Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

JDW

So we have the Resident Evil house rumor for this year...

As most of us know from last year, UNI Japan obtained RE for their HHN event due to their pre-existing partnership with Capcom. While unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any footage from the house built inside T2:3D (at least none that I have found yet)... we at least can take a look at what was done in the street for a scarezone.

Obviously this would be perfect for NY... however, it is not possible due to the popular Superstar parade that runs daily. I'm not too heartbroken about that because they could still do a smaller scale RE SZ in shrek alley. But I figured I'd show off what Japan pulled off..

They building projections are A LOT better than ours were for Acid Assault. Then you've got the Licker & zombie dog scareactors walking/crawling on all fours. The other scareactors climbing on cars & other scenery.

That is just f*****g amazing. All I can say is if we do get this I hope some scareactors do that backwards crab walk like that one girl did. ;)

That is just f*****g amazing. All I can say is if we do get this I hope some scareactors do that backwards crab walk like that one girl did. ;)

I think we had at least one Warrior doing that walk last year, so I think it could definitely happen.

I'm another that thinks surname is Walker for TWD. From all I've been reading, it really seems that a second TWD house is as close to a sure thing as we're going to get this time of year. If this does happen, I agree with those who say that Uni should do what they need to *cough* money *cough* to ease up the restrictions AMC put on last year's house. Using the prison could work beautifully, but I would really like to see the non-biter characters this year, plus not put so many restrictions on allowing our performers to scare as they do best. The talent most assuredly is there, both in creative and performance. Here's hoping the handcuffs will be off this year.

• Like 2

Well regarding TWD....

a friend of mine said that he was told the same rumored house line up that we have, but with one difference. He was told TWD would NOT be returning. Instead some other IP would be in its place. This is the first time i've heard this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Although it's not exactly unheard of for us to share an IP with Hollywood & then not repeat it the following year(s) while they do.Two examples would be:

- 2008 Hollywood used the Big 3 again

- 2010 Hollywood used SAW again

So it is possible that Hollywood could get it, but not us. Unfortunately, due to the ungodly crowds that stupid house brought into the park with its 3 hour+ waittime, it will probably be forced upon us.

Perhaps the surname hint (if it is indeed Walker) refers to zombies in general, and not specifically TWD. That could give some more legs to the Resident Evil rumor and after watching that video, I'm pretty excited about that possibility.

• Like 2

Why the excitement after watching the video? Honestly.

I legitimately don't see Orlando doing those sorts of "shows." Watch the crowd in that video, and you will see how different Japanese crowds are when compared to American crowds. They stand back and watch the performances. They're quiet and respectful of the show.

That wouldn't happen here. Universal would likely be cautious in letting scareactors climb over props (though they may be more willing after last year), but I could see Orlando drunkards pulling zombies off of cars or kicking a girl doing a crabwalk.

As cool as it may have looked... I would temper expectations.

• Like 1

Well as Kathy mentioned, one of the Warriors would crab-walk across the ground last year. And as for guests kicking a scareactor, you should already know they'll do that no matter what the scareactor is doing..

Unfortunately, I believe the last time scareactors climbed on any props that comes to mind would be 2005. A Cemetery Mines miner would climb on top of his mine shaft. Even after last year, I wouldn't expect that type of freedom.

and the excitement for the video is because it shows people what UNI could pull off as far as scareactors go... however, i dont have faith in as good of qaulity building projections. We haven't seen scareactors on all fours in quite a few years (referring to the Licker & zombie dogs).. Then how cool Nemesis looked. Thats why people are fapping over the video footage.

and the excitement for the video is because it shows people what UNI could pull off as far as scareactors go... however, i dont have faith in as good of qaulity building projections. We haven't seen scareactors on all fours in quite a few years (referring to the Licker & zombie dogs).. Then how cool Nemesis looked. Thats why people are fapping over the video footage.

Well, even the Licker was nowhere near the crowds, and even the dog was standing on a stage, away from the crowds.

If a scarezone happened (which I, honestly, am leaning away from), it would be likely Nemesis and bunch of zombies. And that's about it.

That wouldn't happen here.

As cool as it may have looked... I would temper expectations.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. First of all, the fact that HHNO isn't a dry event changes a lot about what Uni will let their scareactors be vulnerable to during performances. Secondly, the American crowds are, as legacy mentioned, MUCH different than japanese crowds...and it's simply a difference in culture, and in how we treat others and expect to be treated. There would be teenagers screwing around with scareactors doing crabwalks, and trying to climb onto props like that themselves. I mean, just look at the whole Disney freak out after that Toy Story debaucle with the "Andy is coming!" meme. People overdo it here in the states...they don't know how to reign themselves in, and they expect things to go the way they want, when they want it. It's our individualistic culture versus Japan's collectivistic one.

On a lighter note, however, seeing that Uni is capable of what is showcased in that video is great. Japan's natural inclination to be ahead of the curve in terms of technological advancements in comparison to the US goes beyond theme parks, but can be shown quite well with those projections. The fact is, they're in use, they're successful, and one day, we can probably expect that same level of tech here...one day far far away perhaps, but one day nonetheless. As I mentioned before, I think Uni is gearing up to start using more technology in their parks, as we saw in their attempt with the HU games last year using the scanning cards. Sure, they weren't foolproof, but they were THERE, and they got us excited and participating. That says something...it says they're willing to use new technology, even if it may not be perfect, and even if they don't have it all figured out. Many other companies would never take a gamble like that during such a huge event.

• Like 4

^don't forget Christy, they now have that new screenplay app for the movie/ride posters at the park near Potter 2.0... wouldn't be surprised if that new app tech was taken advantage of in some form, although i also don't expect it.

Well, even the Licker was nowhere near the crowds, and even the dog was standing on a stage, away from the crowds.

If a scarezone happened (which I, honestly, am leaning away from), it would be likely Nemesis and bunch of zombies. And that's about it.

yes unfortunately... although we could get the game characters like they did... They featured Jill Valentine & Clare Redfield.. I know they also had the Tyrant (or some other mutated Umbrella Corp creation) walking around. I'd honestly expect an RE scarezone to be in Shrek Alley..

I do believe there was a video featuring one of the zombie dogs running through the street instead of just pacing back-n-forth on the main stage.

^thanks for posting that, I forgot to do that earlier...

well if the 'TWD NOT RETURNING' rumor is true, then I could see R.I.P.D. being the IP in its place. It could have house potential. However, Jeff Bridges character annoys the crap out of me. Although i've never read the comic so the trailer was off-putting for me when i watched it last night. The movie is a lot different from what I had expected. It'd probably be in vein of 2010's Zombiegeddon as far houses go, only with monsters.

And before anyone says it... yes it resembles MIB with dead people.

• Like 1

well if the 'TWD NOT RETURNING' rumor is true, then I could see R.I.P.D. being the IP in its place. It could have house potential.

Is it that big of a franchise to have IP house potential? I'm not familiar with it, but I wasn't aware it had a big following like that. I think for something to be an IP, especially an IP that can replace TWD in its ability to permeate different generation gaps and GP taste differences, it needs to be huge...i.e. followings of shows like true blood, GoT, AHS, etc. (I work for HBO, I'm biased, so sue me lol)

^thanks for posting that, I forgot to do that earlier...

well if the 'TWD NOT RETURNING' rumor is true, then I could see R.I.P.D. being the IP in its place. It could have house potential. However, Jeff Bridges character annoys the crap out of me. Although i've never read the comic so the trailer was off-putting for me when i watched it last night. The movie is a lot different from what I had expected. It'd probably be in vein of 2010's Zombiegeddon as far houses go, only with monsters.

And before anyone says it... yes it resembles MIB with dead people.

He put me off a bit at first too, but I'm getting more used to him with subsequent viewings. And I completely agree with the MiB vibe.

I think there's some precedence for that. Both Doomsday and Dead Silence were featured at HHN, and they didn't have a huge following. At least, not that I'm aware of.

Going along with Surname being some sort of zombie house, what about Zombieland? It's got zombies, it's got a pilot for the series premiering on Amazon Prime, and it's a pretty well known brand name. It also blends comedy and horror fairly well, with the rules being a unique angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v_7Zc7PuAVU

^haha I was just going to point out Doomsday :lol:

I had forgotten about the Zombieland tv series... but if we went the UNI property route, NBC has Hannibal.. and as we mentioned before A&E has Bates Motel.. so really, any current tv series is popular.

The reason why I'd say R.I.P.D could be an IP house is only due to the fact that its a UNI property. It'd help generate dvd/bluray sales. Which is the reason why Dead Silence & Doomsday were created as houses. If its not a house, it'll most likely be parodied in B&T..

Is it that big of a franchise to have IP house potential? I'm not familiar with it, but I wasn't aware it had a big following like that. I think for something to be an IP, especially an IP that can replace TWD in its ability to permeate different generation gaps and GP taste differences, it needs to be huge...i.e. followings of shows like true blood

THIS! THIS! A TRILLION TIMES THIS!

Is anyone else a little weary about Cryptic Comment #3?

It's too easy. The Good Doctor is clever. Assuming Surname = Walker = TWD or zombies in general seems so obvious. Could it be a red herring?

Redfield = Resident Evil is a little bit harder.

But even then, people were bound to guess it.

Next guess Surname = King, because I can link him to just about anything.

Expanding on my King thought.

Surname = King = Firestarter = Government Experimentation = Shadow Creek = Dogs of War.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 1

^well as I pointed out with my guesses for it regarding RE.... it could be applied to any of the main game characters. Although "Albert Wesker" would probably the better guess only due to the fact that he appears in more of the games than any of the others.

And i'd say the only reason why "Surname" would be linked to TWD for being "too easy" is due to the fact that last year, the clue for TWD was "Winnebago". Which is completely obvious as well.

Of course the one thing we have to keep in mind is, while we do have a rumored house list.... it is not exactly a confirmed list. Seeing as I pointed out on the previous page, we could actually end up NOT having TWD. (Doesnt matter its popularity with crowds, Freddy/Jason/Leatherface & SAW both brought in the masses... sure not to the extent like last year, BUT marketing didnt shove it down our throats until we choked on it those two years like they did last year either.)...

Is anyone else a little weary about Cryptic Comment #3?

It's too easy. The Good Doctor is clever. Assuming Surname = Walker = TWD or zombies in general seems so obvious. Could it be a red herring?

Redfield = Resident Evil is a little bit harder.

But even then, people were bound to guess it.

Next guess Surname = King, because I can link him to just about anything.

Expanding on my King thought.

Surname = King = Firestarter = Government Experimentation = Shadow Creek = Dogs of War.

Again, Surname is too broad a clue to allow broad or complicated thinking.

Lovecraft

Poe

Hitchcock

Shakespeare (Patrick just saw Titus Andronicus)

Resident Evil (Redfield)

Evil Dead (Raimi)

Jaws (Speilberg)

The list of possibilities is too infinite to try and consider anything other than the simplest solution.

Remember, the Walking Dead clue last year was Winnebago... which wasn't exactly difficult.

Lovecraft

^we do know they've been working on a Lovecraft house for the past 2-3 years now. So its possible.

^popular, well received sequel/remake, almost got a SZ for Army of Darkness in 2009, had the "MidEVIL DEAD" (aka- AoD) scene in Silver Screams

^lulz... the running joke for Hollywood last year. But here's some total wishful thinking... Spielberg relating to ET ride, meaning the ET haunted ride conversion that was once dreamed up but scrapped. :lol:

011ccdc4a85a11e28cc022000a9f308d_6.jpg

The lyrics are from this song:

The hint attached is: An American patriarch reveals the clue when the Principal yells.
You have the episode and YouTube to figure out what I tell.

The lyrics written also have a misspelling about bees, the background also have bee like colors. Typing in SCTPPS SPELLING into google brought me to the scripps spelling bee. The image matches their logo as well:

logo.gif

http://www.spellingbee.com/

Edited by Dr. John Overwatch

I'm hoping this might be the year they have a Lovecraft house.

As for that clue, the lyrics are from the song Be My Baby by The Ronettes. Funny enough, produced by Phil Spector who's been in prison for years on Second Degree Murder charges.

[Edit]

This could be correct, or a stretch.

I figured the clue has to do with a television show with a Spelling Bee related episode.

So I made a quick search here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_bee#In_television

When I read "American Patriarch," the first person I thought of was Homer Simpson. There is a Spelling Bee related episode, and the show does have a very prominent Principle character. (Skinner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sRYsccumzA

Also, the hint posted has a yellow Simpson's color. (Kind of looks like Homer's eye) Unlike the regular Scripps logo.

spelling_bee_20110602050144_320_240.JPG011ccdc4a85a11e28cc022000a9f308d_6.jpg

[Edit 2, misread the original clue. Trying to find when Skinner yells, not homer.]

I'm hoping this might be the year they have a Lovecraft house.

As for that clue, the lyrics are from the song Be My Baby by The Ronettes. Funny enough, produced by Phil Spector who's been in prison for years on Second Degree Murder charges.

[Edit]

This could be correct, or a stretch.

I figured the clue has to do with a television show with a Spelling Bee related episode.

So I made a quick search here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_bee#In_television

When I read "American Patriarch," the first person I thought of was Homer Simpson. There is a Spelling Bee related episode, and the show does have a very prominent Principle character. (Skinner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sRYsccumzA

Also, the hint posted has a yellow Simpson's color. (Kind of looks like Homer's eye) Unlike the regular Scripps logo.

spelling_bee_20110602050144_320_240.JPG011ccdc4a85a11e28cc022000a9f308d_6.jpg

[Edit 2, misread the original clue. Trying to find when Skinner yells, not homer.]

Skinner sings a version of "Schools Out" by Alice Cooper.

The show "American Dad!" has an episode titled "spelling bee my baby" which involves a school principal. Might warrant a look at the episode.

Also American patriarch=American dad

You might be right.

An American Patriarch (American Dad) reveals the clue when the Principle yells. He yells "Shakespeare, b*tches!"

He does, I found that pretty interesting too. I think it's either one or the other. I'm sticking with the Cooper reference from Simpsons.

• Like 1