Cuban American from Miami, and being obsessed with ghost stories, I knew of La Llorona before HHNH did the first house in that "franchise". But what Christy says us true. Most Hispanics in Florida are from Central/South America or the islands. I'm certain La Llorona never made it to Cuban folklore, however if I do the research I'm sure there is some variant of the story somewhere among the Central/South American cultures.

With that in mind, if they do La Llorona as it was in Hollywood, Uni will need to bring the GP up to speed on the legend, or else it may become the "I Don't Get It" house of the year.

• Like 2

This is true, Jeff. I haven't seen the movie yet, I guess it borrows from the legend?

It involves a crazy spirit and her child/someone else's children and her abduction of other people's children. Other than that not the same.

There are plenty of legends throughout the world like La Llarona.

I don't think it would be really hard to get as a house. A evil ghost drowns children in search of her own. Of course yes it would be nice to get a queue video... But people would get the general premise. If that were the case no one would understand the "original" houses.

• Like 3

This is a breakdown of Hispanic demographics in Florida from the most recent US Census:

Florida

HISPANIC OR LATINO AND RACE

Total population 15,982,378 100.0%

Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 2,682,715 16.8%

Mexican 363,925 2.3%
Puerto Rican 482,027 3.0%
Cuban 833,120 5.2%
Other Hispanic or Latino 1,003,643 6.3%
Not Hispanic or Latino 13,299,663 83.2%
White alone 10,458,509 65.4%

Read more: Florida Demographic Statistics http://www.infoplease.com/us/census/data/florida/demographic.html#ixzz2QHLUsmiD

So, it would then appear that Mexicans only make up 2.3% of the Florida population.

I don't think it would be really hard to get as a house. A evil ghost drowns children in search of her own. Of course yes it would be nice to get a queue video... But people would get the general premise. If that were the case no one would understand the "original" houses.

Good point. I have a bad habit of underestimating the general public lol. Edited by nikifury138

Even given the numbers, I wouldn't count a La Llorona or mama house out at this point. Although I've heard mama was a bit of a flop, however I have yet to check it's box office sales. The only thing I can think of other than these two that we've been talking about is the house based on south American legends that was planned for last year. Or perhaps it's a completely new entity, and in that case we'd have no idea.

Mama was actually one of the highest grossing horror movies in recent years... It was successful enough for Universal to want a franchise sprung from it....

Also, when I say "flop" I mean that in that at least the people I know who saw it didn't really like it. Given the sales I'd say that it's logical to assume that a mama based house, or something similar to it, would be present this year. As has been speculated in the past.

Also, considering that Guillermo del Toro is somewhat of a big name now, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Edited by Dr. John Overwatch

Also, when I say "flop" I mean that in that at least the people I know who saw it didn't really like it. Given the sales I'd say that it's logical to assume that a mama based house, or something similar to it, would be present this year. As has been speculated in the past.

Also, considering that Guillermo del Toro is somewhat of a big name now, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

some people not liking something does not mean a movie is a flop.

You will have to count the movie rentals and Blu ray purchases.

Actually, speaking of Del Toro....did anyone see the spanish film The Orphanage? GREAT horror flick...and falls into line with the whole children/spanish/paranormal idea.

• Like 2

I just thought of something.

Considering the sensitivities of the Orlando area, would UO play down the role of children in the La Llorona myth, making it far more likely for Mama confusion?

I'm hoping we would not get the BM version of La Llorona, but last year's instead. I could see such confusion and arguing and fandom inconstitencies.

Although, they could reuse 08s billboard.

Actually, speaking of Del Toro....did anyone see the spanish film The Orphanage? GREAT horror flick...and falls into line with the whole children/spanish/paranormal idea.

I love it. very sad film actually, I don't think about it as a horror movie, but as a deeply sad film. The end was a little too much for me.

Aren't they remaking that in English now? I remember reading about that.

I just thought of something.

Considering the sensitivities of the Orlando area, would UO play down the role of children in the La Llorona myth, making it far more likely for Mama confusion?

I'm hoping we would not get the BM version of La Llorona, but last year's instead. I could see such confusion and arguing and fandom inconstitencies.

Although, they could reuse 08s billboard.

I honestly wouldn't know. Orlando being sensitive to that type of thing has been a topic of many debates. I'd say it depends on how prominent they make the children.

I had actually forgotten about the "no children at hhn" thing. Really, I'd say it depends on both current events and how fresh the 2001 child kidnappings are in peoples minds. Then again Orlando's policies on that confuse me. They can imply children are dead with the yellow school bus prop and things like the orphanage, but they can't have things like Cindy.