HHN 2014: Dracula Untold: Reign of Blood

Ridesandstuff

‘Everyone thinks they know the story of ‘Dracula’,” said John Murdy, Creative Director at Universal Studios Hollywood and Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights.” “But there is much more to the tale than just a dark figure lurking in the shadows, drinking blood. While Dracula Untold will reveal the origin story of the man who became Dracula, our ‘Halloween Horror Nights’ maze will invite guests to experience the atrocities Dracula imposed on his victims in the most frightening and immersive way possible.”

This is going to be so weird seeing a castle in the middle of Parisian as the facade. But I degress.

Hey Murdy, since we have two vampire mazes this year and two mazes set in castles, I don't want to hear any excuses for not having Resident Evil if TWD returns next year. Got it?

• Like 2

This is going to be so weird seeing a castle in the middle of Parisian as the facade. But I degress.

Hey Murdy, since we have two vampire mazes this year and two mazes set in castles, I don't want to hear any excuses for not having Resident Evil if TWD returns next year. Got it?

Thisss! Also they better have insidious and another paranormal maze next yearr. And CITW

I'm not complainging, but I think this may or may not be cool. We'll see. I'll say this though: Knott's Haunt unveiling event >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dracula announcement.

Freak, did you mean to say Knott's Haunt unveiling is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ?

• Like 2

Yeah we haven't really seen the movie, but I have the feeling there will be quite a bit of creative freedom. Like Murdy's quote said, he's going to show a lot of the horrors that Vlad did, so there's plenty of real life material to work with.

Just kind of unfortunate that no one will be able to see the movie before walking into the maze for 3/4 of the length of HHN (movie comes out Oct 17). Not thrilled with this, but still looking forward to the line-up overall.

• Like 2

Like I said earlier last month, the FDTD vampires and Dracula vampires are really different from each other visually, so I don't see a problem with the whole "two attractions with vampires" thing. I suppose I'm just underwhelmed because I didn't really want it, hahah, but the more I think of it, the more I think it would be cool to have a sort of "historical slasher" at the event, if they're going with the Vlad the Impaler inspiration angle more than the traditional vampires one. Medieval horror is of my favorite horror aesthetics, so hey, I'm down. And besides that, sorry to say, but I think it has way more potential than any of the paranormal options like the Conjuring, Ouija, etc.

• Like 4

Like I said earlier last month, the FDTD vampires and Dracula vampires are really different from each other visually, so I don't see a problem with the whole "two attractions with vampires" thing. I suppose I'm just underwhelmed because I didn't really want it, hahah, but the more I think of it, the more I think it would be cool to have a sort of "historical slasher" at the event, if they're going with the Vlad the Impaler inspiration angle more than the traditional vampires one. Medieval horror is of my favorite horror aesthetics, so hey, I'm down. And besides that, sorry to say, but I think it has way more potential than any of the paranormal options like the Conjuring, Ouija, etc.

That aspect honestly doesn't bother me that much. It's just the lame excuse of not having RE because of it. Again, I think this could be cool.

That aspect honestly doesn't bother me that much. It's just the lame excuse of not having RE because of it. Again, I think this could be cool.

I didn't think it really bothered you, but other people are definitely going to bitch irrationally about it. Some already have (coughaamcough). :') Besides budget, though, I actually can see the truth in the justification that it depends on what the IP holders consider competition. For example, when we think zombies, we easily think of Resident Evil and the Walking Dead nowadays. Their popularity is almost on par with each other. They're both really well known. When the GP thinks of vampires though, again just for example, at least 98% probably do not think even once of FDTD. Dracula is more likely to cross their minds. Thus, FDTD is not a threat.

• Like 1

The teaser poster screams "put me in the House of Horrors." I can only assume a treatment was written for HOH, the builders and design team went ahead and started on a full blown maze, Murdy got there and was like WAIIIIIT THAT'S WHERE THE CONJURING IS GOING! "But we're already half way done senor." Murdy calls Jason Blum "sorry, we'll do it next year. Yeah, I'll just rename the codename Empire and pretend it was Malcolm all along."

• Like 4

Thisss! Also they better have insidious and another paranormal maze next yearr. And CITW

let it go dude we don't need to hear about it every single thread.

The Conjuring is not Blumhouse.

I trust Murdy and all but what worries me is...are there horror Elements to this it even seems less then Van Helsing, I admit I have not even seen it but from the whole Fantasy Adventure they were trying to push earlier in the year I get bad vibe but lets hope this turns out for the gbestt happy thoughts!

• Like 1

When I went to KSF, one of my favorite mazes was Endgames, and the source material was from action movies. It was way more enjoyable than the mazes based on more traditional haunt themes. If it were to be done by a park that cared more about quality/hired people who cared/had decent scare design, it would have been amazing.

Doing a mostly action flick maze does seem a bit weird, but then again WTMN went on to be the highest rated maze of that year.

The venue is going to be tricky to work with though.

I recall in 13 I said this was coming in the HOH, so I said it first.

Not in HOH but it came.

Who gives a shit.

People can't name every upcoming or previous IP and be like, "CALLED THAT SHIT!"

I like Trick 'r Treat, so I'm officially calling it now in 2014 for the future.

• Like 1